Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭enfield

It was bought in England by a fella from Cork and its probably the best of its kind in the country from what I have heard over the weeked. 4.2 litre 6 Cylinder engine and 4 ton weight. He drove it to the show with the top down looking out through the periscopes, the mad thing but he did not go over 30mph and do you know something? no one objected.(Secret) sshhh the 30 calibre you see on it is not a real one. It will be in Salute in August. There was a guy there selling East German uniforms and British Army DPM by the way. He was from Cork and I had not met him before. He did have an interesting TP-T (Target Practice Training)90 mm round on the table but it was not for sale.
    Sorry for rambling on....its an age thing.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Tom are these Ferrets fairly common around the country and what price would something like this cost?,I took a photo of two of these at the Innishannon steam and vintage rally,I was told by a friend of mine that the guy who owns the model shop I get my models from has one of these,haven't seen him in a while so I must ask him when I do.By the way if you make it to kent have a good one.

I have seen hese ferrets go for up to 10 grand in euros. They guy told us he bought it for something like 3,500 sterling. The mechanic has been in touch and its on again. We leave on saturday night, hit Wales just after midnight and then the hard part kicks in, the drive. Its all motorway so it should not be too difficult just tedious. I have arranged truck parts from a Dutch Company who have a stall at Beltring to bring them along and I will collect them saving me postage. I intend to buy a tent there and the best thing about it all is that I get to the stall holders two days before the public are let in. That puts me ahead of the Irish Militaria Clubs who do their main trading before the doors are open to the public. I will be wearing my Irish Army uniform there. I might bring a small bit of stuff to sell there also to help with the petrol.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Tommorrow is the last day if you want me to photograph or price anything particular in Beltring. I will be heading off on Saturday morning and hope to get there lunchtime on Sunday. Got a great job done on the brakes, greased up all the joints and checked the bearings. The truck is in good order also, lol. You can zoom in on it (Beltring) from a picture of last week (There are thousands of people there already) on Google earth, just search for Beltring.
    Last chance guys................for requests, pics etc.
    Tom

I came back last night and was wrecked as you would expect. It was a 7 hour drive from there to Pembroke and then another two and a half hours to get home after the ferry landed. Well Beltring had lots of stuff as you would expect. I seen more Lewis guns for sale than ever before prices started at £3,600, you could get a vickers on a tripod with all accessories for £1200. No4 enfields were a bit pricey at £220 and SMLEs started at £285. Thompsons and all the variants began at £190 and went up to £400 and the old Gustav could be had from £170. I picked up a beautiful 1903 pattern British Army bandolier with a curved pouch (dont know what that was for). Mortars were cheap starting at £2, army shirts for work started at fifty pence and the dearest dpm other than the ww2 german patterns was the Danish for some strange reason. I priced a siren for the truck and they ranged from £125 down to £70 which I bought from a German dealer. In the Vehicle section, if you envisage a scene from mash with the vehicles and sandbags etc then multiply that by a hundred times bigger. Lots of period uniforms and people wearingf them. On my fifth day there I was still finding stalls I had not seen before and I even got my name in the War and Peace Book with my little truck. If you go to Google earth and type in Beltring you can zoom down on it and get a feel of the place but I dont know how old the picture is. It cost £25 for the week for to have the truck and camp with all the facilities. There were Broomhandle mausers starting at £575 but not one FN FAL as used by the Irish Army. Lots of Belgian look alikes but not one with the energa Launcher sites. I seen live blanks for sale and live ww2 dated 7.92 mauser ammo. You could buy flares that came down in a parachute, 3 for a tenner. Grub out of burger vans was dear and unappetising, icecream was dear but a lot more creamy than the Irish stuff. Beer was £3.60 a half litre in those plastic glasses and was not nice. There was supposed to be a shop on the site but I never found it. Lots of guys from various clubs in Ireland were there and re-enactors from Ulster. Everything was extremely friendly as usual. The guy who was secretely filmed in the Beer tent last year ranting on about the national front and the Arian race and how to keep its purity was there and got an awful slagging. Ther bBelgians had a great stalll where they sold stuff dug from the battlefields of both wars. I noticed that two of the fuzes for sale still had their gaines which means they are live. You could buy Mills bombs with no accessories and one of the shoulders broken for £2 and the FN FAL bayonets (the Imbel, or applecorer as they sometimes call it for a tenner. SMLE 1907 pattern bayonets with ww1 dates of issue started at £50 up but you could buy cheaper ones with some damage for £25. There were girls ther dressed up in uniforms and period clothing and they looked great. The guys wore American, German, British, Navy, and Russian uniforms. One guy wore his Grandfathers ww2 Japanese uniform and he looked the best. I wore an irish Army uniform for a day just to say I did it and carried a gustav. Nobody took any notice of me which I liked. Will I go back next year, no. The drive is horrendous and you never know if the old girl will give up the ghost on the way. I had to laugh coming back through security in Pembroke with the truck and the big sign on the front saying EXPLOSIVES. The security girl opened the door of the cab and asked with a wry grin, 'Have you any Explosives or weapons?' No says I. She let us away with a smile. The Irish Garda in Hollyhead asked us are we Irish and what we had in the back and we said Yeah and just stuff from the show and he waved us through. There were two stalls in Beltring by two Irish Dealers one from Waterford and one from Cork. Crowds were down from last year so either the recession is beginning to bite or they did not want a repeat of muck of last year. I forgot to say that I bought two tarpoulins 9 metres by 3 metres for £20 each, knitted them together and made a huge tent that 10 guys could sleep in. I will have it in Salute. When you are away the two things you miss are yer own jax and yer own bed.
    Good to be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Great post Tom!

You did that so well I was right 'there' with you.

The old Gustav sounds like a bargain. I'd give an arm for one, but I suppose our authorities here would make the owning of one very problematic indeed.

I have two of the cut-down grenades (Mills 36) from the time I used to teach soldiers how to use them and how they work. They make a good conversation piece in the home.

Ahh I'm lusting after a Lee Enfield and a Gustav.

Thanks again for the post Tom, you'd make a great reporter.

Jim

Just going through the pictures we see a great display of weapons from Ryton Arms, in front you will see the Maxims and as far as I remember they were only about £375.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008043.jpg

The Spitfire that flew overhead was great also.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008040.jpg

I also liked the Ruskies and their tank.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008072.jpg

Among others titbits was an 84mm Carl Gustav Recoilless rifle.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008074.jpg

World Wide Arms had a nice selection also with their ww2 Vickers out front.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008076.jpg

The bargain rack.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008083.jpg

For the serious collector of Ordnance.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008091.jpg

Cheap and cheerful.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008106.jpg

The first aiders.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008120.jpg

Two land girls.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008121.jpg

Pile em high and sell em cheap.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Beltring2008127.jpg

Tom

I am still unloading the truck, you know how long it takes when its all dumped in untidy like. I will post a picture of some of the items I picked up in Beltring maybe later.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Here are a few items purchased in Beltring. I unloaded from all the other camping stuff in the truck, more tommorrow when I get through it. Decorum dictates that I cannot show you everying I bought, I know you will understand what I mean. I also got a pair of medals to the RI Regiment but I cannot find them, they will turn up later.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=BeltringBringbacks.jpg

Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Great collection of photos Tom.

I liked in particular the collection of Brens.

By the way... check the date on your camera. (Now you know I really did look very carefully). :D

Thanks again Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Looked like a great show Enfield! Christ, all those guns! :eek: Especially the SMLE's and No4's, I wudda been like a kid in a sweet shop! :p

Going to HAVE to make it to Salute, nothing to stop me (I hope).

What date are the bandoleers? The curved pouch looks like a bren mag pouch made for the Home Guard, shouldnt be attached to the bandoleer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Some great photos Tom,if you could only do a sixty second trolly dash:rolleyes:

Funny you should say that Croppyboy. I have a posting on a ww1 forum asking for an id and they said it could be an add on for a bren, Madesn or some other LMG but he said he had a 1903 pattern British bandolier with the same pouch added on to it. See the whole post here;
    http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102437&st=0&p=965110&#entry965110
    I posted a picture and it was exactly the same as he has so I am waiting for more information from them.
    Caffreys Army will be at Salute and make yourself known to me and I'll let you handle any gun you like. I usually hand the weapons out to the public to handle. 'If you can name it you can handle it' is my speel. You can handle a sten, Gustav, Mauser, Webley, Luger, Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, and some of the other rarer pistols, rifles and MG's. He also brings willies jeeps and who knows what else? The one rifle thats missing is an Irish Army FN, for some reason they are rarer that rocking horse droppings. In all my travels I have not seen one. The Ozzie guy who sells the BBs can get an SLR and add the Belgian Flash eliminator to it but it lacks the Grenade launching sight and the automatic selector. It also has the shorter muzzle than the FN. So it is a waste of money for re-enacting, even if it is a BB gun. 360 smackers is too much for something thats not right.
    I will be putting on a display of inert Mortar rounds and bayonets myself.

Regarding the date on the camera, its all rocket science to me, I click, it takes an image and thats where I finish. I leave the rest to the techies.That picture was taken this evening.I also bought a great ww2 British army issue Bell tent which I will be sleeping in.

A one minute trolly dash you say? in Beltring? You would have a heart attack.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

enfield wrote: »
    Caffreys Army will be at Salute and make yourself known to me and I'll let you handle any gun you like. I usually hand the weapons out to the public to handle. 'If you can name it you can handle it' is my speel. You can handle a sten, Gustav, Mauser, Webley, Luger, Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, and some of the other rarer pistols, rifles and MG's. He also brings willies jeeps and who knows what else? The one rifle thats missing is an Irish Army FN, for some reason they are rarer that rocking horse droppings.

Wow! I'm there so! :D

Could it be that Irish FN's are rare because they are still in storage here? I remember seeing and armoury room a few years back which had racks upon racks of FN's.

'Could it be that Irish FN's are rare because they are still in storage here? I remember seeing and armoury room a few years back which had racks upon racks of FN's.'
    Beats me

There is a vintage rally in Inistioge in Kilkenny this day week and we are bringing a couple of vehicles. I will put on a small display if you are in that neck of the woods it might be worth calling in.
    Regards.
    Tom.

The will be an agricultural show 200 yards from Nenagh on the Borrisokane road on Monday. There will be three military vehicles there and a small display of weapons and mortars etc. Starts around 11am.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I meant to add that we cannot attend Inishtioge tommorrow, sorry guys. It happens but Monday is on in Nenagh.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Beltring looked like a blast, I couldn't make it as my landlord in Kent hasn't sorted the house yet. Will still be here for Salute though :).
    How much were the boxed Brens? I tried getting one off Ryton arms a while ago but they had stopped shipping here when their carrier stopped dealing with toy guns. £220 they were if I remember correctly.

I connot remember what the boxed brens were as I did not price them. They were plentiful and the best time to buy them in Beltring was on the last day. I was also asked how much the 84mm Carl Gustav Recoilless rifle was going for afterwards was but I did not price that because I was not asked to. Surprised Ryton is not shipping to Ireland, they were usually the best and world wide arms are mainly doing stuff they got from the opening up of the Russian Armouries, i.e weapons from the siege of Stalingrad and re-stamped with the TULA arsenal logo. They have a fine selection of Russian weapons at reasonable prices...if you are in to Russian stuff.
    There were other weapons sellers there that would send 'items' to Ireland no problem. All de-acts of course. If you wanted to go down that road you must go to Beltring yourself and make your own contacts. No-one in Ireland will buy weapons in Beltring to sell in Ireland, it aint worth it.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

I tried to buy a DP off Ryton and they told me they had stopped selling to here.
    I'm just going to wait until I'm living there and bring them home myself (college course so I'll be back and forth). Like I said elsewhere; If I can figure out how to send them home easily I don't mind relaying for anyone having trouble with UK sellers as long as they let me in on any good deals :).

In a previous post I explained the procedure to obtain a permit for a de-ac. If you go into a Garda station and say you have a de-ac and want to keep it legally he can arrest you becuase it is illegal to have one without a permit. You must first go to a gun dealer and give your weapon to him or ask him to get you a de-ac. It will be a doddle for him and you wont have to go seaching for one yourself. Then get a headed paper note from him for the Gardai stating that he has a de-ac for you but will only give it to you when you produce a permit issued from the Gardai stating that you have their permission to have it. The gun dealer will keep the weapon until you show him the permit. Pop the note into the Garda station with a letter stating that you have never been in trouble with the Gardai, your reason for wanting it and where it will be kept. The permit is usually signed by the Superintendant and stamped. Mess about with this procedure and it will be left on the long finger. Tell them you already have a de-ac and you can get into trouble.
    As I always say. DO IT RIGHT and you only have to DO IT ONCE.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I meant bring them home myself as in bypass dealers and apply to Gardai and Justice myself. I've already applied and received 2 authorisations.
    The problem with Ryton was they wouldn't use a carrier that would ship anything outside the UK. So my plan was to buy easy there to my UK address and bring them all back legally when the authorisations and import licence were ready. No plans on doing anything illegal!

Here is a nice little post on the ww1 forum, enjoy.
    Tom.
    http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103469&hl=
    hl=

If you use firefox you may not be able to enter, browse it on explorer.
    Tom.

Dead link, what was it?

It opens straight away for me. Are you using firefox?. It opens easily on my explorer browser.It was pictures from a Militaria fair in a place called Neuvic-sur-l'isle. lots of nice items.Another fair on the Somme earlier this year also.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Internet Explorer; maybe you need to register to view?

Maybe thats it. I am registered and it opens for me. I use both browsers.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Dont forget guys there is a Fair on this Saturday in the North Star Hotel, downstairs this saturday from 10am. Its located across the road from Amiens Street railway station. A fiver in and should be good. I met the dealers in Beltring. They said that there was slim pickings to be had and they might not go next year. They love going through boxes of badges etc there but this year there was little of that sort of thing. Still the items that they had not bought for their own collections will be on sale. Its usually the best fair of the year. I'll be there myself having a good root. Keep an eye out for a red mess tunic with the Royal Irish Rangers badge on it. I had to push the guy on to it because he was passing it by. He bought it for 7 English quid. It will be interesting to see what he is selling it for on sat. If the Cork dealer is selling at it he will have a few ww1 dated 1907 SMLE bayonets available with the correct tear drop stud on the scabbards. He usually sells stuff reasonable and will haggle.
    Enjoy the day and remember if you ask and they say they dont know, dont buy it! They are dealers and only buy what they know.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Advertisement