Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Locked gates in Coolmine this morning

• 07-05-2008 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Heres the latest commuting amusement; in order to stop what is, I can only assume, thousands of fare evaders, the legends who run Coolmine station have not only closed the entrance/exit gate, they've tied it to the fence with baling twine, so it can't be opend by anyone at all.

Thus forcing everyone through the turnstiles. Now normally people are running late due to trying to find parking, and the vast vast majority of people have monthly/annual tickets, so they just go through the gate and cross over to the train direct from the car park. In rush hour, practically everyone using the station is going to work/college, and those people have tickets in the first place.

Obviously someone asked about this morning, because a extremely cranky ticket office came on the intercom to remind us that we needed a valid ticket for travel. :rolleyes:

If ever there was a problem that didn't need to be fixed............:D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They could of course buy proper turnstiles like on the London Underground which don't slow you down at all if you're skilled at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Red Alert wrote: »
    They could of course buy proper turnstiles like on the London Underground which don't slow you down at all if you're skilled at it.

Its not such a big problem, really, its more that they end up annoying people rather than getting any benefit out of it. Its very tight in that ticket office, the turnstiles are right on top of the ticket machines, and you'll have three sets of queues at times.

Plus I just thought it was very irish to have the gate closed off with baling twine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Just from posts here in the last year or two, there has been cases of people who have used this gate to access the station and have come into issues with tickets etc. While that is of their own making insofar as they didn't purchase tickets etc, it may simply be a case of making it harder to evade fares by closing it off. To be fair, we don't know the extent of the problem but if it was stopping 20+ evaders a day, an action like this would be fruitful.

Also, if there is no card reader at the gate then there is no way of knowing accurately how many people are using their commuter tickets via this platform and thus harder to make a track of commuter patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Would it not make more sense to put turnstiles at the other platform instead of locking the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

The gate was not closed at approx 8:00am anyway.

They have moved the temporary cabin that was on the platform though so those without tickets must go to the booking office.

• Advertisement

markf909 wrote: »
    The gate was not closed at approx 8:00am anyway.

They have moved the temporary cabin that was on the platform though so those without tickets must go to the booking office.

Maybe they opened it again, it was the 7.36 train I got this morning.

Its daft; if you get delayed in the car park (happens a lot)you're going to run to the gate so you can catch your train. If you get caught the other side of the level crossing, you're going to miss your train.

Its probably the busiest station on the route, apart from Clonsilla - they should lay it out better. You'd expect it in Broombridge or something, but not is such a heavily trafficed station. One or two obvious changes would make it so much easier to get in and out of.

As for fare evaders - even if its 20 a day, hundreds use that station, I'll bet almost all have annual/monthly tickets anyway., given the profile of the travellers on their way to work.

Instead of thinking about how to sort out the minority of fare evaders they tie the gate shut with rope for every single commuter arriving at the busiest time of the day, and then give out to everyone about it via the intercom. Genius :D

clubcrown wrote: »
    Maybe they opened it again, it was the 7.36 train I got this morning.

Its daft; if you get delayed in the car park (happens a lot)you're going to run to the gate so you can catch your train. If you get caught the other side of the level crossing, you're going to miss your train.

Its probably the busiest station on the route, apart from Clonsilla - they should lay it out better. You'd expect it in Broombridge or something, but not is such a heavily trafficed station. One or two obvious changes would make it so much easier to get in and out of.

As for fare evaders - even if its 20 a day, hundreds use that station, I'll bet almost all have annual/monthly tickets anyway., given the profile of the travellers on their way to work.

Instead of thinking about how to sort out the minority of fare evaders they tie the gate shut with rope for every single commuter arriving at the busiest time of the day, and then give out to everyone about it via the intercom. Genius :D

For Irish Rail, the customer come last all of the time. See the letter in the metro today for another example of that.

Back on this topic, I agree Coolmine is a pretty poor station, given that it is the busiest by far. The platforms are extremely narrow and it has a huge catchment area either side of the gates. Most commuters have season tickets so why not put automated barriers on the side without the booking office?

markpb wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense to put turnstiles at the other platform instead of locking the gate?

I would assume that turnstiles would need to be enclosed and sheltered from rain etc unless there is outdoor stiles somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I would assume that turnstiles would need to be enclosed and sheltered from rain etc unless there is outdoor stiles somewhere.

Irish Rail and AIB fitted outdoor turnstiles to the Lansdowne Road station so AIB staff can get from the HQ to the station without walking miles around Ballsbridge. I can't remember exactly what type of turnstile is there but if it can be done in Ballbridge, surely it can be done in Coolmine?

I see the cabin has been removed as well on the opposite platform. So now you have to go to the ticket office to buy your ticket, which means you might get caught at the level crossing, and miss your train.

Now unless they're putting in a ticket machin on that side as well, this is a retrograde step - it took ages for them to put the cabin there in the first place. Anyone know if they're putting barriers in over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

they used to lock the gates there before without a rope on the roselawn side i used to press the buzzer and they used to say you have to have a ticket when i used my season ticket to the camera they released the gate. if they insist on closing the gate again why dont they start doing this again. the staff at coolmine have really angered me over the years to the extent i neally got banned from this board for been angry towords them.

jjbrien wrote: »
    they used to lock the gates there before without a rope on the roselawn side i used to press the buzzer and they used to say you have to have a ticket when i used my season ticket to the camera they released the gate. if they insist on closing the gate again why dont they start doing this again. the staff at coolmine have really angered me over the years to the extent i neally got banned from this board for been angry towords them.

The staff there are pretty awful, when they are actually working; no announcements of any kind, rude to customers, one in particular who I think was openly racist to an elderly black lady in front of me in the queue; she was confused as to where the city center was exactly, and he more or less screamed at her to get out of his face and stop annoying him - I ended up helping her myself and reporting him. Of course he still works there, so I assume nothing was done.

This was the same guy who left 5 people waiting in a queue one sunday because he was playing something on a playstation in the office. They missed their train into town as a result, and he told them that they should have turned up earlier.

I see the cabin has been removed as well on the opposite platform. So now you have to go to the ticket office to buy your ticket, which means you might get caught at the level crossing, and miss your train.

Now unless they're putting in a ticket machin on that side as well, this is a retrograde step - it took ages for them to put the cabin there in the first place. Anyone know if they're putting barriers in over there?

I didn't know of the outdoor stiles in other stations, that is a possibility.

As for you getting caught at level crossings, get there earlier in future:)

I didn't know of the outdoor stiles in other stations, that is a possibility.

As for you getting caught at level crossings, get there earlier in future:)

Funny, but those gates often go down for 5-8 mins at a time. So you may well be on time for your train, but the gates might be down for a different train altogether, so you're stuck..................again, a simple thing to fix, so lets hope they do put a machine on that side.

Funny, but those gates often go down for 5-8 mins at a time. So you may well be on time for your train, but the gates might be down for a different train altogether, so you're stuck..................again, a simple thing to fix, so lets hope they do put a machine on that side.

No, you are only on time for your train if you are in the station and on the platform when it arrives. It goes without saying that the more access points the better but until then it is a case of get there earlier.

No, you are only on time for your train if you are in the station and on the platform when it arrives.

You actually have no idea of how bad the Coolmine gates work do you?

It is quite possible to be 10 mins "early" for a train there and still not get on the platform.

No, you are only on time for your train if you are in the station and on the platform when it arrives. It goes without saying that the more access points the better but until then it is a case of get there earlier.

That makes sense of course - but you don't really expect people to check all incoming and outgoing trains to the station? I look at my time table, see my train is at 14:00, and get there at 13:55. Gates are down due to a train coming the other way, that I had no idea about, and theres no way for me to get to my train without jumping the gate and strolling onto the platform.

All of which means I'm evading a fare. This kind of scenario is why they had a kiosk on that platform in the first place - so people could still buy their ticket on that side of the station - but now they've removed that kiosk altogether.

People are busy, you can't expect them to be in a station 20 mins before a train arrives. And if you've ever driven in north west dublin, you'd know it can be impossible to get there to the station on time anyway :D

You actually have no idea of how bad the Coolmine gates work do you?

It is quite possible to be 10 mins "early" for a train there and still not get on the platform.

I do know how it is, I have been caught waiting for them to open before but in fairness they are no better or worse in terms of time than other crossings in Dublin or indeed in the country. It would be ideal to have a second entrance to the station but unless it can be secure against fare evaders it isn't a runner; ditto for other stations. Somebody did mention an arrangement at Lansdowne Road so assuming this works well, yes it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I was at Lousia Bridge a couple of weeks ago one Friday evening (bout 7ish) and the station was closed and the gate down to the (city bound) platform was locked.

Luckily I'm not 70 or with a pram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Let face reality here. These stations are pretty unfriendly. Hardly any parking. Poor access, no shop/toilets, almost no weather protection. Its basically a platform and ticket office. Couldn't be more bare unless it was bus stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

For Irish Rail, the customer come last all of the time.

But you are forgetting that IE have the most modern passenger rolling stock in Europe and therefore all other issues/complaints are 100% nullified as a result.

Bit like being shot by a robber with a state-of-the-art firearm. You suffer in style.

Bit like being shot by a robber with a state-of-the-art firearm. You suffer in style.

and then being buried in a velvet lined coffin with a ministerial plaque on the gravestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The staff there are pretty awful, when they are actually working; no announcements of any kind, rude to customers, one in particular who I think was openly racist to an elderly black lady in front of me in the queue; she was confused as to where the city center was exactly, and he more or less screamed at her to get out of his face and stop annoying him - I ended up helping her myself and reporting him. Of course he still works there, so I assume nothing was done.

I know exactly who you are talking about!!

They should build a bridge over the tracks if they insist on locking these gates so people from the roselawn side can go across and buy a ticket or atleast put a ticket machine and a turnstlye there as other posters have said.

Has anyone been down at Clonsilla Station recenlty none of this silly noncence happens and the new girl who works there wow shes great!

:D

Best analogy i've heard in a while.

BostonB wrote: »
    Let face reality here. These stations are pretty unfriendly. Hardly any parking. Poor access, no shop/toilets, almost no weather protection. Its basically a platform and ticket office. Couldn't be more bare unless it was bus stop.

That's all you need for a commuter rail station.

Its not just commuters who use the train, and even if it was, many people would like to have some basic facilities. No fun standing there on a rainswept platform on a cold winter morning and no cover. Besides if other countries can to have decent "Commuter" stations I don't see why we can't. The idea is to encourage people on to the train, not make it an endurance test.

That's all you need for a commuter rail station.

No it isn't, if you have a level crossing, you need a ticket office for each side of the crossing, exit validation on both sides and some covered areas so people don't get soaked.

And bike racks, especially if there is no car parking. Thats essential. Oh and the electronic notice boards should be switched on. And the clock should be set to the right time and date (in coolmine the date has been 3-4 months and actually a few years out for a long time now).

Ironically Phoenix Park station has all of these things, along with actual seats, a working notice board, etc, but very few people use that station.

Competent staff would be nice too, but I'm living in fantasy land there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No it isn't, if you have a level crossing, you need a ticket office for each side of the crossing, exit validation on both sides and some covered areas so people don't get soaked.

And bike racks, especially if there is no car parking. Thats essential. Oh and the electronic notice boards should be switched on. And the clock should be set to the right time and date (in coolmine the date has been 3-4 months and actually a few years out for a long time now).

Ironically Phoenix Park station has all of these things, along with actual seats, a working notice board, etc, but very few people use that station.

Competent staff would be nice too, but I'm living in fantasy land there :D

Well, no, if you were really living in fantasy land you'd have included trains that run on time.

MOH wrote: »
    Well, no, if you were really living in fantasy land you'd have included trains that run on time.

To be honest, I think the maynooth line service is actually pretty good, as a whole. Certainly compared to some of the horror stories you hear about from other lines. there generally aren't too many delays, and most of the ones that do happen are because of level crossings as far as I can see.

Its just the stations, staff and lack of carraiges that are a problem, the timetable isn't too bad :o

• Advertisement

I'd probably agree with most of that. Though I think the frequency could be increased outside peak hours.

Advertisement