Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acca

Options
  • 21-11-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭

Im only in 5th year in school and am really intersted in doing Accountancy after school.

Does anyone on here no what course in what college/university offers the most exemptions to the ACCA Course?

Cheers,
    Anto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I did accounting and finance in DCU and this is one of the better courses for exemptions.
    I don't do ACCA so I don't know exactly what exemptions you get. It is a tough course and you need to put the work in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Well what other courses other that the ACCA can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Generally the IT's are the best colleges to go to to get acca exemptions - having an accountancy degree from any of the IT's generally gets you exemptions up to finals

The NUI universities seem to be more interesed in ACA and preparing students for these

People who went to UL seems to get a lot of exemptions from CIMA, presume same for acca but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

what course in what college/university offers the most exemptions to the ACCA Course?

The ACCA website (see link below) has a very good database of all 3rd level courses in ireland that offer exemptions.

http://www.accaglobal.com/students/study_exams/exemptions

One thing I will say though, sometimes getting a ton of exemptions can be a bad thing! It means that the very first ACCA exam you do will be of an intermediate to advanced stage. One of my friends got 5 exemptions, started his first paper at 2.3 (taxation) and failed!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

Climber wrote: »
    One thing I will say though, sometimes getting a ton of exemptions can be a bad thing! It means that the very first ACCA exam you do will be of an intermediate to advanced stage. One of my friends got 5 exemptions, started his first paper at 2.3 (taxation) and failed!.

thats a very interesting point. id say there is quite a jump up from college exams to acca exams.from from ive seen here before,they're much harder for reasons such as they are longer, ur lecturers dont have much of an input into the exam questions so they cant give much hints and u need 50% to pass.are these correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

hi lads
    to the best of my knowledge the colleges that get the most exemptions from acca are
    Athlone It
    Carlow IT
    Dundalk IT
    Waterford IT
    as was mentioned above the universities are more interested in aca and as such dont get as many exemptions.
    The list above is not exhaustive and I'd be surprised if there weren't more than those stated above, also i think the course in Athlone is 4 years whilst DKIT and Carlow are 3. i'm not sure about WIT.
    And yes the jump from college exams to professional exams is HUGE!!
    Totally different set-up, plus you're likely to be working and studying which is serious pressure...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

did Bcomm myself (3 yrs) and then a masters in accountancy (sponsored by my training firm). Only had to do the FAEs once I started working. Same exemptions if you do Acc and finance and a masters in DCU. if you don't do the Masters you wll have two sets of exams (prof 3 and FAEs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Dundalk IT work closely with ACCA, and the ACCA are very generous with the exemptions, I went to DKIT and grad in 04. I was exempt from old Prof 1 + 2, so I only had to the two optional papers and final three exams.

I done tax in Dec 04 and passed, Auditing in June 05, and failed, done all three complusory papers + auditing and passed.

I would take back the comment about getting good exemptions as a bad thing - not all the time, the exams we took in DKIT where very much based on ACCA papers, like I said before that DKIT worked closely with the ACCA. I found the Prof 3 Tax paper to be pretty easy because it was very similiar to the Tax Exam of my finals.

Another point about getting the most exemptions you can is, the travelling in the evenings to Dublin from Monaghan after work. I done it for a year and half and I wasnt going to do it again. Leave work at 4pm, in Dublin for 6pm, classed rang to 10-10.30pm, home around 11.30pm - 12am. Back up at 7am the next morning.

Its ok if you break your exams up, but for the finals I was in Dublin 5 times a week.

Advertisement