Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else studying in the UK?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

I'm currently studying Graphic Design at Chester University in England. Going in to 2nd year in October. Great course, love it!

Anyone else studying in the UK? What do you think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Crazy Niall

Last year I studied in London in a place called Drum-Tech, it was the best year of my life. I learnt so much in such a short space of time and I can honestly say I met some of the most beautiful people in the world. It really warms my hear to think of them each day.
    I did a course called a master performance course, it is a one year intensive performance course catered to preparing you for the real world of a working musician and I am happy to say that it really works, I am currently working for a signed artist called Polly Scattergood in london, we are having lots of fun and playing lots of gigs and I can happily say that it is my profession to sit behind a drum kit and play music every night.
    The college also offers a diploma course and a three year degree and also 3 month certificates as well as private lessons and tailor made courses.
    As for faculty, well you are talking about some of the best musicians in the world and certainly the best in england.
    Anyway this is starting to sound like a plug it really isn't meant to. I just loved the college so much.
    I suppose what I am trying to say is that in Ireland there is no such course and I found that to be frustrating, I also found it frustrating to be told that I would have to enter the classical realm of music if I wanted to play and even then I may never become a professional. Little did I know that a 1 hour flight away was my own personal heaven.
    So my answer is yes I studied there in London and it was amazing, I would advise anyone who wants something better to go and do it.
    Also if anyone is interested in the tech music schools you can get in touch with me, I would love to have a chat about it and I can sort you out with info as well if you need it.
    I hope this gets to you all safe and sound, Crazy Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

From the last two posts, it seems that if you want to study any performing arts/design/music, UK is the place to be.

I'm studying product design in Ireland and the standard of tuition is not as good as in some British design schools. However, what you make of it is 90% all down to yourself. You'll just have to work a lot harder in an Irish design school than in British one to achieve the same standard of work as that of Royal COllege of Art, etc, but it's all possible.

I guess same applies to many other occupations. Am I right or am I wrong?

I'm thinking of doing a year abroad in the UK. Are there are any product designers on this forum who studied there? What was the overall experience like? Did you learn anything useful there that you would never ever learn in Ireland?

Finally, is it worth all the effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

I got my BSc (Hons) Psychology in Dundee. Going back now this month to do PGDE in Primary Teaching in University of West of Scotland.
    I would highly recommend anyone thinking about making to move to study in the UK to go for it. Its a brilliant experience and, in most cases, the UK qualification is more recognised and better.
    Also, if you study in Scotland, all fees are paid by the SAAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NY152

What qualifications do u need to go to Scotland? Im doing a B.A in St.Pats, I reali wanna do primary tho, could i apply for that primary course in Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

NY152 wrote: »
    What qualifications do u need to go to Scotland? Im doing a B.A in St.Pats, I reali wanna do primary tho, could i apply for that primary course in Scotland?

Yep you sure can! I'm presuming you mean the Postgraduate then if you're already doing a B.A.? You need the same qualifications you would need in Ireland. Minus the Honours Irish for Primary Teaching of course. (This is what I'm doing this year). Some Uni's in Scotland require a B in Honours Maths, but the majority don't in England.
    Its a year long course, and when you come back to teach in Ireland you have 5 years (in which time you can teach, but I presume we'd the teach younger classes where a lower level of Irish is needed) in which to pass the Irish Exam for Teachers qualified abroad.
    When are you finished your current degree? You need to apply the December before you wish to enter the course. So for this September the closing date was December 6th 2007. The applications for next September's intake will be opening this September or October. So get your application in there early, cause as with any teaching postgrad, competition is fierce!
    Hope that helps some bit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NY152

Thats great thanx a mil!! im going into 3rd year so i'll be gettin my application ready!!!! How much are the fees for that course? You've been a great help!!!:D

Advertisement