Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got badgers!!

• 07-05-2008 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Last night i got the fright of my life a couple of weeks ago when i saw a badger poking around in my garden.

over the last while they've been regularly poking around.
    it's really cool to watch actually!

just wondering, should i encourage them, ignore them or block my garden off?

i quite like having them around and i dont think theyre dangerous unless you really piss them off.

anyone got any experience with these things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

The only problem you might have with badgers is that they may dig holes in your lawn if they go after a worm or beetle. Other than that they are harmless, shy animals best left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd encourage them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

judas101, if they're there already they're happy to be there - in case you were considering it, don't encourage them by feeding, petfood isn't appropriate for badgers or hedgehogs because it doesn't contain the right balance of proteins and carbs that they need. Yes they'll eat it, but it can make them very unwell.

If you have pets keep them away - they can damage the badgers, and an adult male badger can do serious damage to your pets if they bother him. And to you too incidentally, so leave him in peace if he comes visiting.

During the daytime, try and figure out where they're coming into your garden. I say this just in case they start wrecking the place and it annoys you - if they start digging up your lawn or rooting in your flowerbeds for tubers and insects you may start thinking of them as pesky rather than pretty. If you have a walled or fenced off garden and you find out where they're coming in, at least you can block off their access if they do become a problem.

Otherwise best to leave them to it and enjoy watching them - most people will never see a real badger because they're so shy. You're very lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

They quite like mushrooms and are scared of snakes so i hear......

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

(sorry, couldnt resist :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

We regularly have visits from large badgers and despite our fearless jack russell they do persist. It causes some annoyance because its usually very late when the badgers are out and about.

Never forget the first time I encountered one in our shrubbery, believe you me they are a scary sight when you're looking into darkness trying to figure out whats all the commotion about and then they suddenly make a leap in your direction.

Probably look much bigger than reality because of their distinctive striping and long hair. I once had a close encounter with one and I'm not a big fan.

Strike me as stupid 'Wimbly Wombly' creatures, but they'll never outwit or scare Jack Russells.

Our Jack has regular run ins with nocturnal vistors to our garden. Recently we had a memorable encounter with a Ferret.

Now there's a fantastic creature!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

When i moved into my house a few years back i thought i'd see loads of foxes and badgers etc. as although its a modern estate, there are fields all round. To date all i've seen is a couple of cats, so your very lucky OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Thanks for the replies folks.

Ill leave them be unless damage is being done.

The sad thing about this is that there's a massive development going on in the feild behind me this summer where there's loads of foxes and other wildlife (like the badgers!)

It's just like the animals of farthing wood! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

judas101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Ill leave them be unless damage is being done.

The sad thing about this is that there's a massive development going on in the feild behind me this summer where there's loads of foxes and other wildlife (like the badgers!)

It's just like the animals of farthing wood! :(

If there is a badger sett in the area thats going to be developed I think you should maybe let the National Parks and wildlife service know so that whoever is developing the land does it responsibly and that way your visitors don't get their home destroyed.

Heres their contact info LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Im having a LOT of damage being done to my lawn by badgers.

Any reliable way of scaring them off to somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Beautiful creatures and perfectly harmless.

Its also worth bearing in mind that they are a protected species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you live rural. Whatever you do don't go casually asking neighbours, there is bound to be one of them that will feel obliged to relieve you of your problem, with or without your permission. This website may have information about harmlessly encouraging them to go elsewhere. https://www.badgerwatch.ie/ or https://www.vincentwildlife.ie/species/badger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A simple ultrasonic cat/animal deterrent will harmlessly move them elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,374 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A much maligned and tortured species from the old Tuberculosis days.

Not really harmless, they have decimated my lawn

Tried that, didn’t work. 4 of them in fact, still covering most of an acre of lawn with deep holes and quite deep digging in the middle of it, probably 0.5m diameter.

Im at my wits end.

4 of these still didn’t deter them . In fact the digging increased after I placed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One thing I have heard though I have no idea about the efficacy of it is to go and pee (assuming you are male, it has to be male pee) around the borders of the garden/where you think they are coming in. It apparently also works for other animals. Please let us know if it works, if you try it. 😀

Advertisement