Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please help disabled driver choose a car

• 19-03-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭

I need help choosing a a car!!!!!!!

I'm a disabled driver, and I don't know where to go/what car to choose???? Any suggestions would be great!?

I currently have an 02 Micra Automatic, but want to go a bit bigger.........

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

and it has to have 3 doors.

3 door autos are a bit of a limited market.

Golf GT DSG TSI at €25425 would hold its money very well.
    would be sought after in 2 years due to its low motor tax rate under the current system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread may see more action with a better title

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

my friend, who is also disabled, just got a new VW polo and loves it. She said that the garage told her the adaptions from her old corsa, were very easy to put onto the Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

LOL. Sorry dude. I'm just soo frustrated.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

colm_mcm wrote: »
    and it has to have 3 doors.

3 door autos are a bit of a limited market.

Golf GT DSG TSI at €25425 would hold its money very well.
    would be sought after in 2 years due to its low motor tax rate under the current system.

My better half just got her Golf GT 1.9TDI DSG. Wonderful car I can't fault it. It should hold its residuals as well.

• Advertisement

leincar wrote: »
    My better half just got her Golf GT 1.9TDI DSG. Wonderful car I can't fault it. It should hold its residuals as well.

Are you sure it's available in automatic transmission? According to their site, it doesn't seem to be.........?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you sure it's available in automatic transmission? According to their site, it doesn't seem to be.........?

DSG, thats the auto

mickdw wrote: »
    DSG, thats the auto

Bloody hell!! Why can't it just say AUTO, instead of a poncy name like DSG??

:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I presume you can get a new car without having to pay VRT or VAT? And in that case you can sell your car after 2 years and buy another one?

Take maximum benefit of this. Buy a new premium car with low depreciation like a BMW 318d / 320d auto or a Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI auto. Keep it for 2 years and sell it for more than you bought it for. You can use the profit you'll make towards your running costs
    mike65 wrote: »

+1

I took the liberty to edit the title...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PurelyEsoteric

Bloody hell!! Why can't it just say AUTO, instead of a poncy name like DSG??

:mad::rolleyes:
    Cause it works differently to a normal auto. It can be put into manual mode and gears are changed with sexy paddles near the steering wheel. It also shifts through gears differently. It works faster than a normal gearbox.
    But none of that matters much if you drive it in auto mode :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

unkel wrote: »
    I presume you can get a new car without having to pay VRT or VAT? And in that case you can sell your car after 2 years and buy another one?... Keep it for 2 years and sell it for more than you bought it for
    Is it legal to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭fabsoul

fletch wrote: »
    Is it legal to do that?

yes, i do it every 2 yrs

that's why choice of car is very important. one with good residual values is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

OP my boss has a 4 door Honda Civic saloon... looks good and he said he'd never buy anything other than a honda again

I presume you can get a new car without having to pay VRT or VAT? And in that case you can sell your car after 2 years and buy another one?

Take maximum benefit of this. Buy a new premium car with low depreciation like a BMW 318d / 320d auto or a Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI auto. Keep it for 2 years and sell it for more than you bought it for. You can use the profit you'll make towards your running costs

+1

I took the liberty to edit the title...

LOL:D

Cause it works differently to a normal auto. It can be put into manual mode and gears are changed with sexy paddles near the steering wheel. It also shifts through gears differently. It works faster than a normal gearbox.
    But none of that matters much if you drive it in auto mode :D

But, imo, the "paddles" would be no bloody use as the car is an automatic!? I think I'll be going back to the Nissan Micra???
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Turbodreams

i really would advise getting a car that does not depreciate fast. my mother (having a disabled daughter) was able to change her VW Golf every 2 years and on average make around €800-1000 profit after the change! something to consider.

i really would advise getting a car that does not depreciate fast. my mother (having a disabled daughter) was able to change her VW Golf every 2 years and on average make around €800-1000 profit after the change! something to consider.

I have only ever bought one car, and that was 6 years ago. I didn't survey the market back then. It was recommended to me by other friends with disabilities to go for the Nissan Micra, but now, as I said, I want to go bigger....?

I am getting more and more confused..........?

perhaps if you contact the wheelchair association they might be able to help you with your decision. My personal recommendation would be a GolF or an Audi A3 but it all depends on your circumstances, budget, personal preference etc. Hope you find the right one!

perhaps if you contact the wheelchair association they might be able to help you with your decision. My personal recommendation would be a GolF or an Audi A3 but it all depends on your circumstances, budget, personal preference etc. Hope you find the right one!

Yeah, I don't wanna go too Mental(no pun intended:D)spending money???

• Advertisement

With either of the cars I suggested, the OP would make a profit a lot bigger than that!
    Yeah, I don't wanna go too Mental(no pun intended:D)spending money???

The drawback of getting a new car is that it will probably have to be financed. Surely you don't have €40-50k lying around the house? :D

Ring your bank manager and explain - I don't think they'll have a problem gving you finance

With either of the cars I suggested, the OP would make a profit a lot bigger than that!

Not quite. There is a limit to the amount of VRT and VAT claimable by a disabled driver. Think it's in the region of €9,000

Not quite. There is a limit to the amount of VRT and VAT claimable by a disabled driver. Think it's in the region of €9,000

Any link, Colm?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

This taken from the revenue.ie website.

# Relief in respect of Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and Value Added Tax (VAT) may be obtained, subject to a maximum of :

* €9,525 for a driver.
    * €15,875 for a passenger.
    * €15,875 for a family member.

# Relief is restricted to a vehicle which has been specially constructed or adapted for use by a person with a disability and which has an engine size of less than 2,000cc in the case of a driver and 4,000cc in the case of a passenger.
    # A vehicle which has been relieved from tax may not be disposed of for at least two years.

Hi Guys

After a lot of head-wrecking. I have decided to go with the Ford Fiesta 1.4l tiptronic.

The deal that I am being offered is very good, and I am happy with it.

Cheers

MM

Glad to hear ya got sorted, gud luck with the new motor!

Glad to hear ya got sorted, gud luck with the new motor!

Thanks mate. :D

I have one more question..............:

While attempting to make up my mind(some of my friends called it "dithering)about the new car, I went ahead and renewed the insurance on my current car, as it is due for renewal next week. Would/should I have much hassle changing over my insurance on the new car??

I have a quote of €511 for my current car(1 litre Nissan Micra auto)from my current insurers - Hibernian(thru 123.ie). FBD had offered me a quote of €400 odd for the Ford Fiesta 1.4l auto.

Would it be much hassle switching insurance companies??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Would it be much hassle switching insurance companies??

Hi Mental Mickey,

Shouldn't be a problem. When you tell Hibernian that you are changing insurance companies, they are required by law to issue a statement of no-claims bonus, which you simply submit to your new insurance company to prove your no-claims discount. They'll take it from there.

€400 is very good for a 1.4 Auto compared to €511 for a micra which had a smaller engine!

Best of Luck

maoleary wrote: »
    Hi Mental Mickey,

Shouldn't be a problem. When you tell Hibernian that you are changing insurance companies, they are required by law to issue a statement of no-claims bonus, which you simply submit to your new insurance company to prove your no-claims discount. They'll take it from there.

€400 is very good for a 1.4 Auto compared to €511 for a micra which had a smaller engine!

Best of Luck

The reason I was quoted €511 for the Micra was because I went thru a broker, whereas the quote for the Fiesta was gotten didrectly from FBD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The reason I was quoted €511 for the Micra was because I went thru a broker, whereas the quote for the Fiesta was gotten didrectly from FBD.

damn brokers!! :pac:

Advertisement