Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis to stop smoking!!

• 06-08-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm so sick of smoking but i just can't seem to stop :mad: I was thinking of trying hypnosis...has anyone tried it or know someone it worked for? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Laura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Poppers1888

Hi,

I did this in January and felt it worked really well until I went on holidays in March - a group of us, lots of partying and im back on about 15 a day. If you really want to do it the hypnosis will work but its just being strong when your out and times like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Oh my god if i could get to 2 months it would be fantastic!! Can i ask which hypnotherapist you went to?? I live in Wicklow and i know there are some in Naas but don't know if they are any good!! I can't past 3-4 days so i would love to just stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

There's actually a giving up smoking forum on boards

linky

You might find more answers there.

Cathooo wrote: »
    There's actually a giving up smoking forum on boards

linky

You might find more answers there.

Thanks i have justs found it 5 mins ago!! Lol i'm having a looksie...thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Moved from LL.

• Advertisement

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi Laurak, I'm a psychotherapist who is struggling to over come his addiction to smokes. However, on the hypnosis issue I would suggest caution. Because of my profession I have big issues about its practice, but that's more my professional opinion and this thread isn't about that.

What I would say that in my opinion the quality of training in hypnotherapy in Ireland is very poor. I am very careful about who I allow to have influence on my subjectivity and with the quality of professional courses here in Ireland I would recommend to any friend.

However, as I have not met every hypnotherapist in Ireland I can't say all are bad. I know of this working for some people so it does help some people. I would suggest that if you are going to go ahead with it get some personal recommendations from people who have being clients of the said therapist. Best of luck with it whatever way you decide to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Have to say I tried it before and it wasn't much good IMO. There's no quick fix that's going to magically make you stop smoking you have to really want to. If you REALLY want to stop I would suggest reading the Alan Carr book or going to one of his clinic's rather that the Hypnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

has anybody tried any hypnosis? I've seen a few ads in the sunday world and am thinking about doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

I was hypnotised approx 3 years ago. It was one of the strangest things i have ever had done. the hypnotherapist planted lots of ideas in my head the sounded quit odd EG.. every time i would see the colour red i would think about how much i hate smoking and some other strange ones. i know this sounds quite simple until you try to drive and find yourself staring at stop signs, coke lorries, people wearing red. i myself had worn a red rugby top that day and found it hard not to keep looking at it on the way home afterwords.

All that to one side i found it worked unbelievably well. i found that the odd messages she put in my head wore off after about 3 days but the bulk of what went on stuck with me. I was a very heavy smoker at the time ( 40 ) a day and the second i left her office i had absolutely no cravings, no desire to smoke and found the thought of a ciggerette disgusting.

One of the previous posters said there is no magicall fix but for me thats what it was.

I wish i could tell you all good news, but thats not the case. at the time i think about 99% of my friends smoked which didn't bother me at all at first, however after about two months of not smoking and going out twice a week i found out that it is very easy to fall into the old trap ( i'll just have one ) and here i am back to my 40 a day.

at present i am trying to locate the originall hypnotherapist that i used so i can get rid of them for good this time.

Ps; at the time it cost E400. But i saved way more than that by quitting for that lenght of time.

Best of luck.:D:)

• Advertisement

where did you go? is the place still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

I stopped smoking 4 years ago through hypnosis, and would not hesitate to recommend it.
    I smoked my last ciggie outside the door of the clinic (well, my last 4 cigiies in a row if truth be told) and I have not smoked since.
    I am very comfortable around smokers now as well, doesnt bother me in the slightest to be beside someone who is smoking, although the first few months were tough.
    I paid €200 all those years ago.

Archeron wrote: »
    I stopped smoking 4 years ago through hypnosis, and would not hesitate to recommend it.
    I smoked my last ciggie outside the door of the clinic (well, my last 4 cigiies in a row if truth be told) and I have not smoked since.
    I am very comfortable around smokers now as well, doesnt bother me in the slightest to be beside someone who is smoking, although the first few months were tough.
    I paid €200 all those years ago.

where did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

where did you go?

Paul Goldin clinic in Malahide.

www.paulgoldin.com for contact details.

Post back and let us know how much it costs these days, it would be interesting to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Hi everyone, I'm going to see Paula Cummins in Wicklow town this weekend. She had a fantastic article in a magazine and I decided to book a session.

I'm really looking forward to it and I'll let you know how I get on. I have tried the patches twice this year and fallen off the wagon after my 3 months with them on. I also have a box of gum at home when I get those days where Im MISERABLE at the thoughts of smoking 20 a day and feel like giving it a go again. It never works, so I feel I need someone to re-programme me to be absoultuley disgusted at the thoughts of smoking for it to take effect.

Please let us know how you get on!!!!

Hey everyone,

I went for the treatment yesterday. I quit on Friday so now Im on day 3 free from smoking and now a confident non smoker.

I would definitely reccomend hypnotherapy to those of you who have tried to quit smoking with patches and gum and are still smoking. It makes sense to fix the mind where the addiction lies.

I feel great, I went out last night, had a few drinks, didnt think of smoking. When it did occur to me that I hadnt been thinking of having a smoke I had a sugar free sweet instead, bought a pack by chance in the sweet section in Tescos.

Today I cant believe its day 3. Thats really cool. I cant wait until about two weeks and I'll begin walking and slowly jogging, then by week 6 please god I'll be able to breathe and jog at a steady pace.

I'm free!

Free from smoking!

If you want to type what I just typed, get hypnotherapy.

Good luck to you all!

PWL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mrtaylor1981

I think cutting off my fingers and sowing up my lips are the only things that will stop me !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Aryelle

where did you go? is the place still open?
    Hey Mark
    I'm a newbie here and just saw the giving up smoking thread. I have to agree with the previous guy who went to see Paula Cummins at the Wicklow Hypnotherapy Centre because I too read her article which just amazed me on the results she has had with her clients.

So I went to give it a shot because nothing else was working, the patches, the gum, the inhaler........Jeeeez I spent a fortune, and nothing worked. Anyway I am absolutely delerious now that I've been off them for two weeks without any cravings or wanting to indulge in snacking out. She really reprogrammed my mind about smoking.

My brother and Dad are going to her next week too.

Best of luck.
    Aryelle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I had a group session hypnosis and I haven't smoked since. It's been well over two years. I had tried cold turkey in the past and made everyone around me miserable. I was so mean. Gave it up and went back to smoking in just a few days. Next I tried the patches. Still wanted a cigarette- smoked anyway- yes. in spite of the warnings on the carton. Felt miserable in my failures. I prayed about it. Then heard of a hypnotist who visited the local hospitals. He was paid by the tobacco companies as part of the judgement in the lawsuits a few years back.Never believed in hypnosis but it only cost ten bucks. I still can't believe it worked. I'm still amazed that I don't smoke. The thing is it helped me to relax. I feel that was my biggest problem -not the nicotine. For years the only relax time I allowed myself was when I smoked. Something I noticed in the first few weeks was you have to learn how to do everything all over again without a cig dangling from your lips or fingers. Example - coffee without a cigarette- dealing with emergencies- all those times you used a cig to buffer the unpleasant parts of life. Never had a craving that lasted over a few seconds. I am still amazed I don't smoke. It doesn't work for everyone because the friends I went with are all smoking. It doesn't bother me to be around them- only impatient sometimes because there are a lot of places you can't smoke here and waiting on them to have their last drags before starting anything is tiresome, but I used to be right in there with them- just thankful that's not me now. Would reccomend giving it a try and go in with an open mind.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that I too went to Paula Cummins in Wicklow Hypnotherapy Centre to quit the wicked tobacco weed and have to say that I'm still amazed to be still off the cigs over 2 months now and still going strong and don't even think about smoking. She certainly lives up to her high success rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I went to hypno last January after my other half went and successfully treated her fear of Spiders!! I found it worked for a couple of months but by Paddy's day I was back on them full time. I gave up using an E-cigarette a while back and have found it fantastic!!! It works like a real fag but you only draw vapor and nicotine with no harmful tar and chemicals, it's a cool little gadget and even better still it can be used in the Pub as it's not part of the smoking ban as it's not tobacco. heres where you can get more tecnical info www.myeasyquit.com

Aryelle wrote: »
    Just to let you know that I too went to Paula Cummins in Wicklow Hypnotherapy Centre to quit the wicked tobacco weed and have to say that I'm still amazed to be still off the cigs over 2 months now and still going strong and don't even think about smoking. She certainly lives up to her high success rate.

Yeah, Im surprised too Aryelle! I went to see P. Cummins on the 17 or 18th October, Im amazed Im still off them. Well, amazed and absolutely delighted, my hair is so shiny and I feel great!

It was freezing on Saturday night at the pub and I didnt have to put my coat on and go outside to smoke! I was so happy I was warm for the entire night. I feel so sucessful and happy my car doesnt stink anymore. If I see someone smoking it makes me sick and I immediately turn away!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aquarius lady

How long did you have to wait for appointment with Paula Cummins and how expensive was the hypnotherapy. Ready to go for it if I can afford.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Odysseus wrote: »
    Hi Laurak, I'm a psychotherapist who is struggling to over come his addiction to smokes. However, on the hypnosis issue I would suggest caution. Because of my profession I have big issues about its practice, but that's more my professional opinion and this thread isn't about that.

What I would say that in my opinion the quality of training in hypnotherapy in Ireland is very poor. I am very careful about who I allow to have influence on my subjectivity and with the quality of professional courses here in Ireland I would recommend to any friend.

However, as I have not met every hypnotherapist in Ireland I can't say all are bad. I know of this working for some people so it does help some people. I would suggest that if you are going to go ahead with it get some personal recommendations from people who have being clients of the said therapist. Best of luck with it whatever way you decide to quit.

I couldn't agree with you more on the quality and training here in Ireland. It is an absolute joke in many places but there are very reputable places to study Hypnosis. I am a Hypnotherapist myself and I studied for a diploma in clinical hypnosis with The Irish Hypnotherapy Association run by Susan Wallace. I know that the NGH course in Cork is very good too and is run by Martin Kiely. I myself have set up a site for the public to access information and properly qualified hypnotists in Ireland. It's a slow process filtering the good from the bad but there is a good hypnotist near everyone needing one. look at http://www.irishhypnotistregister.com
    Unfortunately I can't advertise myself here but you should expect prices at approx €100 per session with a good hypnotist. Never book block sessions as this is a bit of a scam imho. I am happy to answer any questions and/or make recommendations to anyone requiring help. I am glad to hear that the session went well for the original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If wicklow is a little far, there are a few qualified hypnotists in dublin and most other counties on the irish hypnotist register.

Well I haven't been on in quite awhile, and am delighted to say that my brother and Dad went to see Paula Cummins to quit smoking and are delighted with the fact that they have more money in their pockets and my brother has come off his inhaler, while Dad is walking more with more energy. I have to say that Paula lives up to her 98% success rate as it is 3 months ago now. Her hypnosis really works fab! I don't know how she did it but I've also lost weight too........

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Milly82

Archeron wrote: »
    Paul Goldin clinic in Malahide.

www.paulgoldin.com for contact details.

Post back and let us know how much it costs these days, it would be interesting to know.

And Paul Goldin Clinic in Dun Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭hypnosisdublin

Whatever hypnotist you decide you see, I would recommend you first ask if they supply free back-up sessions if for whatever reason it doesn't work.

A Stop-Smoking session is NOT cheap (I charge €250) so it's a big investment for a person, regardless of how much money they'll save in the long-term by becoming a non-smoker.

Just make sure that it's YOU that wants to become a non-smoker, not your partner or doctor or kids. It must be something you want in order for there to be no resistance whatsover to the permanent change you're making.

I have to send away many prospects, who simply come to me because someone else has sent them. In those cases, hypnosis won't work for them, until they themselves want it to work. Simply put, hypnosis will work amazingly well if a person truly wants to stop smoking. If not, it won't, no matter how good the hypnotist.

So make sure you're 100% ready to stop smoking before you hire a hypnotist!

Paul

• Advertisement

laurak265 wrote: »
    Oh my god if i could get to 2 months it would be fantastic!! Can i ask which hypnotherapist you went to?? I live in Wicklow and i know there are some in Naas but don't know if they are any good!! I can't past 3-4 days so i would love to just stop!

Just saw your posting and see you live in Co Wicklow where I went for my hypnosis session to Paula Cummins in Wicklow Town. Her number is 0404 61198 and email p.cummins@esatclear.ie.

You'll see I posted some other messages on how I found this amazing session. And she's cheaper than most other hypnotists offering quit smoking with a 98% success. Best of luck.

Advertisement