Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Spotters

• 17-08-2008 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ArturPL

Does anyone know where at or near the Dublin Airport can spotters make their pictures?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ArturPL wrote: »
    Does anyone know where at or near the Dublin Airport can spotters make their pictures?

Assume you mean 'take' their pictures.
    Go towards the Carlton Airport Hotelfrom Santry. This is just off the Old Airport Road. At the junction beyond the hotel take the left,you find yourself on a road parallel to the main runway in Dublin with a layby and raised mound great for spotting. Not sure what the road name or number is,sorry.

If going into airport from M1: take first exit at roundabout rather than second exit for airport. Follow road for 6-900 metres.Take a right and you find yourself on the road parallel to the main runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ArturPL

Ok, thanks.(of course 'take' sorry about that)
    Is there any problem for people with the camera(Garda or Airport Security)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Its all good Artur, go and ejoy!:)

Here is what i posted for guys on UKAR, hope this helps:

Hi there, let me help!

The Airport is now ranked 8th busiest in Europe for international passenger traffic and 14th in the world.

Dublin is Ireland's biggest airport by far! The airport recieves a wide range of operators from long haul american carriers to european low costs, The airport is of course a Ryanair and Aer Lingus hub with a steady stream of movements throughout the day.

There are numerous spotting posts, but the best is Along Runway 28 ( 10/28 ) along the Old Airport Road which I have highlighted here for you as a Red Circle, the Bus Stop is highlighted in the Yellow Circle more or less directly under approaching aircraft traffic:

untitledgh.jpg

Wind direction determines what runway they use at the airport either the East/West (10/28) runway or North/South (16/34) but to be honest its always 10/28.

There is work being carried out on 10/28 at the moment but that is only happening at night between 11pm and 5am so you should be ok.

Before you come over here it would be of use to you to go to http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/ and on the left you can print off the timetable for Aircraft arriving and departing on that day.

For arrivals see here: http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals.asp

For departures see here: http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures1.asp

Common sights would be US Airways,Turkish,Swiss,Sky Europe,SAS,S7,Ryanair,Malev,Luxair,Lufthansa,Lithuanian Airlines,iberia,Germanwings,FlyGlobespan,Flybe,Etihad Airways,EstonianAir,Delta,Czech Airlines,Continental,Cityjet,Centralwings,BMI,BritishAirways,AmericanAirlines,AirTransat,A
    irSouthwest,AirFrance,AirCanada,AirBaltic,AerLingus,AerArann,AdriaAirlines plus numerouse Biz and Military Aircraft.

Radio Frequencies
    Clearance: 121.87
    Ground: 121.8
    Tower: 118.6
    Approach: 121.1
    Area South: 124.65
    Area North: 129.17

When you arrive in the Airport etc just hop on a bus for the City Centre but as you leave the Airport keep looking for the Aircraft coming in and press the stop button to get off at the approach, there is a bus stop literally under the approach! Cross the road and walk down the Old Airport road to the spotting location highlighted above, it will be easy to find as its usually swamped with cars/spotters etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Should make this thread a sticky, excellent info there by Steyr. Anyone with other useful info for other airports should post up the same then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ArturPL

Thanks a lot. I'm going to go there on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just to note Dublin south is now on 120.05, changed from 124.65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

If they're using runway 10. The best position is at the entrance to an industrial complex which is literally opposite the threshold. There are two nice mounds which make a good camera position and provide an excellent view of the aircraft lining up. You can see it easily on Google Earth. Bit of a walk though. A bit of a cheat though would be to go to the airport and get on the long term car park bus. The long term car park is quite close to the end of RWY 10.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John L36

Hi guys, hoping you might be able to help?????

On a visit to Dublin on the 8th October 2008, I saw a B747-400 in the SR Technics hanger, it looked to be red in colour! Does anyone have a registration for this at all?????????????

Huge thanks in advance

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Could it have been this one. I know it's an SP VP-BAT and you mentioned 747-400. But?

1028698M.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John L36

Hi Diver, thanks for the FAST reply!!!!

I did think it was more red than that one.....and with winglets!!!!

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chris.Globe

Hi guys, Myself and a few other spotters are planning on visiting Dublin on 26th August, does the information above still stand, or has there been any changes in the past 12 months? We're all flying over on various morning Ryanair flights from across the UK (Edinburgh, Manchester, Stansted and Bristol mainly) so we wont have a car. If Runway 10 is in use, is there a bus service or similar to travel to there? Any further information would be greatly appreciated! Chris, Manchester.

Hi guys, Myself and a few other spotters are planning on visiting Dublin on 26th August, does the information above still stand, or has there been any changes in the past 12 months? We're all flying over on various morning Ryanair flights from across the UK (Edinburgh, Manchester, Stansted and Bristol mainly) so we wont have a car. If Runway 10 is in use, is there a bus service or similar to travel to there? Any further information would be greatly appreciated! Chris, Manchester.

Info above is more or less the same.

I think there is a swords bus that runs near the spotters road- somebody from Dublin will advise perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The info in the first post is still correct. You could be cheeky and come out of the terminal building, across the road, straight through the car park to where buses set down. Get on a quickpark (bright green) bus, its free, and it will bring you to the long term car park shown above (between red and yellow circles.) You can then leave the car park, turning left out of the entrance and left again onto the old airport road. This runs parallel to 10/28. The majority of the time 28 is in use, but could be 10 or even 16/34.

There is a layby opposite the 28 and 34 threshold.
    85908.jpg

As for getting to the threshold of 10 if it is in use, the only way I know is to walk (it'd be about 3k from the car park to the end), but others may have other ideas?

Glad to see you coming over Chris, will this be a UKAR Spotters visit?:) Chris does have some very good shots on UKAR indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Again, to be cheeky, if 10 is in use you could try getting the bus to the long-term (Blue) off-airport parking about half-way along 10/28.

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-maps/car-parking.html

Not sure if they'd ask to see a parking receipt before taking you but I'd say that's unlikely.

Thanks Stee and EchoIndia, that sounds like a good plan, can't fault free buses, do it here at Manchester airport far too often :P

Steyr, it's not a UKAR visit, no. There's a couple of people from UKAR (charles022 and Martin Needham) as well as 4 or 5 from IVAO (A Flight simulator organisation :))

Bring on August 26th! :D If anyone knows of anything at is neither Aer Lingus nor Ryanair that's due on that day, could they be kind enough to let me know? :D )I say not EIN or RYR as I'm expectinbg to see lots of those :P)

You'll generally get early morning (5-7am) inbound from the states, a330s (air lingus) and 767s (AA) and they head back west over the course of the morning and early afternoon.

It's usually EI and FR are the majority, but there is a good few other regulars. Nothing like Manchester, you won't see 747s here anymore unfortunately. There are some cargo heavies and regulars like Ethiad 767s, sas md80s, air france (city jet) bae146, aer arann atr72s etc

Being a wednsday there might not be many charter flights but you may get lucky.
    Check out these closer to the 26th
    http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals.asp

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures1.asp

Thanks Stee, here's hoping for some decent cargo movements or similar, seems like S7 Siberia and Star1 are ThursdayFriday :( Ahh well!

Thanks Stee, here's hoping for some decent cargo movements or similar, seems like S7 Siberia and Star1 are ThursdayFriday :( Ahh well!

If you are there VERY early you will see some of the night cargo items, varies from day to day

Sadly I'm arriving at 08.55 on the RYR553, it's the earliest flight there is :(

We'll just have to hope really :)

• Advertisement

Stee wrote: »
    you won't see 747s here anymore unfortunately. ]

I dont know about that, Air France Cargo F-GIUD Boeing 747-400 ERF was in Dublin on Saturday 08/08/09.

Steyr wrote: »
    I dont know about that, Air France Cargo F-GIUD Boeing 747-400 ERF was in Dublin on Saturday 08/08/09.

That was a one-off instead of the 777, wont be a regular occurrence

That was a one-off instead of the 777, wont be a regular occurrence

I know that, but 777's will go tech from time to time.

Steyr wrote: »

Ah ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Artur.PL

I have lost my password long time ago...
    I have been there and I have taken a lot of pictures but I'am amateur only, so only a few of them are ok (in my opinion of course)
    There was a nice man who told me a lot of very interesting stories about aircrafts.

2131535200071878186kfGfGW_th.jpg2426177780071878186bTArzc_th.jpg2594998300071878186gsIbae_th.jpg 2059015720071878186TAOLsN_th.jpg

the camera was Olympus SP 510UZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Original Steyr

Artur.PL wrote: »

2131535200071878186kfGfGW_th.jpg2426177780071878186bTArzc_th.jpg2594998300071878186gsIbae_th.jpg 2059015720071878186TAOLsN_th.jpg

the camera was Olympus SP 510UZ

Artur, they are very well composed and crisp shots, well done, lovely.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Artur.PL

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Artur, they are very well composed and crisp shots, well done, lovely.:)
    I concur. The camera helps but its the hand holding it that takes the shot,and the person who decides when to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Qantas

Think Air France used a 747 on Saturday last 30-1-10 was working out near Sutton and at about 11:20 sure i saw one of their 747 heading into land on 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Because this keeps getting asked im going to sticky it for you all.
    andy

Advertisement