Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 - Cashel to Mitchelstown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Difference is you'd bit the wall at a fairly small angle (giving you an effective sideways 'hitting speed' of 10-20mph) and slide along it, slowing down as you go.

You'll go through a hedge and smack into oncoming traffic.

I'd rather hit the wall.
    Ah I see thanks for explaining that to me, ya you wouldnt really be able to go straight into the wall on the fermoy bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

mysterious wrote: »
    just cause the naas road is 3 lanes doesn't for one second mean it should be a motorway just because its motorway further down..

God what a stupid point.

its called irony, dingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

Anyone have an update on this section of the N8? It looks like i will need to travel Cork - Cashel quitre a bit in the next few months and would love if the Cashel - Mitchelstown section was open, NRA say Q3 2008.

X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

xabi wrote: »
    Anyone have an update on this section of the N8? It looks like i will need to travel Cork - Cashel quitre a bit in the next few months and would love if the Cashel - Mitchelstown section was open, NRA say Q3 2008.

X.

Latest I heard was August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

I have heard August been mentioned for the opening date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thought they might open the section between junctions 10 and 11 (http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/SouthTipperaryCountyCouncil/N8CashelMitchelstown/Map,14567,en.pdf) before then. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

I noticed that they've started painting the road markings. They don't have much left to do, no blue signs yet though.

I was on the newest section of this road the other day, the bit from Cashel to Cahir and thought the road wasnt as good as it should be. It seems a bit bumpy, not like a rough bump, more like a gradual up and down motion over longer distances, its not as 'flat' as the Cahel bypass or the M7. Anyone notice this?

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was on the newest section of this road the other day, the bit from Cashel to Cahir and thought the road wasnt as good as it should be. It seems a bit bumpy, not like a rough bump, more like a gradual up and down motion over longer distances, its not as 'flat' as the Cahel bypass or the M7. Anyone notice this?

X.

I thought that too!! Road seems to wallow up and down a bit in stretches..maybe it was a bit rushed in construction. Defo not dead level

They've started putting up blue signs so it looks like its going to open as motorway. Should be open in the next couple of weeks by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

can people who live near the new road post pics of the blue signs? etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

mfitzy wrote: »
    I thought that too!! Road seems to wallow up and down a bit in stretches..maybe it was a bit rushed in construction. Defo not dead level

Same on the Gorey Bypass. I think it was decided this was acceptable- I suppose ity reduces construction costs, and perhaps has a smaller environmental "footprint" than heavily excavated road schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

jd wrote: »
    Same on the Gorey Bypass. I think it was decided this was acceptable- I suppose ity reduces construction costs, and perhaps has a smaller environmental "footprint" than heavily excavated road schemes.

Was on the Gorey By-pass earlier this year and IMO the quality of the road surface was good - that said, I thought a couple of turns were a bit on the tight side. Nice job though!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

jd wrote: »

What do you mean? I was on the Gorey By-pass only yesterday and the surface was just about perfect. There were slight depressions at a couple of bridges, but apart from that... :)

That said, although it's a really nice job overall, the horizontal alignment could be better - it's generally OK for 100kph (though one bend was too tight for even that IMO). Though the ramps are nice and long, I can't see this road being a motorway - there's no way it would take 120kph. :( It's an awful pity as the Arklow By-pass would easily be capable of motorway speeds IMO.

In any case, if all our main national primaries were like the Gorey By-pass, I'd be dreading the rude awakening when the alarm clock goes off! :D

As I said, it's generally a very good job! :)

Well Done Wexford Co Co! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

The surface is very good, not bumpy at all. I think it does undulate a bit vertically, and some of the bends are pretty tight.

I got some pictures of the road today. The picture quality isn't great because they were taken on my mobile phone. You can see in the pictures that most of the southbound carriageway has line markings and cats eyes in place. Between junctions 10 and 11 the northbound carriageway has markings and cats eyes aswell. There are blue signs up but none of the restrictions signs or speed limit signs yet. Looks like it will be open within a month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

it's generally OK for 100kph (though one bend was too tight for even that IMO).

Try taking that corner above about 80 in a car that suffers body roll (like mine - a Panda) and its not a fun experience :(

I've only driven the N11 a few times since its opened, and always at night, so I can't remember which one it is at that!

I got some pictures of the road today.

There are blue signs up but none of the restrictions signs or speed limit signs yet. Looks like it will be open within a month.

That sign in the second picture's a bit high up the embankment isn't it?? any further away from the road and no one would spot it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I got some pictures of the road today. The picture quality isn't great because they were taken on my mobile phone. You can see in the pictures that most of the southbound carriageway has line markings and cats eyes in place. Between junctions 10 and 11 the northbound carriageway has markings and cats eyes aswell. There are blue signs up but none of the restrictions signs or speed limit signs yet. Looks like it will be open within a month.

Thanks for those pics childoforpheus. I was told today by someone who was speaking to an engineer on site that it will be opened in July.

Carrigman wrote: »
    Thanks for those pics childoforpheus. I was told today by someone who was speaking to an engineer on site that it will be opened in July.

No problem. That sounds right, can't wait to be able to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What's the betting that before the road is opened that the blue signs will be replaced by Green and the 120 limits will be replaced by 100 a la what happened with the Carlow bypass?

Blue signs are still on the Carlow Bypass, only the speed limit signs were replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Bards wrote: »
    Blue signs are still on the Carlow Bypass, only the speed limit signs were replaced
    So its blue with 100km/hr. Is the speed limit only temporary until they change the speed limits on dual carriageways nationally?

will be 100Km/h until http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-3.pdf this goes through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Bards wrote: »
    will be 100Km/h until http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-3.pdf this goes through

And pray tell us does anyone know when this will ever happen?

think it would stay n8 dualer standuntil at least the fermoy mitchelstown section is complete, then we could have motorway all the way from cork to cashel, that will be cool!

Will we ever have motorway all the way from Cork to the M7? Will the re-classification make this happen?

X.

Will we ever have motorway all the way from Cork to the M7? Will the re-classification make this happen?

X.

I would hope so it would life driving so much easier!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

X.
    From Fermoy to the M7 alright, but there's no plans to do anything about Cork-Fermoy. Glanmire Bypass would need some changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Glanmire bypass could be made motorway, there is an alternative route - the old road through Glanmire. There are no accesses to the dual carriageway between Dunkettle and the pink bridge junction. Several other motorways have 100kmh speed limits, so the bendiness won't make any difference, should actually be safer to drive on with no tractors or cyclists.

Advertisement