Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My cost for folding 24/7

Options
  • 07-08-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

After almost a week of folding i can work out the cost of what it is to keep my machine on 24/7. I have an energy meter connected up to my computer. It tells me what watt its using and also keeps track of how much KW i used.

Im using Rig 2 from my sig.
    use 161watt when folding at 100% cpu.
    3.864kw used each day.
    Each kw from ESB cost 14.45c before tax so i round it up to 17c each unit.

€0.66 rounded up or €4.62 each week or €240.24 each year.

We are due around 17% ESB price increase in the coming days & early next year ESB are looking to rise this again.

Anyways i do about 150points a day i would say. And for the price to keep this machine going for such bad return its just not worth it. Will be making a better folding machine in the coming months.

Rig in mind.
    Some SLI motherboard
    2x 8800GTS
    Intel q9550 i would like
    2 Gigs of ram
    600Watt PSU
    This machine will be used for folding and a network for all my machines and also linky my brothers computers up useing w-lan.
    It should be cheap to buy the parts and build my self. Only the CPU is going to be costly i might end up going for the Q9450 and the prices of these chips are due to go down in price in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You should probably take into account how much you use the PC too - even idle it's probably around 70-100W. It doesn't look good, but you could probably waste similar amounts of money or more by leaving lights on, leaving the TV on, boiling more water in the kettle than you need, leaving the immersion on when you don't need it, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

On idle it burns 125watt.
    When playing games it use's 235watt.
    Well im checking e-bay each day to try and build my machine. Just won 2 Video cards. So i hope in the next month i will have all my parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Charlie. i gotta say. With the price of power and the return on investment for folding, I;d say dump teh 1950 and just get a 8800 GT. ;) Great points to be had, and some ncie overclocking. Even on a 8800 GTX I can get a rate of 5500 PPD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

riptide wrote: »
    Charlie. i gotta say. With the price of power and the return on investment for folding, I;d say dump teh 1950 and just get a 8800 GT. ;) Great points to be had, and some ncie overclocking. Even on a 8800 GTX I can get a rate of 5500 PPD!

Im doing that, the 2 video cards i have are 8800GTS, they are ment to give around 4000PPD each & i have 2 of them on my way.

So far for my folding server machine i have..
    P180
    2x 8800GTS
    4Gigs of DDR2 pc8000 ram
    Intel 2 core E6600 2.4ghz (im getting this cheap but will replace this when i find something better & not cost the earth)
    SeaSonic PSU

All i need now is a MB and a Cooler for my CPU & all the parts to arrive. Have an SLI MB in mind and hope to be ordering it soon just note sure on the CPU cooler yet.

Advertisement