Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Redbrick?

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's probably about a year since I last suggested just installing a completely seperate web-based forum and I was told to **** off and do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

gizmo wrote: »
    When I say "what it used to be like" I'm referring to membership levels and general attitudes within the society and indeed online. I'll touch on those when I eventually get to make my reply.

I've never understood Redbrick's fascination with having a large membership base. It's been like that for years and, IMHO, it offers nothing. Having a small number of involved members who gain a lot from the society and give a lot back is much more important than having hundreds of members, most of who will never log on.

If Redbrick wants to improve it needs to find a core competency and be great at it. It was like that when I started in DCU - it was a great place to learn lots about Unix, programming, networking and CA, it was a great place to meet like minded people and have fun. Stocs don't have many members (at least they didn't when I was their rep) but they all know each other and they have a lot of fun.

Elitist? How is me having a problem with the committee and (some of) their actions in any way elitist? It was angelkat that referred to you as a first year, I was merely replying to her post.

You don't care about the **** that has gone on in the past. This is the problem. We recognize the downward spiral and have been making suggestions on how to stop it for the past couple of years. These have been largely ignored and nothing has changed. As was the case with the cinema trips, most redbrick events were confined to a small clique centred on the committee and chums.

I realise that doing this in public is quite an aggressive course of action, but I think it's the last action possible since everything else is ignored.

P.S. You're not the only first year logging in.

• I apoligise, I didn't mean to say logged in, I meant to say "online". And I acknowledge that there is another user online that registered last september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

When I was in frist year I thought red brick was awesome, great fun and spent an obscene amount of time logged in and chatting away to people. As the months went by I started to notice lil cracks in my original view, by the time second year rolled around I'd a completely different view and didnt use it as much. Then in the past 2 years I've barely used it, I logged in a few weeks back when all this started, quick look around #lobby and reading some banter I realised it was still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

I deleted the last post, but previous posts of mine have been deleted without reason but probably due to the fact that they disagreed with an older members views.
    Incorrect, please see my above post for reasons why.
    You have all been around for a while, why couldn't you have tried to stop this before it has gone on so far?
    I was on the committee for two years, and during my tenure when things began to take a turn for the worst I did try and change things, as did most others on the committee in fact. However the fundamental problems that I/we faced back then are still evidently a problem now and that what is hampering real change. I'll get into them in more detail when I make my proper reply.
    You are all putting your head in the sand if you think that all you need to do is give a new board or give a new chat client, although I would welcome both these with open arms, the problem with redbrick is more of an attitude problem.
    While I think a new web based forum and a new client are required, I couldn't agree more with the need for a change in attitude. More on that later...

And yes Mark, my apologies, I mean to say active members.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

OMG! :eek: A FIRST YEAR TRYING TO MAKE THE SOCIETY BETTER! A FIRST YEAR TELLING IT AS IT IS! A FIRST YEAR ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPIONION?!?!?!
    ... snipity snip....
    What a narrow minded view to give though, in a thread that that seems to be making headway into realising that something needs to be done. As Barack Obama would put it - Change.

Ok how can things be made better, made more first year friendly and more importantly encourage you and your mates to renew next year? What changes would you like to see? new services?

You also say that RB is not what you thought it would be when you joined in Oct, what did think it would be? What do you think it is now?
    Ask yourself honestly Dregin, what would you rather see? Lobby as it is or some crowd of first/second years coming on and talking about planning their nights out to Barcode and XXIs...

How come alot of what is being said seems to point back to irc/'#lobby... it's not the be all and end all of what rb has to offer...

• decob wrote: »
    Ok how can things be made better, made more first year friendly and more importantly encourage you and your mates to renew next year? What changes would you like to see?
    • Stop the bullsh*t...we don't care about fights that have been bubbling in the past few years...Please take them out of the society.
    • Be a bit welcoming to first years. I know that I was welcomed by some members of the society and I suppose that is why I stayed but I'm sure everyone knows about certain other members...
    • More of techweek...eg, the Linux Install Night. Great night was had by all and thoroughly enjoyed it. It opened a lot of people to linux even those who don't do CA. It was also, the best organised event that I had seen in DCU in the last year...
    new services?
    The services that are there are quite good but there does need to be a new board. I do like chat but can see how it could scare some away. Shiny new mail login. Trips to events to do with technology and computers - eg. Toys for big boys etc.
    You also say that RB is not what you thought it would be when you joined in Oct, what did think it would be?
    I thought it would be a nice place to come and chat about computers etc. (which it is). I thought it could be a place where people would help eachother with computing issues (which it can be). I thought there would be tutorials on java and other non couse related IT software...
    What do you think it is now?
    I think it is an old working man's club that spends it's time and resources on bickering with members, associates and the committee. It is a place that doesn't like to see new people coming in (although I know that it does in some cases). It is also a society where one has to shout to be heard and some people are very good at shouting.

But mostly, it is a society where the good work of the committee is hampered by members with grudges against them and certain committee members with grudges against each other.
    How come alot of what is being said seems to point back to irc/'#lobby... it's not the be all and end all of what rb has to offer...
    Personally, I see irc as probably the most unique feature of redbrick and it, in theory, makes redbrick the Ultimate in Social Networking...you can't meet and talk to people around DCU on bebo...but, i'm sure someone can answer that one better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

• Stop the bullsh*t...we don't care about fights that have been bubbling in the past few years...Please take them out of the society.
    • Be a bit welcoming to first years. I know that I was welcomed by some members of the society and I suppose that is why I stayed but I'm sure everyone knows about certain other members...
    • More of techweek...eg, the Linux Install Night. Great night was had by all and thoroughly enjoyed it. It opened a lot of people to linux even those who don't do CA. It was also, the best organised event that I had seen in DCU in the last year...

I definitely agree with what Azariah Loose Semicircle said.

I've no plans to continue being a member and with hindsight, I would probably not have joined. Been a huge fan of setting up web applications and linux distros since I came into the degree. Was hoping members of the Redbrick society would also have the same interests. But after a while I began to realised that all redbrick seemed to give me was a couple of megs of webhosting and a chat lobby that took me weeks to figure out how to work. I had to keep asking a few people from class how to get onto the thing. Now with google docs I have all the details on that. All the linux, web application knowledge and general IT knowledge I gained during college comes from the interwebs. It would of been nice to talk to others with the same interests during my 4 years at DCU. Was kinda hoping the Redbrick Networking society would be the place for that.

I don't want to repeat what Azariah Loose Semicircle just said. But more events and welcoming the first years with the events, would be great. Also make redbrick more user friendly. Create normal boards for us to talk and organise things in.

Rebrick could be so much more and still continue to appease the old-timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Whats happening with all the tags on this thread? I'm using IE7 :o and getting a big box of text above the title. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'm using IE7

That's your problem right there.

Zyox has been free'd

funny last night to see some of the people who are quite active in the thread and boistrous(sp?)... then meet them in person and they won't even look you in the eye haha classic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

10:02:10 -!- 1 - #lobby: ban *!zyox@*.dcu.ie [by receive!receive@theinternets.be, 1195254 secs ago]

Actions still will speak louder than words ;)

especially behind the safety of a terminal :pac: poor zyox, he was so happy he was unbanned, now... well itl break his lil heart

*rabble*

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

GREAT THREAD++ A++ EXCELLENT COMMUNICATE+++

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Ancient thread is ancient. Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement