Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Accountants

Options
  • 08-10-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

The company I work for is considering changing the accountancy practice they are using from a Big 4 firm to a smaller co.
    Basically they aren't satisfied with the service they are receiving and that with a smaller more local firm the service will improve.
    What is the normal practice of changing accountants and can the business be tendered for, etc?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Talk Cents wrote:
    The company I work for is considering changing the accountancy practice they are using from a Big 4 firm to a smaller co.
    Basically they aren't satisfied with the service they are receiving and that with a smaller more local firm the service will improve.
    What is the normal practice of changing accountants and can the business be tendered for, etc?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Quick question - What's the approx turnover & profitability of your company?

You can change your accountant/auditor whenever you like. Your previous auditor reserve certain rights (I won't bore you), but these are usually technicalities.

You can of course get an other company to quote a price for the work when you contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Talk Cents

Thanks,
    Turnover is approx €20m, business is high turnover, low margin, company will not make a profit in 07. I am pretty sure we are paying plenty for the service we are receiving. The company is relatively new formed in 05. I was just wondering what the protocall is re. approaching prospective auditors, how willing they are to taking on new clients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hi,

At least at 20m t/o you were in the market for a big four. I imagine you'd be looking at a large mid-tier company.

I think you've a bit too much reverence about the auditing profession. You should treat your audit like any service - who can provide the best service for the best money. At the moment you're possibly at a consolidation stage, and are watching the below the line expenses.

Any mid-tier audit company will be biting at the bit to provide you with a service, and why wouldn't they - you're doing them a favour. Make sure you're up front that cost is an issue.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You need to interview the proposed firm to ensure that the firm has the resources and technical capabilties to provide an audit opinion on your company.

IFAC have guidlelines for practices as to the type of work they should and shouldnt undertake.

I dont think this an issue once the audit partner as relevant experience.

I use to work in a small practice who had large clients, and the techincal expertise of the audit ment that they where able to conduct the audit efficently and adequately, the audit manager worked and trained with Deloitte & Touche and he knew his stuff inside out.

I learned more about accounting and auditing from this gentleman than I did in Uni.

So it depends in my opinion whether the practice has the capabilities to perform an audit for your company.

Advertisement