Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pun appreciation thread!

• 29-02-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ok folks, time to start a thread dedicated to puns only. Please vote your opinions on the lowest of the low in the world of humour!

Please feel free to place all your devious punnery in here with your replies. You can create puns arising from anything and everthing from funny stories, jokes, current affairs/news, pictures, other user's comments and even other usernames.

Feel free to post new topics anytime, especially if a particular topic has dried up or dying and the thread is in dire need of some punicillin.....

p.s. Groan-inducing posts are encouraged, and if you're unsure whether to post a particularly dodgy pun, just ask yourself this: 'Do you feel lucky punk? well, do ya?' :D

Puns? What are your opunions on them? 334 votes

Can’t get enough of them, nothing like a good pun-chline
    0% 0 votes
    Hate them, they should be ex-pun-ged from society
    92% 310 votes
    In France un oeuf is enough
    7% 24 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that grand central pub in o connell street is, er, grand and central

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A thread dedicated to puns? This is punbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

that grand central pub in o connell street is, er, grand and central

O'Connell street eh? must check that place, anywhere i can do some reading on good pubs in Dublin? any good books published?

(Yes i know that was poor, i'll have to raise the bar a little from now on......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I once entered 10 puns in a pun competition thinking a least one of the 10 would win something.
    Unfortunately no pun in ten did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 el_barty

This thread reminds me of a German dinner party... in that the wurst is yet to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

el_barty wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of a German dinner party... in that the wurst is yet to come!

Aw beanstalk, I think you just got pun3d!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

You walrus hurt the one you love.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

An old groaner pour encourager les autres ...

Bill had been getting progressively more bald at a very young age, and it was depressing him quite a bit. Eventually, he decided to get a wig, and the following evening he came into the pub looking 10 years younger, with a full head of jet black hair. The locals admired his new look, and complimented him on how realistic it looked.

Eventually, Joe asked him for a closer look, and, though slightly embarrassed, he slipped the wig off and handed it over. However, as soon as Joe took the wig, he began to complain about everything: the weather, his job, the quality of the pint, anything and everything you could think of. Puzzled by this irresistable urge to moan, he handed the wig to Tom to give back to Bill, and suddenly his normal good humour re-asserted itself.

Tom, however, even in the few seconds he had the wig in his hands, had already announced to the pub that his wife was useless: couldn't cook, and was ferociously dirty around the house, but not, unfortunately, when she got to bed. Again, as soon as he had handed the wig back to Bill, the torrent of complaints dried up, and he was his old cheerful self again.

The three friends, completely confused and puzzled, were starting to discuss what on earth had happened, when the barman leant across the counter towards them, and told them not to worry about it.

"Why?" they asked.

"Ah, 'tis perfectly natural, lads!" he said. "Sure doesn't everybody complain when they have Bill's toupee?"

Oliverdog wrote: »

That doesn't floe very easily ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This thread is very punny!

• Advertisement

Oliverdog wrote: »

Heh, that one gets my seal of approval....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rolotomasee

You all deserve to be punished!

[FONT=times new roman,helvetica]The big chess tournament was taking place at the Plaza in New York. After the first day's competition, many of the winners were sitting around in the foyer of the hotel talking about their matches and bragging about their wonderful play. After a few drinks they started getting louder and louder until finally, the desk clerk couldn't take any more and kicked them out.

The next morning the Manager called the clerk into his office and told him there had been many complaints about his being so rude to the hotel guests....instead of kicking them out, he should have just asked them to be less noisy. The clerk responded, "I'm sorry, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

It is difficult to escape being a peasant because resistance is feudal
    gdpit_com_24745003_70.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 el_barty

Sorry it's so late folks, but I just got in from a wedding. Two television aerials got married. The ceremony wasn't up to much, but the reception was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Puns is it? Well you know what they say, people who indulge in wordplay get up to some antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some of ye need to calm down before there's punches thrown

Think there are a lot of punch drunk people in this thread at this stage ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Can any old punter chip in? Might need a bit of g'lic for this...

Seán Mac Seánaín was the talk of the town the time he got his combined harvester. His young lad Séamus, fruit of his loins and an excellent judge of cattle took it upon himself to figure out how to operate the combined harvester. No bother to Séamus it was and away he went on the combined. Evening came and Séamus had not returned. Anxious, Seán went down to Bríd Uí Mháille's place and with a hint of desperation asked "An bhfaca tú mo Shéamaisín?"

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Very good!

Will we wheat to explain it?

• Advertisement

Cool, although I just barley got it...a little corny....I can't help it, they just keep cropping up....

A woman has twins and gives them up for adoption. One goes to a family in Egypt and is named "Amal." The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him "Juan." Years later, Juan sends a picture of himself to his Mom. Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband that she wishes she also had a picture of Amal. Her husband responds, "But they're twins. If you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal."

==============

Mom and Dad Potato sit down with their three daughter potatoes.
    "Kids,"they say, "you're old enough now to go out and find yourselves husbands. We want you to be happy with them, but we also want you to be sure and choose a husband the whole family can be proud of."

With that,they send their children forth to find mates.
    A few months later the first daughter returns.

"Mom, Dad, I'd like youto meet my fiance, Peter Potato. Peter's from Idaho.""
    Idaho! Wonderful! Welcome to the family, Peter."

A few months after that the second daughter comes home.
    "Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet my fiance, Paul Potato. Paul is from Maine."
    "Maine! Well, delighted to meet you, Paul."

A few months after that, the third daughter walks in.
    "Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet my fiance, Tom Brokaw."
    "Um...would you excuse us for a moment, Tom?"
    The parents take the third daughter aside and tell her that they do not approve of this match and will cut her out of the will if she goes through with it.
    "But Mom! Dad! I thought you'd be thrilled! What's the matter with Tom Brokaw?"

"Don't you understand? He's a common tater!"

=================

A boy came into the house with a sofa on his back.
    His father said, "How many times have I told you not to accept suites from strangers!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

1. I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
    2. Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.
    3. I couldn't quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but eventually it came back to me.
    4. He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.
    5. There was a sign on the lawn at a drug re-hab center that said 'Keep off the Grass'.
    6. Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.
    7. A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was a nurse said 'No change yet'.
    8. What did the grape say when it got stepped on? Nothing - but it let out a little whine.
    9. The butcher backed up into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work.
    10. There was once a cross-eyed teacher who couldn't control his pupils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

2 lesbians in a bath,1 says to the other "where's the soap?". to which the other replies" it does, doesn't it?"

Hagar wrote: »
    A boy came into the house with a sofa on his back.
    His father said, "How many times have I told you not to accept suites from strangers!?"

Thats Puntastic!
    Excellent Hagar, gonna use that one.

Did you hear what happened to the magician who lost his job? He became very dis-illusioned.....

The Irish should be rich because their capital is always Dublin....

Taxi-drivers charge so much these days....it's just so unfare...

The galley slaves were taking a rest after a full day rowing under merciless sun with the sound of the slave driver's gong still ringing in their ears.
    "It's not the captain's waterskiing that bothers me so much" said one slave to his shipmate. "It's that gong, gong, gong every two seconds. I'm going to get rid of it"
    The slaves decide that under cover of darkness, they would lift the gong from its chains and throw it overboard.
    "We can't do it like that" suggested one of the plotters "They would be sure to hear us - we'll have to find a way to slip it quietly into the water".
    So that night, six of the slaves lifted the heavy gong and carried it carefully to the stern of the galley - but there was no way to slip the gong into the water without banging it noisily on the boat.
    "I have it! - I'll slip under the rail and hold on with my back to the stern, then I will act as a slide for you to ease the gong over my body and quietly into the water", said the brightest of the slaves.
    This was working perfectly, when suddenly the slave driver appeared behind the plotters.
    "What the hell do you think you're doing?" he shouted.
    To a man, the men sprang to attention, and burst into song ...

One, two, three -

"We're sliding a gong on the chest of a slave ...."

Back to deal you out more punishment.

A guy goes into a seafood restaurant and asks to see the dishes of the day. The waiter wheels over a trolley and the man examines the dishes.
    "I'll have the little green squid with the hairy lip, please" says the man. "O.K." replies the waiter and calls out "Gervais!"

A little French chef appears with a large knife, the waiter instructs the chef to kill the little green squid with the hairy lip.

Gervais is just about to slice at the poor squid when he notices a tear running down its face. Gervais is touched, and admits that he hasn't the heart to kill the squid.

"Not to worry" says the waiter, and calls out "Hans!!" at which an enormous German bloke comes out of the kitchen. "Sir", says the waiter, "this is Hans, the dishwasher. Hans, kill that squid!"

The dishwasher wields a huge rolling pin and is just about to bludgeon the little green squid with the hairy lip when it cringes back and gives a little cry.

"I am sorry sir, I just cannot kill the squid" Hans admits, his lower lip trembling.

"Well sir," says the waiter, "it just goes to show.

That Hans that do dishes, can be soft as Gervais. With mild green, hairy lip squid!"

There are 2 prawns, one called Johnny and one called Christian. They're happy prawns, playing with their happy prawn friends. One day Johnny decides that he's bored, so he goes to see Cod.
    "Cod, I'm bored," says Johnny. "Please turn me into a great big shark!"
    So Cod waves his magic fin and turns Johnny into a shark.
    Johnny swims off and has a few fun weeks scaring all his little friends. But eventually they work out that this particular shark isn't going to eat them, so they start ignoring him. Johnny gets angry and (disturbed prawn that he is) starts eating them. At last, there is only Christian left, and Johnny wants to play with him. He goes to Christian's rock and says,
    "Christian, come out and play with me!"
    "Nononono, you're a big shark, you're going to eat me!"
    "No, I won't eat you, please come and play with me."
    "Nononono, you're a great big shark, you're going to eat me!"
    So Johnny swims off to see Cod.
    "Cod, I'm bored! All my friends are dead, and Christian won't play with me. Please turn me back into a prawn again." Cod says "OK, I think you've learned your lesson," waves his magic fin and Johnny is a prawn again. He swims off to see Christian.
    "Come out and play with me," he calls.
    "Nonono, you're a shark, you're going to eat me!"
    "No, it's OK! I've spoken to Cod, I'm a prawn again Christian!"

There are two legionnaires in the desert, and they've been separated from their unit and are lost. They've been wandering for several days without food and water, and are nearly resigned to the fact that they will soon die from dehydration, when as they reach the top of a sand dune, they see a big, bustling market laid out before them. Naturally, they can't believe their eyes and think it's a mirage, but as they draw closer, they can hear the stallholders' cries, and they eventually reach the market and realise that it's really there.
    So the legionnaires rush up to the first stall they can and cry to the stallholder, "Stallholder, we have been travelling in the desert for many days, and have had no food or water. We shall surely die soon unless you have some you can sell us - tell us, do you have any sustenance for us?"
    The stallholder shook his head and replied "I'm sorry, French legionnaire type people, but all I have to sell is a load of bowls full of jelly, topped with custard and cream, and lovingly sprinkled with hundreds and thousands."
    The legionnaires look at each other, mildly surprised, and move on to the next stall, where they ask the stallholder, "Mr purveyor of fine foodstuffs and the like, we have been travelling through the desert for days, deprived of the necessary beverages and foodstuffs which are required for survival. We shall surely die soon, unless you can sell us some skins of water."
    The stallholder looked at them embarrassed, and confessed "Gentlemen, tragic as I admit it is, I have none of the ingredients necessary to life for which you ask me... all I have to sell is this large bowl of jelly topped with custard and cream and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands, with a little cocktail cherry in the middle at the top - there," he said, pointing out the glace cherry. "I cannot help you..."
    The legionnaires look at each other in desperation, and run on to the next stall, where they demand of the stallholder, "Look mate, we need water or we'll die. We've been travelling without water for days and need some now, Do you have any you can sell us?"
    The stallholder looked at his curl-ended shoes in shame as he confessed, "Sorry, fellas, all I have to sell you is a bowl of jelly, with custard, cream and hundreds and thousands. I can't help you. I'll have to condemn you to a long and lingering death through dehydration."
    The legionnaires were really worried by this point, and they went through the market, stall by stall, asking each stallholder whether they had any water they could sell them, and thus save their lives, but each stallholder gave the same reply, all they had to sell was a bowl of jelly with cream, custard and hundreds and thousands. Dejected and resigned to their grim fate, the legionnaires left the desert market and walked off into the setting sun. As they did so, one turned to the other, and said, "That was really odd - a big market in the middle of nowhere, and all they sold was bowls of jelly with custard, cream and hundreds and thousands." The other turned to face his companion and replied, "Yes, it was a trifle bazaar..."

Penty of groans after that, the knives are out for me and
    here it comes, my perma ban from the Pun forum.

Yes, especially for the two piscatorial puns.

If ever there was a case for a good going-over with the fish-knives, you certainly fillet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Jayus:p

Punters everywhere:eek:

Advertisement