Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City and TV Licence

• 20-12-2007 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

My mother just told me that Francis in Fair City has no TV licence and that some guy working behind the bar in some pub is a TV licence inspector. Is this true? Could this possibly be the worst storyline of all time? I hope my mother is messing! (Haven't seen the show in a long time so that's why my information is a bit vague!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ha ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ok, my mother also tells me that they are taking gullible out of the dictionary. Turns out those two people just acted in tv licence ads. Yes, I have been mocked for believing her (in fairness, I did question it, but it is Fair City!), but yes, I do expect some more slagging!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

It's Frances not Francis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Explain why perhaps, incase she never realised it..

'e' for a female.
    'i' for a male

It's Frances not Francis.
    Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Explain why perhaps, incase she never realised it..

'e' for a female.
    'i' for a male

You learn something new every day! As you can see from my original post, I'm a tiny bit slow sometimes!

Let's just call everyone Fran and leave it at that!

• Advertisement

See Rita is leaving Fair City. Character being written out this week.

No loss. She's an ignorant pig and so is the actress that plays her.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I Dont Know How The "actor"(should Be Charged Under The Trade Desciptions Act) Who Attempts To Play Charlie "chaz" Kelly Has The Neck To Collect His Wages From Rte He Is Without Doubt The Worst "actor" I Have Ever Had The Misfortune To View On My Television Screen
    A Total Disgrace To The Acting Profession

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

Apart from all those comments, I still think that Fair City is the best soap on TV. I think it has the most original storylines.

Well I love it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Both actors are better in the TV Licence Adds.

Now this would be a good story line: -

Frances ran away from the convent because she didn't pay the licence fee, the guy behind the bar is an undercover TV licence agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

and didnt i see Darren Doyle moping up someones puke from a shop front on an ad recently too..?? and the old Farah is on some bupa ad or something like it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

and didnt i see Darren Doyle moping up someones puke from a shop front on an ad recently too..?? and the old Farah is on some bupa ad or something like it..

It's the Drink Aware add darren is in.

The Old Farah (or the older older Farah?????) is in a VHI add.

You woman from Ireland AM is also in that VHI add, she annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fingalgal

I Dont Know How The "actor"(should Be Charged Under The Trade Desciptions Act) Who Attempts To Play Charlie "chaz" Kelly Has The Neck To Collect His Wages From Rte He Is Without Doubt The Worst "actor" I Have Ever Had The Misfortune To View On My Television Screen
    A Total Disgrace To The Acting Profession

No that accolade would have to be reserved for your man Jimmy. Have you seen those scenes with him and Ali. Talk about stilted, and they are supposed to be having an affair. The story lines are good. It's just a shame the acting is not better.

Jimmy is a joke, actor looks like Gary Kelly.
    Ali is semen though.

Wish Rita would go instead of lingering on in hospital. What a obnoxious, hateful cow.

Fingalgal wrote: »
    No that accolade would have to be reserved for your man Jimmy. Have you seen those scenes with him and Ali. Talk about stilted, and they are supposed to be having an affair. The story lines are good. It's just a shame the acting is not better.

He's pretty wooden in the scenes with Ali. I just find the whole thing hilarious, especially the way that he sat on his phone and rang Robin by mistake and then suddenly he was talking really loudly. What's happened since then, by the way? I've missed it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Jimmy eehhh Doyle eehhh

janeybabe wrote: »
    He's pretty wooden in the scenes with Ali. I just find the whole thing hilarious, especially the way that he sat on his phone and rang Robin by mistake and then suddenly he was talking really loudly. What's happened since then, by the way? I've missed it I think.

Robin confronted Jimmy. He admits the affair. Acts all cold (well his attempt at it). Tells Robin he is in love with Ali. etc.

Ken & Deirdre's baby died. That was a bit disturbing BTW.

Shame the Sunday omnibus is not on anymore though for the catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I love the way Jimmy tries too hard to pronounce all his words correctly while at the same time being over dramtic to the point of ridiculousness.

Is it just me or does anyone else keep expecting him to same something like
    "Frankly Robin, I just, eh, don't give a damn".

Is it just me or does anyone else keep expecting him to same something like
    "Frankly Robin, I just, eh, don't give a damn".

No, they saved that line the other night fo Bob to Renee. They'll have to think up a new one for Jimmy.

I love the way that Jimmy's idea of acting all cold towards Robin involves him looking into space....constantly. I don't think he's looked at the woman in weeks!

Fingalgal wrote: »
    No, they saved that line the other night fo Bob to Renee. They'll have to think up a new one for Jimmy.

Tell me your joking?

I never watched Fair City until after I'd heard them doing it on Gift Grub,
    it's so bad it's good if you know what I mean.
    Mario Rosenstock's probably doubled the Fair City viewership.

• Advertisement

Tell me your joking?

Seriously, it was actually the funniest thing! It was so corny and he didn't pull it off.

Seriously, it was actually the funniest thing! It was so corny and he didn't pull it off.

I'd pay to see that.

So, what about this line for Jimmy then...
    "Ali, of all the bars in all the towns in all the world, you had to walk into, eh, McCoys".

This reminds me, there was a brilliant Gift Grub a few years ago where Bertie does a cameo in Fair City, has anyone got it, it could never find it anywhere...

I'd pay to see that.

So, what about this line for Jimmy then...
    "Ali, of all the bars in all the towns in all the world, you had to walk into, eh, McCoys".

They can't go to McCoys, they'll be lynched! They have to go to the other one for free drink from Carol.

But also, classic line, someone tell the writers.

This reminds me, there was a brilliant Gift Grub a few years ago where Bertie does a cameo in Fair City, has anyone got it, it could never find it anywhere...

Jimmys brother then?? Eh I don't see why this is up for discussion now Robin, Eh I can't remember where I was the other night but eh sure we'll take a holiday to get away from it all.

But also, classic line, someone tell the writers.
    They'd most likely use it.

What ever happened to that painter who looked like Charles Bronsan?
    "Dolores, I've got a paintin job on in, uh, Waterford, I'll be back in 6 months"...

What was all that about?
    You'd swear he was off to join the foreign legion...
    He's come back for a while and then disappear for another 6 months to
    'Donegal' or some other exotic and far away place...

They'd most likely use it.

What ever happened to that painter who looked like Charles Bronsan?
    "Dolores, I've got a paintin job on in, uh, Waterford, I'll be back in 6 months"...

What was all that about?
    You'd swear he was off to join the foreign legion...
    He's come back for a while and then disappear for another 6 months to
    'Donegal' or some other exotic and far away place...

Better question: Why is Dolores still in it, and why is that old one who lives with her and who is apparently a renowned actor still in it? Maybe bad acting is contagious?

Better question: Why is Dolores still in it, and why is that old one who lives with her and who is apparently a renowned actor still in it? Maybe bad acting is contagious?

Fair enough most of the actors / actresses are brutal but the thing about shows like that is, even if an actor is good they get dragged down by the show. The writing is just so bad.

Take yer man from Eastenders who plays the cop.
    He comes across as a terrible actor in Fair City but in Eastenders he was way better.

I saw it the other night when he made some half arsed raid on a drug dealers house.
    He arrived on his own with no backup,
    he didn't have a warrant and
    he rang the doorbell and annouced himself to the drug dealer.

Even better was the drug dealer who wasted a few minutes,
    then let the cop in without even making an attempt to
    flush the drugs down the toilet.
    Then he let the cop in without a warrant and went and got the drugs and gave them to the cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

and why is that old one who lives with her and who is apparently a renowned actor still in it?

That wan has the biggest ears in all of Carrickstown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CareBear99

Oh no does poor rita die? i havent seen it for a few days! i love watchin fair city to laugh at the ridiculously bad acting! Just like home and away because its sooo unrealistic! I find ali very annoying on fair city though aswell as jo and dermot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    That wan has the biggest ears in all of Carrickstown!

Biggest ears in the whole world! They're freakish!

Advertisement