Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Account - Setting One Up

• 31-01-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm intending on setting up an online betting account, but i'm not sure who to go with. Iwon't be betting huge money, can't afford it!! But I'm looking to make a few bob, mainly on sport. I'm not a big horse racing fan, I prefer soccer, rigby, boxing, motorsport and a lot of the american sports so anyone i would go with, I'd like to be able to bet on them. I checked paddy power and ladbrokes, but they don't have a book on NCAA Basketball in thd States, which I'm a big fan of. It wouldn't be a complete must, but it would be nice to lay a few quid on that. I'm also wondering is there anywhere that you would find promo codes for free bets etc., if you know what I mean.

Any help would be appreciated, and apologies for crashing the board as a Newbie.

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've found the best sites are Betfair & Paddypower..

Betfair has the biggest range of markets ( which i would use), they give you the option to bet or lay(against an outcome) which is great.. Minimum bet is €4 which is a bit of a pain in the ass for small gamblers

paddypower do great promos, special bets & fun bets, and they have a min bet of .10/.20 cents, depending on market & bet type..

Paddypower have a €20 sign up bonus offer(free bet, keep the winnings not the stake), and betfair have €25 free bet...

There is a good list of sign up offers on this page;
    http://www.nrbet.com/bookmakerssignupoffers.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

cheers man. on the way out now so i'll look into that later but thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well I like Betfair in the sense that you can both bet and lay. Also, Betdaq, these are known as bet exchanges. The only thing about Betfair is that the minimum bet is €4. I don't know if you would consider this "small" or not.

For betfair, use BTE111 as the promotion code.

Other than that there are tonnes of bookies to try, give them all a look and see which one suits.

http://oddsandbets.com/bookmaker_list.html

Remember, you probably won't make money long-term by betting. A tiny % do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Never mind Paddy Power. His odds are usually crap and his so called specials are not what they used to be. Boyles have better specials.
    Betfair will give you best available price almost always. Its an easy choice really.
    And even if you are betting small, it's very easy to bet lower than their €4 minimum.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

cheers guys. i'll take a look at the bookies etc. it's just i wasn't sure what to do as regards who has the best online facilities. and i'm not looking at horse racing at all, and most of them are geared to that.

would i be best going with an exchange??

and thanks for the warning MrJoeSoap, but this is only a small scale thing so i'll go into it that way. i fancy myself knowing my sport, but if proven wrong i don't intend to get burnt.

Betfair is your best bet... They do a huge selection of football, rugby & other sports, and the inplay markets are very good.. & as forky said. Much better odds than most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You are definitely best starting off with Betfair or BetDaq. Have a look around both of them and see which one suits your needs best. If you aren't used to decimal odds it would be good to get used to them first as well. Basically you just take away 1 and put the result over one.

So if the odds are 2.5, then you take away 1 and get 1.5, and put that over one. 1.5/1 is the same as 3/2.

Thats only if you are used to conventional bookies odds and want to convert though.

i'm cool with the decimal odds. that's no big deal at all.

just took the quickest of looks around betdaq and betfair there, think i'll go with betfair as it seems to have more markets, plus there's the promo code that mrjoesoap passed on as well. i'll set it up soon, hopefully tonight.... unless someone has any reason that i shouldn't.

thanks for the responses guys.

If you want to test the water before you spend any money - there is a site run by BF called playbetfair... It's litrally play befair!

You get 1000 BF dollars and you can bet them as you wish. There is not many markets (usually just English prem). The markets come live about a day before the actual game..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Em,....... tell you what i would do,........ join up with 2 bookie's. clean them both for the "sign-up bonus" and then you got a nice start.

I'd be thinking of both Boil-sports and Victorchandl'rs ......
    both of which will offer hefty bonus's !!
    boyles are giving 50 euro back for your first 50euro bet !
    Vc's will do roughly the same ,....... only you got to back something equal to or higher than evens (2.00) to qualify for the bonus.
    with boyle's you can pick the heavy favourite.

Choose a 2-way sport like tennis or snooker etc. where there is no possibility of a draw ! cancel each bet off aginst the other !!

good-luck,...

good advice odd job.

i went with betfair. made my lodgement and thanks to the wales game today in particular i've had myself a tidy weekend so far. only small change but it was a bright start.... probably the most dangerous kind, eh!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You might have a grievance with Ladbrokes but do you have to restart a thread from 2008 to do it?

Advertisement