Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VAT Question

Options
  • 20-12-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

Need help. this is my first post ere so hello everyone!

My problem relates to vat. I own a retail business in southern ireland and buy goods from northern Ireland. The goods are priced VAT free when i buy them.I then apply my mark up. When i sell them will i have to 21% of the retail price to the revenue at the end of tax year?

I'm confused!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

what are you selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulfluke

Cars parts and accessories,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

paulfluke wrote: »
    Cars parts and accessories,

Then yes, your customers will have to pay you VAT and you'll pass it over to the Revenue. You are only the middle man. If your customers are businesses they'll do the same. If your customers are end users they bare the burden of the 21%.

As you've received the goods from NI VAT free I'm assuming you're set up with a VAT registration number from the Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

Yep, you buy the goods tax free as they're imports from an eu country. Then add your margin and finally add 21% VAT to get your retail sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulfluke

thanks, gotta change my supplier so . when i add the vat and mark up to the Vat free items from N.I the prices are not competitive compared to an Irish supplier with vat included.

• Advertisement
Advertisement