Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typo in drop down menu

• 28-07-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

The Palaeontology forum is referred to as Paleontology in the drop down menu. This to me is like writing color. I think it should be changed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

but the two words mean the same thing though? it's not necessarily a typo. is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Paleontology is the US spelling. When I discussed it with the admins, I used the US spelling because I'm american and that is how I spell it and I didn't really think too much about it. The admins obviously used my spelling.

If Grimes wants it changed, it isn't a big deal.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would be offended.

If we want to be pedantic, the etymology is from the french "paléontologie" which is derived from greek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Guanyin, that's pretty much irrelevant. As far as I am concerned the correct spelling of the word is Palaeontology and Paleontology is incorrect. It's a simple argument, it's either changed or not changed.

Guanyin, that's pretty much irrelevant. As far as I am concerned the correct spelling of the word is Palaeontology and Paleontology is incorrect. It's a simple argument, it's either changed or not changed.

Your concerns are noted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=623 Precedent?

I didn't realise you were CatMod Guanyin. But I have to admit your attempts to Americanise boards.ie annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it IS color. duh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=623 Precedent?

I didn't realise you were CatMod Guanyin. But I have to admit your attempts to Americanise boards.ie annoys me.

Are you suggesting your aggressive tone would be OK if I was a normal user?

I've made attempts to Americanize boards.ie???

This is all news to me.

No, I feel the tone of my posts must have been lost in translation. :p

I mean as CMod and you're willing to let it slide it's no big deal. I just thought you were a normal user so I wanted the CMod or admin to acknowledge the mistake and change it if possible. In the same vein as if the Science category was labelled Sceince. It just bothers me for no other reason that it being (imo, I see your opinion differs) incorrect.

If this was www.boards.us (a website aimed at and used by predominantly Americans) I'd fully encourage the use of color and Paleontology. But it isn't.

Oh I just discovered you're PSI. Well that changes things a bit because I understand you're normally a rational person, I didn't recognise your name so I presumed your clinging to the American spelling was slightly irrational.

I admit, I am fulfilling my patriotic duty to americanize Ireland.

We've succeeded in phase 1: Reducing your IQ's with reality TV shows and phase 2: increasing obesity levels in Ireland.

Once we have you spelling like us, we can move on to the 4th and final phase where you elect shady characters as your political leaders.....oh, wait... hold on...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Do Americans spell science as a sceince?

Those crazy bastards... no wonder they don't believe in evolution.

• Advertisement

:pac:

I accept your point.

Just to make it clear I've no personal gripe with America or Guanyin, just the use of Paleontology outside of America.

Do Americans spell science as a sceince?

Those crazy bastards... no wonder they don't believe in evolution.

I believe in evolution, I just believe that it happened over the space of 6,000 years as designed by God.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

You say potato, I say...

smashey wrote: »
    You say potato, I say...

Lets not get started on Dan Quayle here...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As far as I am concerned...
    And.. you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I am just dying to make a thread in feedback called "GuanYin's Misspellings and Americanism".

nevf wrote: »
    I am just dying to make a thread in feedback called "GuanYin's Misspellings and Americanism".

Well I did forsake my own heritage, why would I care about yours? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Will somebody PLEASE think of the children.
    What's paleontology in txt spx anyways?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Next thing you know the americans will be giving great gobs of money to shadowy, previously unknown groups to campaign for the Irish to put a spanner in Europes growth towards threatening them as a dominant power.

Jesus... what has gotten into me today.

DeV.
    ps: we should probably follow the "irish" spelling of it.

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

If you can do that it would be great. (please :) )

As I said, it was nothing intentional, when I was PMing Vex I obviously used my spelling and he just took that. I didn't even consider the issue so the oversight is mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

While we're at it can we change the spelling of "Racket sports" to "Racquet Sports" please.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Both done.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Much obliged :)

Not to be a bore and a nuisance but the names in the drop down menu haven't changed although the fora names have been corrected.

SteveC wrote: »
    Will somebody PLEASE think of the children.
    What's paleontology in txt spx anyways?

Paleo ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not to be a bore and a nuisance but the names in the drop down menu haven't changed although the fora names have been corrected.

AKAIK, that's a javascript add-in, not quite as easy as renaming the fora concerned.

Paleo ;)

Palaeo just doesn't work - too long.....:eek:

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Long long ago, back when boards was but a virgin paddling in this vast ocean of interwebs, the forum menu was dynamically generated every single time you loaded a page. This was cool. Every forum which had new posts had a little star beside their name. Of course there were less than 5,000 members then, and rarely more than 200 concurrently surfing, so it was actually possible to read every new post.

Then there was a very sudden (and now familiar) slow down on boards. Cloud linked it to this menu, and changed it from a dynamic menu, to one which was statically generated every time Cloud added a forum. As a consolation, a smaller dynamic menu was added with our subscribed forums, which still showed new posts in those forums. We were promised that this was temporary and the full dynamic menu would return in time.

That was 2003. Of course, to dynamically generate the menu now would be a joke. There are nearly 1100 forums (going by the forumid), so you'd probably need a webserver dedicated to nothing but servicing requests for the dynamic menu. Not forgetting of course that most people only visit a handful of forums, so the dynamic subbed menu is by far the superior solution.

The normal menu gets generated automatically once a day. No doubt by that same humble script which served us so well back in that primordial pool of boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DeVore wrote: »
    Next thing you know the americans will be giving great gobs of money to shadowy, previously unknown groups to campaign for the Irish to put a spanner in Europes growth towards threatening them as a dominant power.

Jesus... what has gotten into me today.

DeV.
    I got it.
    I can't remember their name though.

Advertisement