Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPA v ACCA

• 12-09-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I've just got my results from DCU. As I repeated a subject, I will now only receive a fairly useless pass degree. I'm sick of exams which leads me to Acca(which leaves me with around 6 exams) but I really don't want to go back up to Dublin(which leaves me with Cpa in Carlow but with anything from 6 to 14 exams)

Anyone want to map out my life on their tea break?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

But you can do your ACCA in other parts of Ireland. I haven't fully researched it all yet. Maybe you have to do the exmas in Dublin but you can definitly do the courses in other parts of Ireland like Galway, Limerick, Cork etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Philthy wrote:
    I'm sick of exams which leads me to Acca...

Well I have to say, that's 9 words I thought I'd never see in one sentence! :D

You can do both CPA and ACCA by distance learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

CPA have provisionally given me exemptions from Formation 1 and exemptions from one other subject which leaves 11 exams. I think I'm going to have to look into ACCA

Ps I was hoping to stay in the midlands as the trains and buses finish running before lectures finish for the evening. And I can't see myself driving around the red cow roundabout. Sorry girlies, I'm letting the side down!

smcgiff wrote:
    You can do both CPA and ACCA by distance learning.

Would you recommend distance learning? Do you get much support? I think I would need to go to lectures. I might look into going to Athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Philthy wrote:
    Would you recommend distance learning? Do you get much support? I think I would need to go to lectures. I might look into going to Athlone

I wana know this as well

Good Question !

Unfortunately I think the CPA v ACCA thing has been covered a million times. I should have named it something else. Like distance learning for dummies. I get the feeling I'd get stuff from the college and "open it later". And we all know that it will get forgotten about until just before the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hi Philthy,

Distance learning is not suited to everyone. It depends on what kind of person you are. You need to be self motivated.

However, even if you do lectures, there’ll be no one standing over you with a gun making you do anything. But, I’m guessing this is similar to when you did your degree. All lectures do is help explain something that you don’t understand – IF you ask.

With distance learning you get the study text and other manuals, but basically you get a study text and you go through it yourself. There’s work books as well (stay away from these – just use past papers.)

You’ll also get a mock exam and they will correct this and give it back to you for feed back.

From the information you’ve given I’d recommend...

ACCA via distance learning, but by attending a revision course near the exams.

Good luck.

Thanks smcgiff. It's food for thought anyway.

I found out that the websites have not been updated with the new exam structure and I was told that its either 11-12 CPA exams or 6 ACCA. However, I don't want to choose one over the other because of the number of exams. I'm still thinking about it. Travelling to Athlone doesn't sound too bad though.

Advertisement