Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vida

thanks carlty. everyone on this seems real nice. very helpful. ill keep the questions comin but just cant think ok any at the min. headin on hols tomorrow so tryin not to think too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

vida wrote: »
    thanks carlty. everyone on this seems real nice. very helpful.quote]

We have our moments. Enjoy your holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭doug-26

vida wrote: »
    thanks carlty. everyone on this seems real nice. very helpful. ill keep the questions comin but just cant think ok any at the min. headin on hols tomorrow so tryin not to think too much about it.

Enjoy your holiday vida, try not to stress yourself out about it too much!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MrAnderson

If you think waiting for the results is the killer try waiting to sit the actual AC - I still have over 5 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still I keep telling myself I am lucky to be here AT ALL what with the IST recount and all - mind you have to do especially well here to make up for the lower score!

Tis always good if theres a bit of camaradarie - however think I'll be immersed in my notes too much to do much chatting!!!

Anyway, you must be glad its over - now just sit back and relax(!) and wait for the results :D

MrsGeneHunt, thanks, yeah I think the best thing is just to get stuck into work again (as much as I'm looking forward to it!) and try and put it out of the head for a while.
    You'll be grand once you get there, I found that it's very easy to get immersed in everything on the day so it helps take away a bit of the nervousness.

Carlty, I didn't have any idiots in my group, but there were those who were making comments as banter but I remember psni saying that it's best to go with the 'stay grey' approach so I was staying out of it!

MrAnderson wrote: »
    MrsGeneHunt, thanks, yeah I think the best thing is just to get stuck into work again (as much as I'm looking forward to it!) and try and put it out of the head for a while.
    You'll be grand once you get there, I found that it's very easy to get immersed in everything on the day so it helps take away a bit of the nervousness.

Carlty, I didn't have any idiots in my group, but there were those who were making comments as banter but I remember psni saying that it's best to go with the 'stay grey' approach so I was staying out of it!

I think the 'stay grey' approach was more for the assessors benefit, not the other applicants, but you're probably right to keep a relatively low profile. Who knows whether someone sitting next to you is a plant? :eek:

Should I start a seperate 'Conspiracy Theories' thread?? :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Hi all, long time since our last exchange. Been pretty quiet round here what with it being mid-AC's and post intake phone calls. Let's hope it's just a wee lull and GCBC & Co get the call up for Sept soon.

Carlty, good advice on the AC, couldn't agree more.

Hope you're all doing well. I have my fingers crossed for yas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hey JVB

Hope ya got my text today with my new number?

Chat to ya soon mate

Alan

Hey JVB

Hope ya got my text today with my new number?

Chat to ya soon mate

Alan

I did mate, thanks. Keeping track of you on this board is like chasing a ferret. Not that I'm saying you resemble one :p As soon as I post on one thread, you pop-up on another :D

carlty888 wrote: »
    I think the 'stay grey' approach was more for the assessors benefit, not the other applicants, but you're probably right to keep a relatively low profile. Who knows whether someone sitting next to you is a plant? :eek:

Should I start a seperate 'Conspiracy Theories' thread?? :rolleyes::D

Lol, that's the last thing we need!

Seriously, for anyone who's done it already, did they feel like they did really well on all the sections, or just a couple?

I personally found the interview the hardest for some reason because I'm quite good at talking normally :D

MrAnderson wrote: »
    Lol, that's the last thing we need!

Seriously, for anyone who's done it already, did they feel like they did really well on all the sections, or just a couple?

I personally found the interview the hardest for some reason because I'm quite good at talking normally :D

I think everyone comes out feeling a little differently about it. I actually enjoyed the situational interview. I know, I'm a freak!

It's hard to say how well you've done until you get the feedback. What you think might have been a great answer, might actually be crap and vice-versa. :o

• Advertisement

I think everyone comes out feeling a little differently about it. I actually enjoyed the situational interview. I know, I'm a freak!

It's hard to say how well you've done until you get the feedback. What you think might have been a great answer, might actually be crap and vice-versa. :o

Exactly, it all comes down to how many boxes you can tick within the main criteria, and my/our interpretation of answers mightn't tally up with the right answers. But, if the average is good then that's all the better.

By the way, you don't need a separate 'Conspiracy Theories' thread because Boards has already got one, and I think one will be enough! Think I'll leave them to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

just done my a/c today and to be honest if i do half as well as last year ill eat my hat, found role plays hard to get into, think ill keep my fingers crossed i get in through c 13,dunno if it's this hold up with my vetting but i couldn't seem to get into as well this time,in saying that i think coming away last year i thought the same and ended up doing quite well:confused:

just done my a/c today and to be honest if i do half as well as last year ill eat my hat, found role plays hard to get into, think ill keep my fingers crossed i get in through c 13,dunno if it's this hold up with my vetting but i couldn't seem to get into as well this time,in saying that i think coming away last year i thought the same and ended up doing quite well:confused:

Don't be too down beat Uncleneilly. I know it's a hard old slog but this process has a knack of catching people out and providing good news when people have least expected it. There is hope, you just have to believe in yourself. Good luck mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I have just slightly under five weeks to wait to do my AC and the wait is killing me!

Would just like it over and done with!

Mind you keep reminding myself that I am V lucky to be here at all sooo....

Hard not to get disheartened when so many of you have already done it and received your Vetting:(

I know they cant do the Merit Pool til everyone has completed the AC but even so:( sometimes imagination runs away with me and I get to thinking that the assessors will be fed up to the back teeth by the time mine rolls around and not give a rats ass. I Know they wont but you know, when you cant sleep in the wee small hours and the brain starts ticking...:rolleyes:

Pah! Just wanted to vent and get it out of the way!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

Hey,

as a new comer to the board, can i firstly just say a big well done to all those who seem to be getting vetting forms through, im slightly jealous!!

I had my AC yesterday, as a first timer, i didnt really know what to expect from the day.

When arriving, i didnt feel as nervous as i thought i would. In fact, didnt really have much time to get nervous.

For me, the situational interviews were the hardest part of the Assessment, felt i probably rambled too much! im feeling like this is going to ruin any chances i had of passing.

Good luck to those of you who were in my group yesterday, and to anyone else either awaiting their results, or still to do the AC.

FM

i done mine fri morn out near the airport were you same time /place just wondering if you may have been in my group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

:)at least ye all have the ac over with this is my first time doing it i have another 20 days to wait and i have to say its getting to me at this stage however goodluck to 1 and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

:)at least ye all have the ac over with this is my first time doing it i have another 20 days to wait and i have to say its getting to me at this stage however goodluck to 1 and all

I know you're feeling, mine is yonks away too!!!

:)at least ye all have the ac over with this is my first time doing it i have another XX days to wait and i have to say its getting to me at this stage however goodluck to 1 and all

Tfitzgerald, your a/c is around about the same amount of days as mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭MAKEPEACE

Hi everybody,
    Just want to say try not to worry about ac. You can only do what you can so there is no point stressing. Secondly (as I fear that I am now a vet of the board :() I'd just like to suggest against mentioning ANY locations etc. particularly in the current climate and with reference to what Hugh Orde was saying the other day. I believe PSNI had said this before and its just that disclosing any wee bit of information about ac's can be risky.
    Cheers guys.

• Advertisement

MAKEPEACE wrote: »
    I'd just like to suggest against mentioning ANY locations etc. particularly in the current climate and with reference to what Hugh Orde was saying the other day.

Whoops, foot-in-mouth time again, I always do it! Post edited. In future I'll stick to PMs, not the public forum.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

alright everyone, just registered there after a few times of coming and reading!!! i first read this thread when there was 3 posts, before registering, and it got fairly packed now!!!

my date is on the 12th of august, if i remember correctly!!!

whats the best gear to turn up in, a suit or such like?!?! ill have to invest in one of those bad boys, im only 18 haha. i was by far the youngest punter at my first test!!! :)

regards, smyffalis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i bet everybody with a back garden is out there today digging it up to see if they have there own little goldmine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

i done mine fri morn out near the airport were you same time /place just wondering if you may have been in my group?

sorry uncleneilly, my asessment centre was somewhere else.

How did you find it?

faceman08 wrote: »
    sorry uncleneilly, my asessment centre was somewhere else.

How did you find it?
    was harder than i remember it from the last time so just have to wait and see what happens

was harder than i remember it from the last time so just have to wait and see what happens

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one to find it harder this year. Either that or I've forgotten how difficult it can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one to find it harder this year. Either that or I've forgotten how difficult it can be.

i found it harder to for some strange reason, was hoping any of that first time nerves would have went away,still cnt help thinking about the vetting forms though:(

given1 wrote: »
    i found it harder to for some strange reason, was hoping any of that first time nerves would have went away,still cnt help thinking about the vetting forms though:(

Going by what happened with C13 I'd say it's way too early to be getting worried about the vetting forms. The merit list is a long way from being completed and I would be surprised if the 50:50 ruling has been applied at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

Hi All
    Done my AC's for the second time at the end of June and booked a holiday for the next day so I could forget about it :P. I thought it would be easier the second time but I found the role plays difficult. Consensia told us before we left that some of us could receive vetting forms within a week or so, but the Psni told them to let us know it doesn't mean you have done worse or better -so don't get depressed if you don't receive your forms to quickly.
    As for people doing the AC's for the first time, try and get talking to the people in the waiting room as it makes the day go faster, I had a good group and managed to have a laugh while waiting.
    Good luck
    SFMCC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

Thanks for the good wishes given1
    SFMCC

Advertisement