Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the boards.ie photography exhibition wild plan I had

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

well this is exciting enough to finally overcome my flicker aversion and actually get myself an account ;)

Now what to pick........ have one in mind, but need a better scanner for A3 size prints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭bigeoino

Good idea ... just joined the group ... may be an idea to invite known flickr boardsies to join through flickr ...
    thanks for the invite....
    now all I have to do is choose ONE picture....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Joined on to select a print. I have the perfect one in mind pity I don't have it scanned.

The idea of selling was just that if anyone (member of the public or other) was interested in buying your prints you could sell them if you wanted.

I'd be charging cost of print+cost of Frame+20%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

With regard to standardisation, I wouldn't be keen at all at all. From the viewers perspective the exhibition would lose. A good exhibition plays with the mind of the viewer not just in relation to the content of the photos but as a walk around experience. A good mix of very small to very large makes the whole thing more exciting and eclectic. Psychologically as much as anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Thirdfox wrote: »
    you should see the pic I entered into the Times photo comp

With a bit of luck we will, on Saturday week ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think it would be a good idea to put a cap on the size of the prints maybe nothing bigger than Billboard size.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Hi Calina,

Initially I thought the idea of a theme was good but then after reading your thoughts have changed my mind. Doing a lot of work withthe local LGBT group, anything that might exclude people isnt a good idea, so out withthe themes. The more diverse the people that take part and the more diverse the pistures are, all the better. Seeing something totally different is, IMHO, always good and can sometimes challange us to try something different ourselves.

As for an exhibition, I have some experience in the last couple of years and some handy contacts (in Dublin and Wexford) so let me know if I can be of any help.

toodles

J.

I'm the same.. no theme ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm in, superb idea, i'm up for splashing out a little and i agree it should be discussed over a few pints, perhaps many many pints, cause ya know how logic goes after that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It's Calina's idea, so if I want in I'll be happy to go with whatever is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Anby chance you could recap on the rules / requirements of the idea ... there is a lot of to and fro ideas so I'm getting a bit confused as to what is involved ... I figure it is your idea Calina so you should call the shots havin had the chance to look at everyones input ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

For the moment now as I'm running out the door to Cork and Kerry for the weekend and will be offline.

The number one rule is that there will be no theme.

I need people who are interested to submit a photo to the flickr pool or tag a photo on pixie with boardsexhibition. In the latter case, PM me as well to say you've done this. this need not be your final choice for exhibition.

I need to sort out a venue for certain. I've had some input on this front. This may have an impact on things like how pictures are displayed. For that reason I can't say for now how that will shape up. Once that's sorted we will look at things like minimum size mounts and stuff like that. I know people have different ideas.

One of the other things I am looking into is the possibility of throwing a brochure together too although this may be superceded by the travelling book idea that was being debated earlier.

A lot of work is going to go into this, quite a bit admin work. We have a bit to go before we get to selecting photographs.

In short, if you have a photograph in the flickr pool - which I don't yet - I need nothing more from you. I am unlikely to be looking for prints on Tuesday for opening on Thursday. Even I haven't time to do that.

Have a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I may be submitting a print.
    Calina wrote: »
    Fajitas and elven are happy enough to let it go that way (where are you guys today btw?).

Trying to organise two other exhibitions (One not even in this country), keeping the entertainment going in NCAD, and trying to let a cinema let me take pictures inside. Hard work - I haven't been on much the past week.

I know quite a few places that would be open to exhibitions, I've not looked into each post on this thread in complete detail, but out of interest and experience...

We're gonna have to get a few things together, like;

Where do we want this to happen?

What type of exhibition space are we looking for?

What sizes will we be printing for the exhib?

How many prints will each of us be exhibiting?

What technical, if any, complications will we have? (People with different printing techniques etc)

What size gallery space do we need?

How do we tie our group together?

How do we promote the exhibition?

How much money are people on here willing to put into this?

Do we want/need sponsorship?

Some of the above we already know the answers, but I'm putting the questions forward, none the less!

Dev, great to see you alongside :)

Oh, and as you might have guessed, yes, I'm interested ;)

Trish, the problem with that pricing is that the gallery are going to be looking for their cut, and depending on what they are like, it could be anything from a 90:10 split, to a 40:50 split... and that's not nessicarily the good 40:50 split :(

Oh. And stickied, I think this could do with being on top.

I have some serious de-stressing to do, I'll post more later.

Ahem. and that's not dirty de-stressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I may be submitting a print.
    Excellent idea and will gladly offer any help that is needed to get this running. Going to have a look through my flickr/pix.ie for anything worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Valentia wrote: »
    With a bit of luck we will, on Saturday week ;).

:o only spotted the comment now - thanks! What a nice bunch of people we (at least you guys anyway) are! :D

...even though obviously you're the enemy for using Canon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭countryjimbo

Calina, excellent idea, thanks for getting it going. I've joined the group and will upload a photo later. Delighted to be part of this and looking forward to seeing the end result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

And I thought it was just one photo per person, but seems someone posted 6 to the FlickR group. Naughty, naughty. :eek:

Yeah, I sort of hoped that people would only upload one photograph. If you've got more than one image on it, can you kinda just choose one and remove the others?

thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Am having serious problems choosing one picture to represent my whole... thing :eek: Have realised I've got a whole bunch of very, very similar photos :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

elven wrote: »
    Am having serious problems choosing one picture to represent my whole... thing :eek:

Ophelia or The Shoes, it's has to be ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Must say I'm really impressed with the photos up so far and the great mix of styles,goes to show the that theres a really good mix of people on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I'd be interested in having a finger in this pie too. I'd also be more than happy to help in anyway possible and willing to shell out for framing et al.
    Perhaps, when we're further down the line and maybe have something tangible in the way of some sort of proposal or whatever people could possibly approach their respective employers (if thats realistic) in relation to sponsorship. I'd certainly be happy to try that anyhoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Is this still going on? The group page doesnt seem to work for me...

Yes, it's still going ahead. Flickr seems to have lost the translation for the group name so try here instead; http://www.flickr.com/groups/512424@N24/ It's just it's not something that gets done overnight. I was privately aiming for a date sometime H1 next year by the way.

By the way I'm going to start putting something together for potential galleries and tappees in November so if you're going to submit an image either via flickr or pix.ie can you do it by 5 November if possible.

Amongst the things I will want to do is put some contact sheets together. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me permission to include your photograph on a contact sheet. Likelihood is that I will wind up having to print some of these. Now would be a good time to tell me "no" if you are against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Hi Calina
    How did you plan to get the prints done. I reckon you'd want the highest quality paper and inks. I would suggest archival matte paper with pigment inks. It would cost more to produce but would look much more professional.

Dave OS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Thanks Calina, Group joined and ill have a look over my stuff and try and figure out what best illustrates "my photography", if anyone has any suggestions then feel free to take a look at my stream and let me know.

Not being in Ireland anymore im not sure if theres much i can do to help out physically Calina, but if you think of anything then gimme a shout!
    Oh yeah and do whatever you want with any photo i submit, i think its a cracking idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

this is a great idea!! kudos Treasa for spotting this!! i like the thinking here
    may I join in?
    perhaps one photograph is a bit limiting!! how about 16?
    kidding!! maybe two eh?

great great idea i love it.... please allow me to participate

:)

Fionn, go ahead.

Remember, I'm going to start putting together stuff next week so submit A as in 1 photograph by Monday.

On the off chance that you've submitted more than 1, please choose one and remove the others - if not I will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tnkrbell

ok well have read most of this thread. exhibition sounds like a great love the idea of a flickr page

last year dcu photo soc did an exhibition of some photos and they were just mounted on a black background they looked pretty cool
    just need to decide which of my pictures to add to the flickr group tis proving a bit difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'll try my best to get one in before Monday although I'm away during the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

tnkrbell wrote: »
    ok well have read most of this thread. exhibition sounds like a great love the idea of a flickr page

last year dcu photo soc did an exhibition of some photos and they were just mounted on a black background they looked pretty cool
    just need to decide which of my pictures to add to the flickr group tis proving a bit difficult

Are you in DCU Tnkrbell? Started a postgrad there a few weeks ago and have signed up to DCU's fotosoc but haven't done any of the events yet

Back OT, could I sign up to this exhibition? I've a few photos to upload to Flickr so I'll have a think about my best and go from there?....

Advertisement