Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wood Pellets

• 16-05-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking into getting wood pellets for a baxi boiler.

I've been researching online for a while now and am looking for some customer feedback or recommendations or advice on bulk buying or bags.

Also a general price scale or guide would be greatley appreciated.

just dont want to be stung by some crowd shipping out crap or getting fleeced on the price.

Thanks,

Any and all help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I think they run at something like 180 a tonne..??

Bags are not an option.. buy bulk.

As for a sucessful trouble free supplier.. i dont think ive come across one yet.

Every one of them seem to have had difficulties.

I think Balcas are getting it together now and are prob one of the better suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

there is a place down enniscorthy or wexford direction my mother said were really cheap compared to the rest and they sell in bulk you can pick up big pallet loads. I'll ask if i remember and post it up! But she drives down and loads up the back for the jeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Bulk storage is the only option if you want to save money with pellets, bags only for limited use such as stoves etc. I've used balcs twice this year, and they're fine, no long wait pellets are fine, only problems I've had are my own fault in putting together the silo. There are a few options on the market for silo's now Balcas & JFC have plastic ones not sure haow good they are and Gerkros reccomend a Maffai one made of Steel (a very large mechanno set!!) Do a lot of reasearch and see the silos installed or else build your own unit and store them internally if you have a slarge space in a shed! There's more work to wood pellets compared to oil or gas or even geothermal but they're not tied to the rising cost of energy other than the cost of transport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Cork_Rebel

Hi

Am at the start of a big house refur project and am trying to decide Gas v Oil v Wood Pellets. House is a semi d in Dublin city with side entrance.

Trying to get the pro's and con's of Wood Pellets.

Assumptions!
    1) Need to build a 2.5m by 5m shed to store boiler and hopper.
    2) Hopper needs to store 3.5 tonne pellets

Q's
    1) The hopper will be 20m away from delivery truck. Does this pose a problem?
    2) Are the pellets hard to source? Are they manufactured in Ireland? Is there sufficient supply in Ireland to meet future needs?

Anything else I need to consider?

Cork_Rebel wrote: »
    Hi

Am at the start of a big house refur project and am trying to decide Gas v Oil v Wood Pellets. House is a semi d in Dublin city with side entrance.

Trying to get the pro's and con's of Wood Pellets.

Assumptions!
    1) Need to build a 2.5m by 5m shed to store boiler and hopper.
    2) Hopper needs to store 3.5 tonne pellets

Q's
    1) The hopper will be 20m away from delivery truck. Does this pose a problem?
    2) Are the pellets hard to source? Are they manufactured in Ireland? Is there sufficient supply in Ireland to meet future needs?

Anything else I need to consider?

Cork Rebel assumption 1 is incorrect, you can have a completely external system no shed required, gerkros do a housing for the boiler & 300kg silo (like an external oil boiler just bigger!) assumption 2 is correct you need a 3.5 tonne storage silo to get the SEI grant, external types are available, no shed needed, Gerkros, Balcas and JFC do various types.

20m max is currently the distance for delivery from the pellet truck measure it exactly, talk to supplier (as opposed to an installer!!) & there are a number of bulk suppliers, I use balcas who I find quick and good quality (so far) more will appear as demand increases.

They're recycled sawdust do I belive there plenty although a lot currently goes into MDF too!!

I hope this helps

• Advertisement

Thanks No6. Appreciate that.

I should be ok with the 20 meter, assuming the truck can drive in into the drive way.

I was listening to Duncan Stewart last Sunday at Green Party energy fair and he reckoned within 10 years oil and gas are going to be in very short supply.

Is there a front runner for reliability in boilers to go for and is there one's that should be avoided? Was talking to a couple of suppliers and the prices seem to vary by up to 10K depending on which boiler you go for.

I'm looking for something that doesn't involve too much maintenance work but I don't mind cleaning out the ashes every month. Also I dont need something that has a space shuttle computer inside it.

Cork_Rebel wrote: »
    Thanks No6. Appreciate that.

I should be ok with the 20 meter, assuming the truck can drive in into the drive way.

I was listening to Duncan Stewart last Sunday at Green Party energy fair and he reckoned within 10 years oil and gas are going to be in very short supply.

Is there a front runner for reliability in boilers to go for and is there one's that should be avoided? Was talking to a couple of suppliers and the prices seem to vary by up to 10K depending on which boiler you go for.

I'm looking for something that doesn't involve too much maintenance work but I don't mind cleaning out the ashes every month. Also I dont need something that has a space shuttle computer inside it.

Look at Gerkros, they're Irish and reasonably priced, size one to suit the size of your house, just because its red and from Europe and expensive dosn't mean its the best on the market or in space!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

I've heard good reports about the Kedco boiler

Think it might be worth putting a sticky vote thing on top of the forum on people's opinion on different boilers and also show their price etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Good idea on Sticky..

• Advertisement
Advertisement