Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tribune Year Ender Mind Bender Sports Xword 2007

• 10-01-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6 98ford

White peg in a multi-racial hole?
    4 letters _A_E

Any Ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 98ford

Thanks.Appreciate the reply.
    I kinda thought that but wanted to see what others thought
    I see Pale relating to White & peg but whats with the multi-racial hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

i put in "jake" as in jake white the former springboks coach who was in trouble about quotas and stuff in the rugby team...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Boden08

I went with Jake...reckon it's right. One that I'm stuck on is "Fleet dashes down the wing, or throws by heavier sportsmen?" (7) I have D_R_o_G, but had NDO for the one down and maybe that's my problem
    help!
    Will return favour if any others needed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭samsausage

darting??

• Advertisement

Thanks Sam,
    So instead of that being my last one, I now need the name of a Ghanaian who was to be the next big thing when he emerged to 1990, but never played in more than 36 games for any of his 14 pro clubs including Coventry and Aston Villa ( 3) N_I ...!!! I had Ndo, but that's obviously wrong!

nii

samsausage wrote: »
    nii
    Cheers!
    That's a bit obscure - I was looking for a surname, and I'm old enough to remember Lamptey.
    That's me done I think..you sorted?

still not sure about what to put for 73 across
    is 43 across HILLS?
    also 35 down SCHON seems accepted spelling but had to add an "E" to fit

still not sure about what to put for 73 across
    is 43 across HILLS?
    also 35 down SCHON seems accepted spelling but had to add an "E" to fit

73 across: Jake seems right to me
    43 across is Hills
    35 down is spelt Schoen...think there was those two dots on the o if I remember!

• Advertisement

Yeah gonna go with schoen even though most places seems to spell it other way. still not convinced yet re jake. how recent that story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah gonna go with schoen even though most places seems to spell it other way. still not convinced yet re jake. how recent that story

the jake white story was very much an ongoing thing throughout his tenure as SA coach. if he picked black players it was said he only did it cos they were black and the same was said if he didnt pick em! and with SA and jake white winning the world cup, the story is very current...

EDIT: I put in schoen with the "e", a little unsatisfactory but i put it down to the presence of the dots on the "o" everywhere i looked...

ok, sounds good, thanks for that

The "2 dots" over the vowels in Germanic names and words is called an Umlaut. In cases where it's impossible to put the umlaut in (e.g. most typewriters) the generally accepted way of spelling is to put the letter e after the vowel in question because that's essentially what an umlaut does.

Thus Schőn becomes Schoen. Hässler becomes Haessler etc.

Advertisement