Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watergrasshill Bypass - Toll - Stuctural Funds

• 02-08-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Just wondering did anything come of the objection by Kathy Sinnott that the section from the Watergrasshill Exit to the Toll Booth on the present M8 was funded by EU Structrual funds but which now cannot be accessed by drivers unless they pay the toll at the booth.

I have no respect for this woman. Her idea was that there needed to be a roundabout put smack bang in the middle of the road linking it to the old N8 where the old Watergrasshill bypass project ended.

I'm just hoping that this noncesense was resolved ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Just wondering did anything come of the objection by Kathy Sinnott that the section from the Watergrasshill Exit to the Toll Booth on the present M8 was funded by EU Structrual funds but which now cannot be accessed by drivers unless they pay the toll at the booth.

I have no respect for this woman. Her idea was that there needed to be a roundabout put smack bang in the middle of the road linking it to the old N8 where the old Watergrasshill bypass project ended.

I'm just hoping that this noncesense was resolved ?

Its not really nonsense. If the EU part fund a road project, it cannot be tolled. Part of the EU funded road cannot now be accessed unless you pay the toll. Is it right that this FF lead Government can have their cake and eat it too? Don't think so. Their like Dick Turpin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Its not really nonsense. If the EU part fund a road project, it cannot be tolled. Part of the EU funded road cannot now be accessed unless you pay the toll. Is it right that this FF lead Government can have their cake and eat it too? Don't think so. Their like Dick Turpin.

It is stupid that Kathy Sinnot wants to plod an at level junction smack in the middle of the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Where did you hear that?

Stark wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Don't want to be spreading wild assusations but I think I read it either on here or on SABRE.

I'll try to find the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But didn't the Westlink and the M1 get structural funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

She has an excellent point though, a piece of road built with public funds is now only accessible if you pay a toll.

There should be an exit just before the toll booth.

Plenty of roads are built with a mix of public and private funding.

Would it now be a waste of money to build another exit for no real reason ?

It would be the ultimate in waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The people of Watergrasshill would disagree with you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    But didn't the Westlink and the M1 get structural funds?

I think those sections were always intended to be tolled, whereas the Watergrasshill bypass opened as a 'free' road until the Fermoy Bypass got built.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The people of Watergrasshill would disagree with you.

Hardly anyone drives through the centre of Watergrasshill anymore since the the new layout from the old Fermoy road to the first roundabout was opened last year.

In fact its now slower to go through Watergrasshill to access the N8 and vica versa than going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Same thing is gonna happen when the M7/M8 scheme is opened. A huge chunk of the Culahill - Cashel scheme is going to be inaccessible without paying the M7/M8 toll. Although both schemes will be opening within a year of each other (guesswork) so it wont be as noticable as the Watergrasshill thing.

Plus the M8 Fermoy bypass will be used more as the rest of the M8 comes online. Coming off the motorway will seem like more of a big deal. Also you wont be used to driving on crap roads, you'll be driving on motorway so you'll have more of the 'lets stay on the motorway' than you do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Drogheda Bypass was built exclusively with public funds, but now has a toll, with most of hte money going to a private company - the catch being htey had to build the Dundalk Bypass and have to maintain Drogheda-Dundalk for the next 30 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Victor wrote: »
    The Drogheda Bypass was built exclusively with public funds, but now has a toll, with most of hte money going to a private company - the catch being htey had to build the Dundalk Bypass and have to maintain Drogheda-Dundalk for the next 30 years or so.

The operators signs seem to end at the beginning of the Dundalk by pass.
    As for public funds for the Drogheda by pass, public funds are a lot different to EU grant aid. The crux of the issue is simple. If EU funds built it, then no part of it should be tolled.

Advertisement