Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books you might like to read....

• 03-11-2005 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

I just finished reading a book called "Magyk" by Angie Sage. Its the first in a trilogy called "Septimus Heap" and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Harry Potter. Site is here.

It's quite a big book, so it feels like you got your moneys worth, and I also found it very hard to put down, staying up till 4am one morning.

Anyway, if you have any other suggestions, please post them here. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

His Dark Materials (Trilogy), Philip Pullman... (Being a H.P. forum..i'll just leave it at that then.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

"Darke things are happening. It seems nothing can keep evil necromancer DomDaniel from his pursuit of power — even his own death, and Septimus must summon every ounce of courage and cunning to try and outwit him and his treacherous followers before it's too late.

Crackling with wit and brilliantly inventive characters, Flyte is the spell-binding sequel to bestselling Magyk."

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

What?!?!? where?!?!?! when?1?!?! HHNNNNNNNUUUGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Has the secod one been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

*Wit'ch Fire* its book one of, *The Banned and the Banished* its brilliant you can get it Waterstones in Cork anyway..thats where I got it, its part of a 5 book series, I could hardly put it down..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Harry Potter fans might like the Eragon/ Eldest series, (film out in December) Or the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,639 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id hearilty recommend "Magician" by Raymond E Feist. To anyone really, but especially to anyone into magic/fantasy kinda shenanigans. Awesome books, and the first of a brilliant trilogy, and the entrance to a larger series set in that world by Feist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind! Don't be put of by some books being 1000+ pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The Eragon series, abseloutely brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vale

The third in the series of Septimus Heap -Physik is out too and is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Susanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Can't recommend it enough. The first two chapters are tough to get through, and the book overall is not an easy read, but truly enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chocolate frog

The assassin, madship and fool series by Robin Hobb (9 books in all) are as wonderful as Harry Potter. The series must be read in that order. 1st book is "assassins apprentice", then Royal assassin etc. I reread these books regularly, just like the HP books.
    I would be surprised if any HP fan did not like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

the alchemyst by michael scott is a pretty good read, there's loads of mythology and stuff woven into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Pauric

Some of mine would include
    Dragonlance series
    Forgotten realms
    Orcs Stan Nicholls
    Has anyone found any new talents in fantasy? I write fantasy and have published my first book but I won't mention it here.... pm me for details

eVeNtInE wrote: »

And what a challenge it is....

I'm on Book 9 at the moment, re-reading. I rejoiced and danced once I got through Book 8, which I consider to be his weakest, and now I feel like I can enjoy them again.

Great detail, excellent characters, huge themes, nice magic 'system' and satisfatcion when just one is finished.

Awful pity he died, but looking forward to the 12th Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

abarat by clive barket, specially the copies with the pics, flippin class!

eVeNtInE wrote: »

I'm on the last book in her Black Magician Trilogy at the moment.

Excellent books, I'm flying through them and just can't put them down.
    It could be easy to be fooled by the simplicity of her writing, but there are some adult themes, such as intolerance of homosexuality and some good morally ambiguous characters mixed with the morally obvious ones.

She has a second trilogy based in a different world, but a new one coming out based after the events of the first one.

Great read folks, seriously - if you like HP you'll love these (as cliched as that sounds). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins), and the upcomming Catching Fire (sept 9th methinks).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Lunalove

I found City ofBones- The mortal Intruments to be extremely good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

F.A. wrote: »
    Susanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Can't recommend it enough. The first two chapters are tough to get through, and the book overall is not an easy read, but truly enjoyable.

I loved this book too. A strange and haunting book, perfect for this wintry weather and this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud is quite good as is The Mortal Instruments Trilogy by Cassandra Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

The Percy Jackson books,have read all five now,they're excellent :)
    The movie is different though so try the books. Will second P.Pullman and Jonathon Stroud. Also Eoin Colfer. Darren Shan of course and Skulduggery pleasant by Derek Landy. The discworld books by terry pratchett are brilliant too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 superdragon

I'd recommend The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it's a big book but we'll worth the read!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

The Hunger Games -Suzzane Collins.
    Amazing book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pix1e_head

The Keys of the Kingdom Series by Garth Nix...seven books in the series, all very good reads.. I got the first one " Mister Monday" free when I bought "The Deathly Hallows" in Hughes and Hughes, addicted every since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Garth Nix - Sabriel / Lirael / Abhorsen trilogy, really really loved them

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I loved the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I really thought Wheel of Time just kept dragging out far far too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

kelly armstrong's men of the otherworld and women of the otherworld series are great, def worth a read!

Advertisement