Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Seed Packets

• 23-04-2008 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Just back from Germany and was in a few supermarkets there. The packets of veggie seeds ranged from 19c to 49c (dearest for peas and beans) each.

I notice that in Ireland the seeds can range from 2.49 to nearly 5 euro in the garden centres!! Any idea why/if we are being ripped off!!

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

arctictree wrote: »
    Just back from Germany and was in a few supermarkets there. The packets of veggie seeds ranged from 19c to 49c (dearest for peas and beans) each.

I notice that in Ireland the seeds can range from 2.49 to nearly 5 euro in the garden centres!! Any idea why/if we are being ripped off!!

A
    Are you comparing like with like? You can get packets of seeds in Lidl/Aldi for 59c but whether they would be the same quality/quantity as say, Johnsons or Suttons is a moot point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ich_verschwinde

well, its not just seeds are so much cheaper in Germany...! ;)
    But i believe that the Aldi/Lidl seeds are just as good as the Suttons.. etc, We planted tomatoes last year and decided to try the Lidl seeds. We also used the Lidl tomato food, and i couldnt complain about the plant quality at all.. and more importantly the taste :)
    The year before we planted expensive ones and they developed a disease .. so the more expensive ones are also prone to that aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well - I got some lettuce and Basil seeds. I'll try them and see what the difference is! My gut experience tells me that there can't really be much difference in quality. I mean, its not like buying furniture or a car etc. What really matters is your quality of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

arctictree wrote: »

A

A complete rip-off! I've noticed how much seeds have been going up over the last 5 years. The best response is not to buy them.

Go down to Aldi/Lidl and get them for a fraction of the price. Even if the germination rate is lower - who's ever used a full packet of lettuce seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Reyman wrote: »
    Go down to Aldi/Lidl and get them for a fraction of the price. Even if the germination rate is lower - who's ever used a full packet of lettuce seeds?

Very true

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I completly agree the price of seeds is gone silly. I usually buy the seeds from discount shops for about €1+.

All the big name seed sellers may test their seeds for high germination but, I have never had a problem with the cheaper ones.

Seeds are seeds

Advertisement