Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the boards.ie photography exhibition wild plan I had

Comments

I think just one central exhibition in Dublin would be the best.The other areas just wouldn't have enough photographers to make it interesting.We would get a lot more diversity if we kept them all together.But yeah great idea,just added mine to the group.All black and white so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I don't get to come on when I'm at work these days so I'm slightly less active :mad:

Calina, I'm happy to contribute in any way I can with this, in terms of organising or whatnot. People's Photography is hard work enough but the sense of satisfaction is very well worth it.

Also, another vote for absolutely no theme. We're too much of a diversified bunch to bring in limits like that, and trying to fit a theme will deny us the chance to use what we believe is truly our best image... if it wasn't flowers/plants, I'd be screwed :rolleyes: (or maybe shoes as hugh said!)

Depending on the number of entrants, it may be nice to up it to two images each if at all possible. If we chose a standard mounting/framing method then we could all go to one supplier, and possibly negotiate a better rate as a group - then our individual price for framing would be more affordable.

Given that we find a venue, and negotiate such a rate for framing, I would be concerned about the participant side of things - there would be a limit to the amount of pictures and so, the amount of entrants - and we all know how eager people are to sign up for these things then when it comes time to put your money where your mouth is, all of a sudden the numbers fall off. Some organising along the lines of a paypal account or something to pay for the framing upfront would encourage genuine applicants, I'd say. What's the concensus on that?

Oh and "Board's Eye View" is an amazingly good name :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Calina... no no, I wouldnt want to curb your obvious enthusiasm for this idea and you clearly have a defined idea of what you want to do and I applaud that! I was throwing those suggestions in in case you didnt know where to go with the details etc.

Given the explanation of what you have in mind I can see the reasons for the way you want to go with it. I'd love to be involved (read: submit a picture and smile a big dumb smile when its all sorted out... I simply wont have time for anything else with Santa Strike Force coming up). And I'm pretty sure that we can meet any sundry costs though right now I can't see what they'd be.

So, in recap, GREAT, good on ya, if I can help let me know and certainly if/when its all go we'll advertise it accross boards to drive visitors to it!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh, I had thought this would be just online - when it comes to actual costs I'm not so good... (being a student without a job is not ideal when it comes to money :()

I will give you guys moral support though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Julie's idea of clubbing together and getting stuff framed and mounted is a very good one.

I would tend to be very optimistic about venues agreeing to exhibit our stuff. I know the Solstice Arts Centre in Navan would be open to the idea but would need to plan it well ahead, like six to 10 months. I can't see that as a problem though as there are so many venues all over the place now that the exhibition could tour the country for a couple of years.

What we need is an angle. Some catchy way of selling it. Social networking is the buzz in the media at the moment. The idea of the fruits of this networking leading to a high class photographic exhibition touring the land is definitely something that the arts columns and programmes like The View" would be very likely to run with.

Yes fierce potential me thinks. The hardest part would be the initial organising. Once that is done it's just a matter of convincing the venues (selling) and keeping an eye on the diary, making sure the stuff is transported and hung properly. I'd imagine that sales of prints would very likely result too.

It's important to give ourselves a realistic time frame and not go headlong into this. Sounds like the kind of thing that could do with a good discussion over a few pints...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think this is a great idea, both the online gallery and the physical exhibition. I agree with having no theme, just the shot that each participant considers their best.

I was thinking about the exhibition and an idea occured to me, could we exploit the digital nature of the whole thing and perhaps try to bring it to highly public areas as a type of slideshow. As an possible example somebody like samsung or sony might dedicate a high quality display in a couple of shops to play a loop of our pictures, something similar could be done even if there was an exhibition of prints in a confined space.

Just an idea I thought might be worth throwing out for people to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I was giving myself six months or so from start to opening exhibition between identifying potential candidates to target for support. I particularly wanted to highlight how this grew from nothing out of social networking.

I can't see it coming to fruition before Christmas, DeV, I'd be surprised if many people even had to think about this before then anyway.

It sounds to me like this is a go-er. What I'll do over the next couple of weeks is a little bit of research into who I need to talk to, possible spaces, etc. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if people could start thinking of one picture to go into the online pitch too so that if and when I go out to people who might be interested, I can say to them "look here; this is what I am talking about. This is the community we've got, and this is the work they are coming up with".

The main central cost is going to be exhibition space. I think thebaz was looking into this for his own project and it was fairly hefty. The other obvious cost is the mounting side of things. I'm with elven on standardising this and for my own interests I want to be talking A3 sized images at the very least if there's a consensus on that.

I'd like to keep the costs to a minimum beyond that. I realise that we have more than a few students and to be honest I wouldn't like to see people excluded purely on financial grounds either. For now, there's going to have to be some research done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I do think a standard print is best - same print company, same mounts etc. I've now added my submission to the group.

It is always good to keep costs down, and as for poor students - come on, we were all there at one stage. Almost every student has enough money for a few pints, so you can take a week or so off drinking and use that money for this. :D

This is a brilliant idea, and I think it will work. Some companies may even help sponsor - Canon, Nikon etc. I'm sure the press would also publicise the event. The idea of see one print from so many different people and such a diverse community will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Calina wrote: »
    I can't see it coming to fruition before Christmas, DeV, I'd be surprised if many people even had to think about this before then anyway.

i plan to have my thing before Christmas all going well, i'm doing it on the cheap, in spraoi hopefully , so if it goes to plan i'll gladly offer any advice i can on stumbling blocks , etc, and general issues to look out for -- oh and i'd like to contribute 1 too , if poss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Valentia wrote: »
    There we have it!! The theme is: Diversity. :D

Baz could have an exhibition by himself with that theme with all his B&W photos of Dublin people

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    I do think a standard print is best - same print company, same mounts etc. I've now added my submission to the group.

It is always good to keep costs down, and as for poor students - come on, we were all there at one stage. Almost every student has enough money for a few pints, so you can take a week or so off drinking and use that money for this. :D

This is a brilliant idea, and I think it will work. Some companies may even help sponsor - Canon, Nikon etc. I'm sure the press would also publicise the event. The idea of see one print from so many different people and such a diverse community will be great.

Lol - teetotaller here :p (not exactly living up to the stereotypical image of a student - you should see the pic I entered into the Times photo comp ;))

I'll see what the price is before making any decisions... don't have a credit card either (they charge E40 government duty on those!!! That's 2 weeks of food :()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Valentia wrote: »
    and hung properly...

;)

Terrible thing to be improperly hung...

coughs/splutters into tea ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Calina, I have no experience in organising something like this but I 100% pledge my support to helping you in any way I can. So if you have an idea of jobs that need to be done (but someone with no experience in organising an exhbition) keep me in mind and send me a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

BTW I'm all for it, but I think I need a few things cleared up.
    Questions 1&2 a simple yes/no answer just to see where people are thinking

1) Is the idea to go and show what people from here photo ? yes/no

2) Is the idea then to try and sell the photo's from the exhibition/or leave cards etc. to sell later on ? yes/no

3) How much would a rough cost of on A3 photo in a frame that would be used for the exhibition ? roughly, I'm without a clue on what they cost

Thanks
    Muineach

Muineach wrote: »
    BTW I'm all for it, but I think I need a few things cleared up.
    Questions 1&2 a simple yes/no answer just to see where people are thinking

1) Is the idea to go and show what people from here photo ? yes/no

2) Is the idea then to try and sell the photo's from the exhibition/or leave cards etc. to sell later on ? yes/no

3) How much would a rough cost of on A3 photo in a frame that would be used for the exhibition ? roughly, I'm without a clue on what they cost

Thanks
    Muineach

1. the idea is to show what people from here photograph and to get as many other people to come and look as possible.

2. it'd be a nice bonus to sell stuff but from the experience of People's Photography and my own Dollymount exhibition I wouldn't bet the house on it happening.

4) I don't know the framing cost to be honest. The print depends on who does your printing.

hughchal wrote: »
    ;)

Terrible thing to be improperly hung...

coughs/splutters into tea ...

been improperly hung, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

The other obvious cost is the mounting side of things. I'm with elven on standardising this and for my own interests I want to be talking A3 sized images at the very least if there's a consensus on that.

Does that mean we're restricted to a particular format? I dunno wht A3 is in real life (quick dash to wikipedia) - it's 297 × 420 so are we restricted to stuff that's composed for 4:3 roughly?

Some of my preferred stuff would be closer to the Golden Ratio (1618:1000 or roughly 5:3).

Also A3 is pretty big, so will look less good if originating from a lower resolution camera, which may affect some of the folks in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

1. the idea is to show what people from here photograph and to get as many other people to come and look as possible.

2. it'd be a nice bonus to sell stuff but from the experience of People's Photography and my own Dollymount exhibition I wouldn't bet the house on it happening.

4) I don't know the framing cost to be honest. The print depends on who does your printing.

Thanks Calina, I just wasn't sure if the idea was to try and sell stuff, fine by me either way :)

[QUOTE=Thirdfox;54232429don't have a credit card either (they charge E40 government duty on those!!! That's 2 weeks of food :()[/QUOTE]

from memory ulster bank have a deal where if you spend so much on the card they effectively rebate money to you and it pays the 40 euros

I was thinking more about this today.

I have set up a flickr group called boards exhibition.

when i click on the link it says page not found :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah now I have to pick one! Gah!

Treasa I'm an absolute definite for this, barring flood, famine or *spectacularly huge* cost. I'm assuming we won't be talking many many many hundreds? (I'll see your student Thirdfox and raise you with single-parent student :p;) ) I'd really love to get involved. I was disappointed in myself for not getting it together for PP. And of course I'll pre-pay. It seems the only sensible way to go. Its a good excuse to get a decent print done and framed if nothing else.

100% agreed on no theme (unless of course the theme is 'double-bass in B&W'...).

I'm hitting critical mass on workload with college and the boys, but I'm pretty experienced with funding and the whole NGO thing. If I have any spare time I'll gladly give whatever hand you might need with organising. In all fairness though I think this would be very little.

And hey - thanks for taking this on board. Fair play to ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Good idea ... just joined the group ... may be an idea to invite known flickr boardsies to join through flickr ...

Apologies if this is already said in the thread ... its late and I have a short attention span ...

roryw wrote: »
    from memory ulster bank have a deal where if you spend so much on the card they effectively rebate money to you and it pays the 40 euros

Thanks - I'll look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

This is a great idea, As for gallery space do any of the libraries or dublin Corpo have exhibition space that could be used. If it was proposed as a community type exhibition not for profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

Hi Calina,

Initially I thought the idea of a theme was good but then after reading your thoughts have changed my mind. Doing a lot of work withthe local LGBT group, anything that might exclude people isnt a good idea, so out withthe themes. The more diverse the people that take part and the more diverse the pistures are, all the better. Seeing something totally different is, IMHO, always good and can sometimes challange us to try something different ourselves.

As for an exhibition, I have some experience in the last couple of years and some handy contacts (in Dublin and Wexford) so let me know if I can be of any help.

toodles

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Much more to think about but just as a quick note on standardisation - we could have a standard frame size, then the print could be whatever size and ratio and have the mount cut appropriately. I've seen small prints with very large mounts and it looked great...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I agree with elven. The prints shouldn't be limited by the shape/size of the frame. Just standardise the frame size.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Might it not be an idea then to set a maximum frame size, so if people want to frame, say, a panorama, they can frame it proportionally within the limit so it doesn't look like a stripe across the centre of a large frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

great idea, especially agree with no theme. Count me in !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Now what to pick.

Advertisement