Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quiz #3 - Europe (Closed for New Entries)

• 12-08-2008 3:54pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The point of the game is pretty simple. In a PM to me, answer each of the 10 questions below.

Try to think of the most popular answer, to get the most people matching you. You don't want a unique answer, you have to answer with what you think everyone else will put.

Scoring - It's 5 points per duplicated answer so if 5 people all give the same correct answer then that's 25 points. No matches = 0 points.

If you need to comment or clarify a question then do it in thread please. And if you could reply once you've sent a PM it'd keep the thread alive Thanks!

JUST LIKE THIS:

1. Dr Maria O' Brien
    2. Kathy Wells

The game will end when we have 25 entrants or after 5 days, whichever comes first.

1. Name a European capital city. (but not Dublin)
    2. Name any military coup in European history.
    3. Name a composer of classical music from Europe.
    4. Name a former country in Europe that no longer exists.
    5. Name a country invaded by Germany during World War II
    6. Name an European car manufacturer.
    7. Name a singer from Europe who sings primarily in a language other than English.
    8. Name a mountain in Europe.
    9. Name an island in Europe. (but not Ireland)
    10.Name a war mostly fought in Europe.

For the quiz Europe will be defined by the mostly geographical definition of the word meaning that sountries such as Russia and Turkey are inluded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe#Definition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

nice one ponster.. hopefully the good streak will continue;)

How long will this stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ponster youre the best...

Submitting ....>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DMG 1972

Sent - thanks Ponster

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

Entered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I think I really haven't been leaving these open for long enough. I'm still getting answers from people for the "famous females" quiz of last week...

As I said in the OP, the game will end when we have 25 entrants or after 5 days, whichever comes first. But if I get 25 in the first 2 days then I'll probably leave it open an extra day.

What does everyone think about how long I should accept answers for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

ok. got my 1c worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

Done - that was tricky

Ponster wrote: »
    What does everyone think about how long I should accept answers for?

It depends on the responses. I think you should go for a numerical value rather than a chronological target (i.e. a set number of replies rather than a set number of days/hours). It's unfortunate for people who miss out due to not checking the forum, but thems the breaks. Obviously if you get 15-20 in the first hour or 2 then you can set a higher target for the number of entrants.

Cheers for organising them by the way. Great idea and a breath of fresh air in a forum that doesn't get as much traffic as it deserves.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

done- i think we'll get much lower scores in this one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I entered as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

For Question #2, does it matter if it was a successful or a failed coup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

PM sent
    Glad to be in this one. I didn't have time to enter the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Done, but I accidently titled my message "USA Quiz" :o So Ponster, when you see a new PM from me that says "USA Quiz" it's actually my answers to the Europe one! Oops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Done, thanks Ponster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

thanks,i entered the last one too late...:o
    sent,that was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pm has been sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

entered. Although I couldn't get number 2. I'm not the smartest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Replied.

Thanks again.

Good questions too!!

• Advertisement

cacio wrote: »
    entered. Although I couldn't get number 2. I'm not the smartest.

I had difficulty with question 2 too. I'll be interested to see the answers. I suspect that many of the answers given will be not actually be coups d'etat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

For Question #2, does it matter if it was a successful or a failed coup?

Wow, troubled even getting one out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

I'm there, need a good come back here after a miserable US quiz but good ladies quiz.

Whatever you say goes Ponster, you're the man. Best idea for a quiz in a long time, every answer has the potential to be correct!!!

If you do get board doing them then I think maybe the winner of every quiz should have to come up with the next one!!!

MB74 wrote: »

If you do get bored doing them then I think maybe the winner of every quiz should have to come up with the next one!!!

+1!

MB74 wrote: »
    If you do get board doing them then I think maybe the winner of every quiz should have to come up with the next one!!!

+ another 1

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

PM sent:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks for all the support folks...

I've got about 10 quizes ready to post but if anyone ever fancies submitting my 10 questions (there doesn't have to be a theme) then I'll post them and do the counting-score work.

As for question 2, yeah, some people are giving answers that I wouldn't consider to be coups but I doubt those people will get any points (their answers probably won't be repeated by someone else). I agree though that this one will be interesting.

At the moment every answer has the potential to be correct. I'll post a quiz for the weekend though where every answer *must* be 100% correct because the aim of the game is to give an answer that no one else gives. This type of quiz is much harder to come up with as the questions can't afford to have any loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

PM Sent

Advertisement