Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows in Waterford, who's best?

• 22-02-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

All
    I am thinking of gettin replacement windows for the whole house, 7 in all and a front door. Just wondering if anyone had experiences with the local window suppliers and would like to comment. I had a quote from Harris but he failed to show up after to look at the job even after callin he fobbed me off and said he'd call the folowing day but didn't, that was for 4500 euro georgian windows, Senator called today (friday) very professional, on time, good information and outline of product and features, price 5500 euro.
    I want to know basically who does the best quality job, i don't mind paying abit extra for quality.
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

The lad that done my house was david swift,sorry havnt got a no. but id reccomend him,good quality work at a very reasonabble price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ray1

You could try MD windows based in Slieverue
    He did our house for us Very professional
    Number in phone book

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭floyd333

I replaced all my windows a few years back . Larry Farrell did it. i though the was very good. Great service, good price and he is a top bloke. All the family have used him since. His number is 086 2449085

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 well well well

JLemmon wrote: »
    All
    I am thinking of gettin replacement windows for the whole house, 7 in all and a front door. Just wondering if anyone had experiences with the local window suppliers and would like to comment. I had a quote from Harris but he failed to show up after to look at the job even after callin he fobbed me off and said he'd call the folowing day but didn't, that was for 4500 euro georgian windows, Senator called today (friday) very professional, on time, good information and outline of product and features, price 5500 euro.
    I want to know basically who does the best quality job, i don't mind paying abit extra for quality.
    J

hi there im surprised al harris windows i used to build extension a few years back and found him very efficient ..if you are looking for good quality i personally use crestheavan ther out near the nct centre

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I was recommended to use Cresthaven as well, they came out and measured up but we haven't picked out the particular windows yet so don't have an exact price.
    They seem good so far and accommodating up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

hey there all the advice i can give you is look around plenty of cowboys in that game good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Jimmy Maher uPVC. Without doubt probably the best in terms of finish and after-sales service. Got mine from him 12 years ago, and never a problem with him calling when anything's wrong (which is very rare). Get him on 871773.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

My Dad has just registered a new company, Hi-Spec Windows. He imports high quality timber, alu/timber and pvc windows and doors from a great Lithuanian manafacturing company called Megrame. All timber from managed from managed forests, and a seriously quality product.

His name is Walter Power, he was the managing director of Thermoframe Ireland and has over thirty years experience in the business. Myself and my Dad have personally fitted five houses with Megrame windows to research the product before he started this business. Trust me they are a lovely window.

Will PM you his number as I am not sure of the boards rules, look out for a new showroom out in the Riverstown business park in Tramore. Give him my name and he'll look after you with a good supply and fit price !

Cheers,

Nathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

my parents had problems with cresthaven, they had get them out 3 times and then get the MD out to see that the door they got was leaking all the time and there fix was to put silcone onto a 2500 front door, they had to badger them to replace the door. So be careful...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

my parents had problems with cresthaven, they had get them out 3 times and then get the MD out to see that the door they got was leaking all the time and there fix was to put silcone onto a 2500 front door, they had to badger them to replace the door. So be careful...

They're not the only people to have problems with said company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deisemum wrote: »
    They're not the only people to have problems with said company.

Heard similar complaints from my neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

These will beat anyone for price and their work is perfection.

http://www.dbwindows.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭furry

Just resurrecting this thread.
    Looking to get a long skinny window: 4ft x 2ft completely replaced.
    looking for a recommendation, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

shapez wrote: »
    These will beat anyone for price and their work is perfection.

http://www.dbwindows.ie/

+1

I got my windows and doors with D & B Windows and would recommend them very highly. The quality of the windows is excellent and they look great. Got mine filled with Argon gas for extra insulation. Don't choose anyone without first talking to these guys.

Oops...just noticed this thread had been bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Got mine from Cresthaven a few years ago and not very impressed. The standard of internal plaster work by the crew that did it left a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately I didn't check the unit's before installation (they had stickers on each, telling you to check em which I didn't see till later)

Most were grand but the hall door frame had a few chips or cuts in the frame at the bottom.

Fitted the wrong type door lock and the outside plastering began to flake off.

Only I had other things on my mind I would have kicked up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Bonmahon Joinery and uPVC, good quality in their windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Bonmahon Joinery did the front of our house a few years back. The windows were fine but the mess they left including piles of wet plaster in a bedroom was pretty bad. We had wooden floors that required sanding and staining after the Bonmahon boys had finished trashing the place. They paid for that lack of professionalism.

Cresthaven did the rear of the house a year later and were tidy, the windows were great, though we had to call them back a few times to deal with issues with a back door.

old gregg wrote: »
    Bonmahon Joinery did the front of our house a few years back. The windows were fine but the mess they left including piles of wet plaster in a bedroom was pretty bad. We had wooden floors that required sanding and staining after the Bonmahon boys had finished trashing the place. They paid for that lack of professionalism.

Cresthaven did the rear of the house a year later and were tidy, the windows were great, though we had to call them back a few times to deal with issues with a back door.
    Did you complain to Bonmahon Joinery about the mess?
    Can you remember who fitted the windows?

STIG83 wrote: »

For sure we complained and were in the nice position of not having paid the final balance on the job. We deducted money to cover the cost of cleaning up and handed them the balance. I'd have no idea who actually did the work as it was a few years ago.

For sure we complained and were in the nice position of not having paid the final balance on the job. We deducted money to cover the cost of cleaning up and handed them the balance. I'd have no idea who actually did the work as it was a few years ago.
    Some of their fitters should clean up after themselves than spout crap like they do.

• Advertisement

Some of their fitters should clean up after themselves than spout crap like they do.

Indeed. As we go through life we should all clean up after ourselves so to not require the services of
    image_3.png
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭furry

Thanks for all replies....got a few quotes and going with Tom O'Driscoll.
    God. Save. Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Have you tried muster joinery?

relatives had work done by them recently and they were by far the cheapest. Work was top class, workmen were very professional, tidy and very efficient.

They'd definitely recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I'd recommend to stay away from Bonmahon Joinery. Window build quality poor with unexplainable mistakes, poor installation, poor service. Got windows and doors installed by them, nearly everything had at least 1 problem and most still do over 1 year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭decies

Sorry to dig up old thread but looking for best window supplier in Waterford and front and back door as well. Any uptodate experiences ? Was thinking of Munster Joinery or Senator Windows . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We had Windows and patio doors installed by Windows Direct - www.windowsdirect.ie -based in the Six Cross Roads. Found them very helpful and had query a few weeks after installation (nothing wrong with the windows just something I couldn't figure out), and they called first thing the next morning to help me sort it out.

Edit: looks like their mobile site isn't working but hopefully it'd work on a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Steer as far away from Munster joinery as possible.

If you do go with them, as they will be the cheapest, don't under any circumstances give them your credit or debit card details.

Pay the deposit in cash or with cheque as they will take the final balance off your card at the end of the job without your permission whether you are happy or not with the job.

It then becomes extremely hard to get them back to fix any snags as they have all the cash they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

Windows direct i have used and very helpful like the person above,would recomend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Rustyman101

Larry Farrell cork rd , good quality work n tidy

Advertisement