Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 - Cashel to Mitchelstown

• 16-02-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Ok Cashel to Cahir opened last October. The whole scheme officially is due to be finished in Q3 2008.

Now given the early opening of just about everything thesedays (due to speed or ludicrously long timescales), how close in reality is Mitchelstown - Cahir from opening?

ie: How long till the whole scheme is complete? Anyone in the area got more infos on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

some way off...no road markings in places yet and connecting spur to N7 still being built....

oh and work on the Mitchelstown to Fermoy section has started btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thx. What do you mean by the connecting spur to the N7 BTW? Thats one hell of a spur :D

it will be the route to mallow eveNTUALLY i IMAGINE BUT INITIALLY WILL BE THE SOUTHERN END OF THE NEW ROAD WHILST THE SECTION TO fERMOY IS BEING BUILT....oops sorry to shout...:)

Theyve recently started work at the point it comes out on to the old road...this has meant closure of the climbing lane....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Thx. What do you mean by the connecting spur to the N7 BTW? Thats one hell of a spur :D

Presumably the OP is referring to the under-construction M8 Portlaoise-Culahill project (joint project with M7 Portlaoise-Castletown). Even then, there's the whole 40km or so Culahill-Cashel project in between that and Cashel-Mitchelstown...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Ok Cashel to Cahir opened last October. The whole scheme officially is due to be finished in Q3 2008.

Now given the early opening of just about everything thesedays (due to speed or ludicrously long timescales), how close in reality is Mitchelstown - Cahir from opening?

ie: How long till the whole scheme is complete? Anyone in the area got more infos on this?

I remember reading on the NRA's website sometime back that it was Q2 2009 that this was supposed to be done, so I'd say this road will indeed be done according to what they are saying now(the having it done earlier has been taken account for now by the NRA evidently).

sorry n8 i meant obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It may actually be the M8 Cashel to Mitchelstown with this new motorway order stuff :)

I remember 2009 being the original completion timeframe as well according to the NRA site. Good news on it being brought forward to Q3 2008, that's not too far away. I wonder will they open the section between the current end point and the Kilcoran Lodge before then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Stark wrote: »
    It may actually be the M8 Cashel to Mitchelstown with this new motorway order stuff :)

Almost certainly will be. I can't imagine that they would build a brand new HQDC section to link two sections of motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

motorway all the way from dublin to cork... i feel old

i can remember the motorway ending at naas

[/nostalgia]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I dont really understand why the did all that big job with the mitchelstown ring road (for the fermoy bypass) and now there gonna make a motorway bypassing it, why did they build both

there is other traffic other than Cork to Dublin inolved...ie the N72 to Mallow/Killarney and the R road via Ballylanders which is quite busy with Cork to Tipperary traffic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

There are various towns which have been bypassed by an interurban yet still could do with a relief road or indeed do have one. E.g. Portlaoise (still has a national road, N80, going through centre of town) and Nenagh (has a relief road for the N52 as well as the N7 bypass).

It is just as well Mitchelstown has the relief road on the north and western sides as the N73 and R513 have a fair bit of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

[/nostalgia]

That's nothing - I can remember the dualler ending at the Dublin side of Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It still does!

[/nostalgia]

Not quite, it will be motorway all the way from Watergrasshill to the end of the Naas bypass.

Hopefully the government will see sense and chance Glanmire to Watergrasshill to Motorway too. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Its not that bendy either. Though you'd have to end the motorway a few hundred metres before the Dunkettle roundabout due to local traffic not having a sane alternative.

Stick a 100kmh limit on it if its bad, I cant understand why they arent motorwaying this bit too :(

Chris, the Glanmire to Watergrasshill section is even better than the Fermoy bypass in my mind.

Dunkettle to the top of Glanmire is a bit twisty although as you say, Motorway with a 100 kph limit would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I work on that site, summer and weekends and from Cahir to well beyond Skeheenarinky is tarred, not marked yet. The end of that site is just the Mitchelstown of Kilbehenny, that section is still just haul road, i.e. just compacted 804 with no tar, bridgeworks still ongoing too.

The Mitchelstown site is beyond this and the big dig started there around 3 months ago AFAIK. As for completion date, I don't know but the fact they are going across the valley at Gloccamaura will probably slow things up a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

[/nostalgia]

Its funny, you drive from Dublin to Naas on a 3 lane highway, but it doesn't become a motorway until it gets narrower! Ah Ireland :)

• Advertisement

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Chris, the Glanmire to Watergrasshill section is even better than the Fermoy bypass in my mind.

Dunkettle to the top of Glanmire is a bit twisty although as you say, Motorway with a 100 kph limit would be ideal.

Haha yeah I agree. You come along the new style narrow median, narrow lane, jersey barrier 120kmh Fermoy bypass, then come to the wide median, wider lane, hedge barrier Watergrasshill bypass and the speed limit drops to 100!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Haha yeah I agree. You come along the new style narrow median, narrow lane, jersey barrier 120kmh Fermoy bypass, then come to the wide median, wider lane, hedge barrier Watergrasshill bypass and the speed limit drops to 100!!

How come that road got called a Motorway, it seems very narrow compared to the N8 before the Motorway? It seems as narrow as the Cashel bypass(which is also due to be upgraded to Motorway, even though I remember seeing on the NRA's website that it is in fact a standard Dual Carriageway).

Will the rest of the road to Dublin due to be done be as narrow as the Fermoy bypass or will it be as wide as the road from Dunketttle-Fermoy bypass and the Port Laoise- Naas Motorway?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Fermoy bypass is not actually narrower than normal for a motorway. Its' full motorway standard as far as the carriageways/road space/design speed is concerned. What is different compared to previous motorways is the median, there is only a crash barrier instead of a wide grass median as previously used. That's why it feels narrower. It is held to be a lot safer than the grass median. Many motorways throughout Europe use only barriers (usually steel rather than concrete in other countries though).

Most of the new motorways/HQDCs will only have narrow medians like this, the N6 Kinnegad-Kilbeggan is the same and (although its not strictly HQDC) the Gorey bypass.Wide medians will now only be used where it is necessary to future proof easy upgrade to D3M (ie near cities).

The Cashel Bypass is indeed only standard DC, as will the Nenagh bypass be once its retrofit. None theless motorway regulations are to apply to both if the orders under the Roads Act 2007 are met. It makes sense as they will only be short streches of standard DC in the middle of HQDCs and unlike Athlone/Mullingar bypasses and the N11/N18 there are no LILOs, private accesses, junctions nearly on top of each other, or any other difficulties that would stop them being motorways. I imagine a 100km/h will remain on both though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

mackerski wrote: »
    That's nothing - I can remember the dualler ending at the Dublin side of Naas.

sisi, that's what i meant...

as much as these new roads are fast, i can't say i won't miss driving from town to town

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The barriers are safer than the grass medians? I sure wouldnt like to hit the wall on the fermoy bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

With the grass median you can cross over into the other carriageway and end up in a head on collision with a car/truck doing 80-120km/hr. The concrete barrier helps contain the carnage to one carriageway and helps avoid head on collisions.

Difference is you'd bit the wall at a fairly small angle (giving you an effective sideways 'hitting speed' of 10-20mph) and slide along it, slowing down as you go.

You'll go through a hedge and smack into oncoming traffic.

I'd rather hit the wall.

Stark wrote: »
    With the grass median you can cross over into the other carriageway and end up in a head on collision with a car/truck doing 80-120km/hr. The concrete barrier helps contain the carnage to one carriageway and helps avoid head on collisions.

Haven't all grass medians been retrofitted with torsioned wire ? Not saying that is much safer than concrete barrier or anything.

That wire sucks, especially if you're on a motorbike. Wouldnt like to hit it in a car either, the car will get ripped to bits.

Walls ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Its funny, you drive from Dublin to Naas on a 3 lane highway, but it doesn't become a motorway until it gets narrower! Ah Ireland :)

just cause the naas road is 3 lanes doesn't for one second mean it should be a motorway just because its motorway further down..

God what a stupid point.

Advertisement