Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1990 Opel Kadett, Corsa Cup Special Edition

• 23-02-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly classic i know, but for a laugh but does anyone out there know if theres any of those special edition opel kadett and corsa cups that were made for the 1990 world cup left on the road, or how many in total were made?

I think they were all in white with a sort of green and orange football logo on the side and bootlid,with cup writrten over that. My religion teacher had a corsa when it was nearly new, i think they had some extra bits from higher spec models on them aswell. Id forgotten about them until i was talking to a friend today, dunno how they came up in conversation though!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I think I remember them. It's been a while since I saw one though, a long while! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yep, same as me, just thought id throw it out there and see what comes back:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Dont think there is any on the road now...i new where ther was a few scrapped...they also came wit a rev counter and colour coded mirrors which i have fitted into my own kadett now, a kadett fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

used to be one drivin around limerick. not seen it in a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I remember those editions too.

There's a 1991 Kadett HB for sale on www.carzone.ie ....silver and last of old model... not a world cup edition i dont think..

• Advertisement

Rang to buy that silver one and it had just sold 20 mins earlier. was disgusted as it was a very clean car, rare these days

There was an '86 Kadett for sale for ages on Carzone, seems to be gone now though. Nice cars I always thought, although I heard they were bland to drive.

U shud have a go in a 2 litre 16valve 150bhp GTE one....not very bland believe me...pretty scary really when they r on full song....light car for tat kinda power but fun :D

jessie37 wrote: »
    U shud have a go in a 2 litre 16valve 150bhp GTE one....not very bland believe me...pretty scary really when they r on full song....light car for tat kinda power but fun :D

There is a Astra Mk1 GTE on Carzone, very rare cars now.

Yea fairly rare now alrite , a friend of mine bought one bout 6 months ago...needs a bit of work as the rust is getting to it......rust is ther is biggest killer...

• Advertisement

Yea fairly rare now alrite , a friend of mine bought one bout 6 months ago...needs a bit of work as the rust is getting to it......rust is ther is biggest killer...

Very true, there were great cars though apart from the crap metal they were made from, from a few people I knew who had them, they were very reliable.

I have an 89 GTE with the 2litre turbo calibra engine conversion, full connolly leather too, definatly a car to knock your socks off with!!it makes me laugh when i compare it to the standard one litre cars!Needs a bit of work doing now though.

Is that car white by any chance? think i no tat car if it is, Im building a turbo one myself...

Is that car white by any chance? think i no tat car if it is, Im building a turbo one myself...
    Yes, its a white one, still on english plates. I agree about the crappy steel, everyone ive ever seen has had its arches done at the least!

I was thinking that was the one alright because there isnt too many GTE's around..definitely not turbo ones anyway...I seen it when it was up for sale...they are grand out once you take care of the rust..all the older cars are the same anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

their used to be a white opel ascona 4 door in ashford co wicklow for a while a few years ago, a world cup edition

manta mad wrote: »
    their used to be a white opel ascona 4 door in ashford co wicklow for a while a few years ago, a world cup edition

Wouldn't it not have been a Vectra A, since they came out in 1988?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

There was an Ascona Cup, a factory model but it was 1986 !

I worked for Opel at the time and the 1990 "Cup" models featured tinted glass, rpm counter, cig. lighter, headrests, 3 spoke "GSI" steering wheel, nicer seat fabric, bodycolour mirrors and "football" hub caps. They were nice little cars at the time !

I doubt you would be able to find build figures, or find out how many are left, due to the fact that the chassis number sequence wasn't altered, so all the "options" were available individually at the time and simply added during production.

MercMad wrote: »

I the 1990 "Cup" models featured tinted glass, rpm counter, cig. lighter, headrests, 3 spoke "GSI" steering wheel, nicer seat fabric, bodycolour mirrors and "football" hub caps. They were nice little cars at the time !
    Not bad for the time i suppose,compared to standard!!! Theres surely someone somewhere looking after one:)

Not bad for the time i suppose,compared to standard!!! Theres surely someone somewhere looking after one:)

.....yeah its funny, about 2 years after the Corsa was introduced to the Irish market they had to de-spec it to get it price competitive, hence the Corsa City, where they took out the headrests, lighter, console, rub strips, hub caps and even radios ( later added back in).

I havent seen a Cup for years though I owned a similarly specced one in 1989

I then bought a 1.4GT and then a 1.6GSI.

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    .....yeah its funny, about 2 years after the Corsa was introduced to the Irish market they had to de-spec it to get it price competitive, hence the Corsa City, where they took out the headrests, lighter, console, rub strips, hub caps and even radios
    Typical of this country, thats why so much stuff was imported in the 90s from england, there was loads of vectras and cavaliers imported here!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn't "Know Your Sport" give away Corsa Cup models at one stage!

To be fair, back then Opel wass considered very Irish, mainly because Vauxhalls were considered English, and Opel sponsored the football team.

Thats very true colm, id agree that opel were definatly the most wannabe irish of all the makes then,and they really played it up to sell the cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

On a similar note, have any Fiat Panda Italia 90's survived? , white with the 'Football' hubcaps.

Blue850 wrote: »
    On a similar note, have any Fiat Panda Italia 90's survived? , white with the 'Football' hubcaps.

.....there's on in Malahide, hasn't moved in years though !

Any photos of them? Iv never heard of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr Lahey

I remember the ad on tv for the corsa and kadett cup with jack charlton. At the end of the ad he said "lets bring home a cup together", well he didn't fulfil his end of the deal thanks to toto schillaci.

surely someone somewhere has that on an add break on some long forgotten programme on VHS somewhere....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

manta mad wrote: »

I was in Ashford last week... and saw a white Ascona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭supersaint3

Sorry for re-animating a zombie thread here but I'm searching for a photo of a 1990 kadett cup as my father had one back in the day and I want to make a card out of it or something as I still can't believe he ever had one he isn't the type :D it was garish now, white with a tricolour trim tape along the lower flanks and stickers with a football with cup emblazoned on it on the doors :D:D:D they were a true shocker he must have got it cheap... So a photo anyone ?!?

Advertisement