Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for fluent Latin Linguists

• 24-09-2007 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I am looking for somebody to do a translation for me of English to Latin.

Or to be perhaps put in contact with someone or some body that could help me with my search. the phrase is.

"Appreciate what you have when you have it. You can't ignore this."

I have two versions already accumulated however one is Italian if any of you can give me your opinion on these two.

"Aestima Quod Habes Cum Habes. Memento"

&

"Apprezza Cio Che Hai Quando L'Hai. Non Dimentigarlo."

Any input wildly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

"Apprezza Cio Che Hai Quando L'Hai. Non Dimentigarlo."

I know we love our capital letters in English, but Italians would only put capitals on the first words of each of those sentences.

There should be a grave accent over the O of "cio", but because it's hard to find on the keyboard, Italians generally just put an apostrophe after the vowel when writing e-mails, etc.

Any native speakers may contradict me, but I think "quello" instead of "cio" would be more conversational, more natural. Then again, in a quotation, "cio" might fit the bill better.

The last word is "dimenticarlo" with a C. Was it a Roman who told you this phrase? They would pronounce it "dimentigarlo", but that's not standard Italian... it's kind of like saying "me mother" instead of "my mother".

So... "Apprezza cio' che hai quando l'hai. Non dimenticarlo."

Ciao ciao...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

Thank you for your response there.

Um in Italian that accent would go: ció is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I'm no "fluent Latin linguist" so I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to reply to this thread :rolleyes:, but I like taking opportunities to keep my Latin fresh so I'll have a go. The translation you have at the moment isn't great; the verb "aestimare" means something more like to appraise than to appreciate, and cum doesn't read right in that sense. Memento just means remember.

I'm not sure whether the abstract pronouns should be plural or singular, but here's my attempt anyway:

"Magna face quae habes quandocunque ea habes. Haec tractare te oportet."

Advertisement