Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diocesan purchase

• 18-08-2002 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Howyiz,

Just a query if I may.........
    Not being from -- or living in -- Wexford I have no access to local newspapers, and I am interested to know local reaction to Ferns Diocese purchase of 1/4 million retirement home for Brendan Comiskey.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

well done to the man

he was the only bishop i know who did confirmations drunk
    if this house hepls him in thelater stages of his life then fair play

he served this county well for his stint as bishop

even if the alligations of child abuse against fortune( who christned 3 of my family) were covered up by him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

I think according to canon law the diocese must provide him a decent abode to retire in..
    It must grate badly with the victims-in fact it does-Pat Jackman was saying as much in this weeks Wexford People-I'll link to the article when it goes online..
    Strangely enough, he will be living very close to Slinky (a convicted Paedophile)- anyone one who went to St Peters will know who I amtalking about..
    speaking of St peters..there are plenty of question marks about the ethos of the place..
    I'd say if you had brought up the predilections of some of the staff, Gunter and a few others would have given you a good hiding..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

Bishop Comiskey confirmed me and i always found him to be an ok sort of a man. its not his fault what father fortune did although he did wrong by trying to hide it. after all we all make mistakes and just because hes a religious man doesnt mean he cane make mistakes so i say lay off the man a bit he at least deserves somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Tanx for the feedback.
    For what it's worth, my opinion at the moment is that maybe it's a good thing that he is anchored in the jurisdiction.......... when the inevitable Inquiry comes up he can be easily "sub-poena'd". No need to do a chase/find around Peru/Brazil/Thailand,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Much of what occured with regard to Fortune, etc. did so largely during the period that Comiskey was a well-documented alcoholic. It's hardly surprising, thus that these matters were let slide. Added (and, I suspect, more importantly) to this, that Fortune was apparently a very apt manipulator of people and situations, would have contributed to the obfuscation of any complaints made against him.

With regard to Comiskey’s retirement home, I think it will still be the property of the diocese, and will revert to the diocese after his death. The Church can afford to wait...
    Originally posted by jd
    speaking of St peters..there are plenty of question marks about the ethos of the place..
    ”Thou shalt not squeal” was the accepted maxim, with a traditional hierarchy that was backed up with both official and unofficial corporal punishment. I’m quite happy I went there, as a border, after my Intercert as it was quite a character building experience, but I would not have considered it healthy for any boy to go there, or any single sex boarding school, any earlier.

As such, there are both good and bad things to be said of the ethos there and would have to admit that when the boarding school finally closed its doors, I did feel some regret at it’s demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    ”Thou shalt not squeal” was the accepted maxim, with a traditional hierarchy that was backed up with both official and unofficial corporal punishment. [/B]

Too true.. I remember my brother and a friend getting beat out of a hedge by the two deans of discipline while trying to mitch mass..
    They used hurls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As I said 'character building'...

Advertisement