Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    they are in an eircom branded box but will work with any DSL provider (apart from magnet and smart) if you simply change the username and password in the expert>connection tab to whatever you want . they could work with smart if more settings were changed

its a netopia 2247 , good piece of kit for €24.99, if asked for a phone number give them an 01701xxxx number

Do they have a built in firewall?

Thansks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi guys, can somebody confirm if this would work with NTL? I know it may have been asked already ... but theres 16 pages to look through :s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the list of operators with whom it WILL work is on page 15 :)

Thanks SB.

So that answer is no. Anybody know a similar cheap option for NTL? ( I know its not on topic, but theres a lot of knowledge floating around about wireless on this thread and somebody may have the answer)

Thanks GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

GBX wrote: »
    Hi guys, can somebody confirm if this would work with NTL? I know it may have been asked already ... but theres 16 pages to look through :s

Depends on what you mean by work.

If all you need is a wireless access point, it will work with* the cable modem/router/box NTL gave you.

If you want to use it to replace an existing modem/router/box, then it won't work with NTL.

* means you connect it to the modem/router/box NTL gave you & the Netopia allows your laptop wirelessly connect to the internet. It's not working as a router, just as an access point.

• Advertisement

Gerryo id be looking to use it with the NTL box I have here and to allow for internet for both a pc (using a wireless usb adapater) and a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DaithiM

I,m trying to buy one of these Eircom ASDL modems both I keep getting asked for a name and a telephone no. I have tried the 01701...no. already ,no joy anybody got a generic no. or name that I can use. I have tried both Curry and PCWorld ,same thing in both. They ask for your name and landline no. .Does this check a database with eircom or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Interested also does any one know

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DaithiM wrote: »
    I,m trying to buy one of these Eircom ASDL modems both I keep getting asked for a name and a telephone no. I have tried the 01701...no. already ,no joy anybody got a generic no. or name that I can use.
    (01)6714444

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Cool whos number is that?

Are these still available? I was going to purchase one on dabs.ie for around 70 quid but if this is available ill take it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

They ask for your name and landline no. .Does this check a database with eircom or something?

After they check the line they send your details to Eircom. All Eircom needs is the phone number, from that they determine the account, and they just add the €25 per month to your bill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I,m trying to buy one of these Eircom ASDL modems both I keep getting asked for a name and a telephone no. I have tried the 01701
    many/most numbers whose second digit is a 0 are digital lines / DDI ranges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DaithiM

Thanks for the info on that, I managed to blag one before they realised I didn't have an account.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they are not as easy to get as they were, god be with the days when you could fill a trolley in Currys with them....although the lads in the eircom vans with "eircom broadband" logos will sell you as many as you want for €25 each......ca$h only :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    they are not as easy to get as they were, god be with the days when you could fill a trolley in Currys with them....although the lads in the eircom vans with "eircom broadband" logos will sell you as many as you want for €25 each......ca$h only :cool:

How sweet it is...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ocdavia

hi can somebody help me please,

I blagged an eircom starter pack lately and i'm attemping to use the router with my bt broadband. As i was a little over keen I changed the initial eircom password and now I can't get the router to work. Does anybody know the eircom username and password and how i change it back to get this thing on the road,

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ocdavia

Ah just ignore me. I eh pressed the reset button, started again and everything is now going swimmingly. Thanks for the tips Sponge Bob!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

if i give a valid name and number of somebody thats already got eircom bb .. will they still get charged extra every month ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alias123

I've just got one from pc world (bit of struggle) ,i'm using bt - does anyone know if i can use the eircom installation for the router or should i go to netopia web site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Straight to the eircom website and enter your ISP log on details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alias123

are you sure? i dont want to switch to eircom , i want to stay with bt - but i need to know how to install the router as a device with out subscribing to eircom. does that make sense ?:confused: ah its all clearer now - for anyone in the same boat - it is fairly easy to set up . i had forgotten my password ,so had to ring bt support. they were very good in helping to set it all up - had to restart pc before it would work properly. bt got me to enter username and password ,then set the ip and dns numbers to detect automatically - hopefully might help someone else !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone else get a faulty one of these? I bought one for my parents last year and it constantly disconnecting. Tried it in my house and it is the same.

Wonder if pc world would replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Brianb8802

Yep mine is a bit mad too. If its on for more than 24hrs at a time it loses wireless, and only works if your turn it off for about 10 minutes. Friend has one another one with the same problem. I just have to turn it off every night

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Where can I find one of these routers ?
    I was in PC World in Carrickmines - none on the shelves - asked one of the assistants and he said they dont stock Netopia.

Has anyone spotted them elsewhere for a reasonable price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I got one of these on a "sale or return basis" (ie if I cant get it to work I can give it back) from my brother who isn't using it on his eircom broadband. Brand new in box. What I want to do is to use it as a wireless access point with my PermaNet Cable broadband connection. The signal comes in on a cable which screws into the back of the PermaNet cable mac modem and I've taken the signal to the Netopia Gateway on an Ethernet cable so far so good. There are 3 more Ethernet ports available on the back of my Netopia. I'm using one to connect my Mac on OS X no problems there either. Where I run into trouble is with my Dell XPS M1530 which has an N Mimo card installed (which picks up the slightest signal and connects automatically normally).

I want to connect the laptop wirelessly. The signal is excellent but wont connect to the internet because it says the connection is "limited". I'm baffled. It works perfectly through the Ethernet just not wirelessly. Do I need something like a wireless bridge? I have zero networking experience and am on a really steep learning curve here. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, my brother doesnt know how much the Netopia is worth. How much should I give him for it "when" I get it working ...(I dont want to shaft him on this!! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Julez

I'm on eircom anyway, just called up and they said it'd be like €99 for one. Are these still going for €25, if so what pc worlds have them? Do currys do it too? I looked through the last few pages and couldn't see any definite answers, like 16 pages is a bit much to go through.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Julez wrote: »
    I'm on eircom anyway, just called up and they said it'd be like €99 for one. Are these still going for €25, if so what pc worlds have them? Do currys do it too? I looked through the last few pages and couldn't see any definite answers, like 16 pages is a bit much to go through.
    Thanks

Pop down to your nearest PC World and see if there's any in stock

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Yep mine is a bit mad too. If its on for more than 24hrs at a time it loses wireless, and only works if your turn it off for about 10 minutes. Friend has one another one with the same problem. I just have to turn it off every night
    might be overheating

or get a timer switch so it's off for 15 minutes at 5am or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think this thread has run its course, any support questions for the router, please go to one of the forums under Tech or Bargain Alerts [Requests] if you are still looking for one. Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement