Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SEI stopping Grants for Renewable Energy Technologies???

• 20-06-2008 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

So, with the installation of a renewable energy source on new-builds becoming compulsory on the 1st of July, is it true that the grants available for these technologies are also being stopped on the 1st of July.

I was told this by a person, John, who was told it by a person working in the Renewable Energy Business, but I haven't heard it anywhere else.
    The RE guy made John fill out the grant forms there & then for what John would need just in case John did decide to install some solar panels in the future. (Even though John is only in the 'thinking about it' phase)

I know lots of ye are well up in this, so maybe you could tell me.

If it's true, can I aply for grants now even though I don't know exactly what I'll be installing & then only collect the grant for the parts I do install.
    (e.g. in much the same as as I would apply for the max amt of a mortgage but only draw down what I need?)

Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

I honestly don't think they'll be stopping the grants outright but they will almost certainly be reducing the amounts given out over the next few years. I was at the Galway self build show a few weeks ago and one of the guys there also recommended that I fill out my grant forms now so that should the grant be reduced/terminated within the next 12 months at least I'd get the current grant value. I told him I was at the "thinking/research" stage and would get back to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

From July, all new planning permissions will need 10 kwh/m2 and from January all existing houses. In effect this means solar for hot water heating.. and imo this will lead to the grant being stopped for that.. why give a grant for something that you will have to do?

There will be funding in other areas for heat pumps etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I asked someone from SEI this question directly in april and was told that the grants would continue untill the money runs out, (probably fairly soon) After that they dont know, I suspect the grant system will be refocoused on existing houses, much more in-efficient than new ones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Just got approval so hopefully in time if they do decide to cutback the scheme.

A bit o/t but wondering can you still change installer once approved for a grant(Wood chip boiler).

As far as i can remember you could under phase one of the grants scheme but just looking through terms and conditions and number 10 states "The grant, once approved, is only payable in respect of the type of product and
    installer identified in the Application Form and referenced in the Letter of Offer."

Cheers,

C.

Advertisement