Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

• 17-09-2006 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Cant find any info on it.

Ennis bypass should be open before Christmas (the eastern DC half anyway) but the rest of teh N18 to Galway is ****. Plus the jamup will move to Gort.

Anyone know if/when the rest of DC to Galway will be worked on, whether it will all be DC, if its going to be done in one section or two (say Ennis - Gort, then Gort - Galway). Cant find any info on the NRA website etc.

I doubt it will be done by 2010 anyway. Anyone any info on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

2 separate schemes, DC all the way. Info available here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres already a jam up in Gort......i think the Ennis bypass is schelduled to open spring 2007....is it ahead of schedule then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

think the Ennis bypass is schelduled to open spring 2007....is it ahead of schedule then?
    No its not because they wont be finished with the western section till then the spring in 2007.

The eastern section will be finished first ,by the end of this year is say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Nice one :)

Any ideas if they're due to start together or will be done one at a time? Couldnt find info either on when they plan to start them :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The two schemes taking the N18 from Ennis to Galway are unlikely to happen until after 2010 due to the NRA's emphasis on the interurbans.

A rough timetable would run as follows:

2006-2010 Interurbans
    2010-2016? Target year for completion of all the old and new NDP projects
    2016+ National Secondaries and big new schemes like the M40 Dublin Orbital

• Advertisement

Tis a pity the main Limerick to Galway road isnt classed as an "Interurban", assuming Dublin - Limerick and I think Dublin - Galway are :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There were public hearings on Ennis - Gort recently.

Heard from the Galway Independent that you're all right :(

Looks like the Crusheen - Gort and Gort - Oranmore sections arent due to begin till 2010 :(

A joke, really, this section of the road is a complete shambles. Needs upgrading far more than parts of Cork - Dublin.

More than €85 million for Galway’s national roads

by Una Sinnott

Galway is to receive more than €85 million in funding for work on national roads in the city and county this year, including substantial allocations for the new N6, N17, N18, and the Galway City Outer Bypass. The funding was announced this week under the 2007 National Roads Programme.

Funding totalling €35 million has been allocated for the N6 from Galway to Ballinasloe, including bypasses of Oranmore and Ballinasloe. Work on the new 56 kilometre stretch of road is due to begin this year and is expected to be completed in 2010. Work on the section of the N6 between Ballinasloe and Athlone will begin next year.

Funding has also been made available for the planning phase of Galway’s other proposed new national roads, with a €1.5 million allocation for the planning process for the Galway City Outer Bypass. A total of €5 million has been put aside for land acquisition for the N17 Tuam bypass, and €1.5 million has been provided for the compulsory purchase order process for the N17 between Galway and Tuam. Funding to the tune of €2 million has been provided for land acquisition on the new N18 from Oranmore to Gort, along with €4 million for land acquisition and archaeological works on the N18 from Gort to Crusheen.

The Galway County Council will receive a total of €84,516,224 under the programme, of which €3.25 million will go towards maintenance works. The Galway City Council has been allocated €1,368,000, with €518,000 going towards maintenance.

Significant allocations in Connemara include €1 million for a new bridge over the river in Oughterard, and €780,000 for planning the Moycullen bypass and eastern approach overlay. A total of €800,000 has also been allocated for the design phase of the realignment work on the road between Clifden and Rosleague.

Minister of State for Equality Frank Fahey welcomed the funding, which he said was the largest single annual investment in the country’s roads infrastructure in the history of the State. The Minister said he hoped that work on the Ennis to Galway Road and the Galway City Outer Bypass would be proceeded with together as one project and he pointed out that yesterday’s allocations were a step in the right direction.

“Significant moneys have now been allocated for land and site investigations, including archaeological investigations,” he said. “This is the critical expenditure required prior to a project going to tender and it indicates that the Atlantic corridor is a high priority for the Government in terms of getting projects started.”

Meanwhile Cllr Seamus Walsh has welcomed the allocation of €400,000 for the reconstruction of the eastern approach road to Oughterard from the graveyard to Ardvarna. He said this road was the worst section of the N59, and he thanked Minister Fahey who, along with other Fianna Fáil councillors in Connemara, met with the NRA to seek funding for roads in the area.

“Furthermore €1 million has also been granted for the building of a new bridge alongside the existing bridge near the catholic church,” he said. “This will add greatly to traffic and pedestrian safety

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=4526

I cant find where I posted recent N18 stuff, so Im starting an official N18 thread. Much like my N20 thread, it shows most recent updates to the two schemes.

Found these today ->

Gort to Crusheen - Hedgerow & Tree Removal (to be finished by 07/09/07)
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=APR080614

Gort to Oranmore - Ground Investigation Contract
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=MAR080087

Gort to Crusheen - Design & Build
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=MAR079853
    From the last one, idea of timescale -

IV.3.4) Time-limit for receipt of tenders or requests to participate 02-05-2007 16:00
    IV.3.5) Date of dispatch of invitations to tender or to participate to selected candidates Estimated date 27-07-2007
    II.3) Duration of the contract or limit for completion
    Period in month/s: 30 (from the award of the contract)

Theres more on www.etenders.gov.ie . Search for N18. Just from looking at the timing of these notices, both schemes (Crusheen - Gort & Gort - Oranmore) seem to be going ahead simultaneously.

• Advertisement

Looks like things are slipping.

IIRC construction was supposed to start on Crusheen - Gort early 2008. Now its Summer 2008, as on here -

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?ID=JUN085848
    The contract involves the supply and erection of approximately 23 kilometres of temporary boundary fencing, the felling of all of the trees on the site and clearance of all hedgerows along the proposed

route of the N18 Gort to Crusheen Dual Carriageway.

Hedgerows and tree removal are necessary to prevent nesting of birds along the proposed route, in advance of road construction, which is scheduled to commence Summer 2008. The felling of trees and clearance of hedgerows is restricted to the time period between the 24th of September 2007 and the 14th of December 2007 to take into account nesting birds. This may also restrict the installation of fencing in areas where hedgerow clearance is required prior to erecting of fences. The Tender is to take into account these restrictions when pricing this contract.

The Tender Drawings identify the extent of the site and required fencing. Additional fencing may be required or changes to the type of fencing may be required where instructed by the Engineer.

The full scope of the Works and the obligations of the Contractor are to be ascertained by reference to the Contract as a whole.

The estimated cost of the works excluding v.a.t is € 700,000.

Expected start dates of building given current progress -

This is the latest news I can find from various sources.

N18 Crusheen - Gort = Summer 2008.
    N18 Gort - Oranmore = Late 2008.

Crusheen - Gort I heard about on here or eTenders I think.
    Gort - Oranmore I heard about here -> http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n18orangort/news/mailshot%20july07.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Also links up with the N24 Wateford Route

They'd want to get their move on with the tree felling on the Crusheen-Gort and Gort-Oranmore schemes, in a previous post Dec 14th was the limit due to nesting birds. Though I'm a birdwatcher and I havent seen any bird nesting in the middle of winter.

In good news, archaelogy is being done on both schemes, when I was coming down from Galway yesterday there were trenches dug and people in them searching, also some fields were marked out with a digger to show whats to be studied.

No sign of tree removal or fencing though.

Can anyone give some updates on the state of things at the moment?

Full construction begins in Q4 of this year apparently. Last time I was in Galway the archeology was being done. Have they done the tree clearance yet?

Any intrepid boards people wanna get me some photos :D

Drove Cork - Galway and back over the last few days.

The archaeology on both schemes I think is done, when I went up a few months ago there were workers floating around some interesting looking holes. None of them today so I think its done.

A few big trees have been cut down but no hedges seem to have been touched yet.

Some wooden fencing has gone up too, moreso on the Gort-Athenry section that the other. Not complete route fencing, but fencing of the areas that have had archaeology done.

The sick weirdo inside me is hoping the Gort - Athenry section is done first, because then you'd come down 25-30km of motorway to a roundabout, plough straight through Gort (as the town bypass is in the Crusheen - Gort scheme), and a road where two lorries can hardly pass eachother and two right angled bends. The traffic jams would be incredibly bad, some of the most ridiculous on any route at peak times. Its a 30min trek through the town at peak times as it is, and would be insane if you came straight off a 30km motorway to go through a town like that :D

Honestly, I'd love to see it for a few days for the hilarity, but it would be dreadful for the commuter if Gort - Athenry is done before Crusheen - Gort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Drove Cork - Galway and back over the last few days.

The archaeology on both schemes I think is done, when I went up a few months ago there were workers floating around some interesting looking holes. None of them today so I think its done.

A few big trees have been cut down but no hedges seem to have been touched yet.

Some wooden fencing has gone up too, moreso on the Gort-Athenry section that the other. Not complete route fencing, but fencing of the areas that have had archaeology done.

The sick weirdo inside me is hoping the Gort - Athenry section is done first, because then you'd come down 25-30km of motorway to a roundabout, plough straight through Gort (as the town bypass is in the Crusheen - Gort scheme), and a road where two lorries can hardly pass eachother and two right angled bends. The traffic jams would be incredibly bad, some of the most ridiculous on any route at peak times. Its a 30min trek through the town at peak times as it is, and would be insane if you came straight off a 30km motorway to go through a town like that :D

Honestly, I'd love to see it for a few days for the hilarity, but it would be dreadful for the commuter if Gort - Athenry is done before Crusheen - Gort.

I don't think the main contracts are underway as of yet on either scheme. I heard that commencement was due for later this year. It'll be a nice job though!

Now, if the Gort to Crusheen section is done last, why not make both lanes through Gort Southbound and raise the speed limit to 80kph and block off all junctions, then let Northbound traffic filter onto the M18 via the local roads! :D - I'm pretty sure safety won't be too big an issue! :D Oh, and the pedestrians (wanting to cross) in Gort can either play Chicken Run or go to hell! :D:D:D

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

They've updated the "road scheme activity" section of the NRA website and it is still showing the status as prelimary design.

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/index.jsp?county=Galway

I wonder did the archaeology find something that they haven't released yet. You would imagine it would be at least down as being at tender if they were getting ready to build in 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why call it the Ennis to Galway road?, on plan it's clearly the Ennis to Athenry road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have just been informed that this road is not now proceeding this year or next or any other year UNLESS the NRA can organise a tolled PPP scheme . I know it was announced in January that it would be but that is not the case today .

Same with Gort -Athenry until the Gort - Crusheen scheme status is finalised.

Athenry - Tuam cancelled although this may now mean a Claregalway bypass actually has a chance of being built as a cheap alternative.

Galway Outer Bypass will be tolled if it ever gets the go ahead from Bord Pleanala.

What's totally amazing is that Frank Fahey has a really important job in Transport and of course he knew all this but he never bothered telling his constituents that this was happening at all or why ?????

You may also notice that Frank has pulled his Bypass Website seeing as it looks somewhat unlikely to be built now . Frank does not want any comments about his complete failure in the transport sphere.

Not that I heard anything but I will give the rail corridor two chances of being built with Frank on the case :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I have just been informed that this road is not now proceeding this year or next or any other year UNLESS the NRA can organise a tolled PPP scheme . I know it was announced in January that it would be but that is not the case today .

Athenry - Tuam cancelled although this may now mean a Claregalway bypass actually has a chance of being built as a cheap alternative.

Galway Outer Bypass will be tolled if it ever gets the go ahead from Bord Pleanala.

What's totally amazing is that Frank Fahey has a really important job in Transport and of course he knew all this but he never bothered telling his constituents that this was happening at all or why ?????

You may also notice that Frank has pulled his Bypass Website seeing as it looks somewhat unlikely to be built now . Frank does not want any comments about his complete failure in the transport sphere.

Not that I heard anything but I will give the rail corridor two chances of being built with Frank on the case :(

This is terrible news for Galway, where did you hear it. Does this mean that if the new Athenry to ennis road does go ahead it will be tolled or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

This news seems rather strange when you consider:

1) The AWC is a major government priority;
    2) The N17 Tuam Road carries in excess of 20k pcus/day (in excess of Type 2 DC design capacity!);
    3) The N18 carries in excess of 12K pcus/day which is more than many existing NP stretches being by-passed with MIU routes;
    4) The N18 Gort to Crusheen and Gort to Athenry schemes were due to start in 3 years but were accelerated this year!;
    5) Neither the above N18 schemes or the M17 Tuam to Athenry scheme have been pulled from either the Transport 21, NRA or Galway Co Co websites. I'm just after checking them!;
    6) To scrap any part of the AWC would be contrary to the National Spatial Strategy - even with development slowing down sharply.

I think there's something in the air!!!

Regards!

Who did you hear this from? Not gonna believe it I'm afraid until I hear it from the NRA or the gov. Theres an awful lot of scaremongering going on at the moment and bandwagon jumping, I'd like to know whats going on from the people in charge! I'd email the NRA myself but I've been bugging them recently so I'd better not.

Who did you hear this from? Not gonna believe it I'm afraid until I hear it from the NRA or the gov. Theres an awful lot of scaremongering going on at the moment and bandwagon jumping, I'd like to know whats going on from the people in charge! I'd email the NRA myself but I've been bugging them recently so I'd better not.

The Connaught Tribune already contacted them for you in late April. The NRA told them that they have allocated €20m for the N18 in 2008 to buy up a bit of land and dig up a few oul Crannógs . Its just that the reality is actually a lot worse .

http://www.galwaynews.ie/3586-no-money-gort-bypass

The Atlantic corridor is not a priority at all , otherwise money would be found for it . Noel Dempsey is a consummate liar but I believe the N18 / Atlantic Corridor was a priority in January but that the Atlantic corridor was no longer a priority , much less a Major priority by the following March .

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,11671,en.html
    Transport Minister Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D. and NRA Chairman, Mr. Peter Malone today (25/01/08) announced details of the Government’s €1.68 billion investment in National Roads Programme 2008.

169km of new road construction will commence in 2008.

Projects will include the
    27km (N9) Killcullen to Carlow; the
    40km (N9) Carlow to Knocktopher; the
    36km (N7) Castletown to Nenagh; the
    28km (N18) Oranmore to Gort; the
    22km (N18) Gort to Crusheen; the

14km (N52) Tullamore Bypass and the
    2km (N7) Newlands Cross upgrade.

The ones in Bold have already been cancelled this year and the NRA is now scrabbling around looking for someone to bid for a toll road contract .

Why don't you simply EMAIL the NRA and ask when a contractor will be appointed to build Gort - Ennis and is that 2008 2009 or 2010 .

I'd email the NRA but I've been bugging them a lot recently and they've been sending me lots of stuff - dont really want to email them again for a bit incase they start ignoring me.

Well you can forget about Q4 2008 like they said, they have no money to do the N18 this year and are not in any way sure how they will get it either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The Connaught Tribune already contacted them for you in late April. The NRA told them that they have allocated €20m for the N18 in 2008 to buy up a bit of land and dig up a few oul Crannógs . Its just that the reality is actually a lot worse .

http://www.galwaynews.ie/3586-no-money-gort-bypass

The Atlantic corridor is not a priority at all , otherwise money would be found for it . Noel Dempsey is a consummate liar but I believe the N18 / Atlantic Corridor was a priority in January but that the Atlantic corridor was no longer a priority , much less a Major priority by the following March .

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,11671,en.html

The ones in Bold have already been cancelled this year and the NRA is now scrabbling around looking for someone to bid for a toll road contract .

Why don't you simply EMAIL the NRA and ask when a contractor will be appointed to build Gort - Ennis and is that 2008 2009 or 2010 .

Ye forgot to bold the newland's cross upgrade, that is not starting this year either... Incompetence of this government actually tires me now, rather than angers me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well you can forget about Q4 2008 like they said, they have no money to do the N18 this year and are not in any way sure how they will get it either .
    Sorry Sponge Bob but I'm with Chris_533976 here, I can't believe you until I get some proof.

You say the paper rang the NRA who confirmed that money was allocated for the project; in that case where are you getting this idea that it's cancelled?

I assure you the Atlantic Corridor is a priority and it will get the money it needs because folks in the West are so much better at lobbying for stuff that anyone in Dublin (e.g. Interconnector tunnel not till 2015 but Western Railway is already under construction).

Plus the Tribune said it was to start Q1 2008, while the NRA told me 6 months ago it would be Q4 2008. And they told me 3 weeks ago it would be Dec 08 or Jan 09.

Times could have changed tho, but I'm not believing that Tribune article. No other Galway paper that I know has reported anything.

I could be wrong tho, but I'd like to see proof outside of the Tribune article.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Sorry Sponge Bob but I'm with Chris_533976 here, I can't believe you until I get some proof.

You say the paper rang the NRA who confirmed that money was allocated for the project; in that case where are you getting this idea that it's cancelled?

The paper gave you the proof had you a calculator . What exactly can you do between Athenry and Ennis for €20m ??, you most certainly cannot do all the required land purchases never mind land purchases and Archeology .

If you do not own more that a fraction of the land by end 2008 you can hardly build the road in 2009 can you ??
    I assure you the Atlantic Corridor is a priority and it will get the money it needs because folks in the West are so much better at lobbying for stuff that anyone in Dublin (e.g. Interconnector tunnel not till 2015 but Western Railway is already under construction).

The Department of Finance has killed it off as a project to be completed by 2015 as envisaged . A few dribs and drabs will be done by 2015 such as the Stranorlar bypass and maybe Athenry - Ennis ( toll) but thats it I'd say !!

It was a priority for a few months in 2007 and then the credit crunch struck the wesht , such is life. Dublin Rail projects have priority post 2010 .

Roads in general do not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement