Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryans Annual Budget Gone. No More Money This Year

• 05-09-2007 10:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

A bit of 'follow the money' indicates that the dept of comms actually has none . The exchequer returns yesterday have put 2007 expenditure into the freezer. Eamonn Ryans department is notably amongst them.

Do remember that as I pointed out last year when the estimates were published he had no money this year for any national whatsisit anyway so the key financial indicator is the Book of Estimates for 2008, published in late autumn.

Then we will really find out if anyone pays any head to Eamonn....and I suspect they do not :(

The Dept of Comms officially has

€136,759,000 in 2006
    €151,984,000 In 2007

Source page 7

At end August 2006 they were sticking to that

However by end SEPTEMBER 2006 this all changes and it turned out they had spent €172,227.000

...or were on course to do so. In a benign budgetary environment as it turned out.

Now this year its allegedly way worse.

The biggest variable in the mix is not BB or MAN rollouts , its this SEI grant scheme. for greening your home energy.

It turns out that this scheme has swallowed €40m this year so in a panic, Ryan pulled the plug yesterday as you can see here and here .

Ryan now has to buy himself a calculator and figure out how to balance his departmental budget . You may take it that communications issues will take a back door until he figures out how to use this calculator.

Follow the money, Ryan has none .

Ryan did waffle on the radio to Matt Cooper yesterday about a new grant scheme starting 01 Oct .

IF this new scheme ( much to my amazement) appears on the 01 Oct as promised then I will not call him a liar. If anyone gets a cheque paid to them before the 1st of jan 2008 under this new scheme I will be astonished .

Nevertheless the grant scheme has so far swallowed up 1/4 of the dept of Comms total budget for this entire year.

You can hear Eamonn wittering to Matt Cooper on this from 30 mins onward ( windows media) here

If Eamonn cannot raise the money to resume this grant scheme on the 1st of October then he is, to my mind, a total dead duck as a minister...and less than 6 months into his term.

Meanwhile commmunications issues go on the back burner , not a priority at all .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Missing from that is the actual outturn in Ryans department so far this year , I found it HERE

From an original estimate of €151m he and Dempsey actually spend €184m so far .

Now in fairness every other departments is up too ....but not by 20% .

To deliver ongoing projects like

1. The new green energy grant scheme
    2. National broadband in 2008
    3. DTT rollout
    4. Mans
    5. ESB and Bord Gais fibre extensions.

he will need about minimum €250m in 2008 and possibly €300m .

I would say that Ryan will be damn lucky to break €200m in the book of estimates in the late autumn.

Something will pretty obviously give .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No DTT
    No ESB/ Bord Gais
    No more MANs
    Foot draging on NBS as the longer you put it off the less there is to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You will not that This department has lost Marine. It is now the Dept. of Communications, Energy and Natural Resourses. Energy was always part of DCMNRs portfoilo hence why should a dept that has drop one of its major divisions get an increase when just by staying static they are getting an increase due to the lose of Marine to Agriculture (Under Junior Minister for Sea Food Trevor Sargent) and while Noel Dempsey has remained on as Minister for Marine (And also Transport).

Lets give Eamonn Ryan a chance he has to take over from FF. How long is he a minister 3 months?

I don't think you can blame him yet. Noel Dempsey yes but Mr. Ryan give it another year.

he shadowed it for 5 , what chance does he need ??

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Sponge Bob wrote:
    he shadowed it for 5 , what chance does he need ??

Agreed. He had no shortage of good ideas and advice for Noel D when he was on the opposition benches. They all seem to have disappeared now that he's switched sides (of the house of course!)

• Advertisement

Agreed. He had no shortage of good ideas and advice for Noel D when he was on the opposition benches. They all seem to have disappeared now that he's switched sides (of the house of course!)

Strange we have two new minister who have only been ministers since June 16th, just coming into their 5th month in office, and they should step down right now.

Minister Ryan has had to take a different course of action due to the over spending of the last governments (and their continued procrastinating, Minister Dempsey introduced him to the department by letting him know he has a lot more to do), so because he was the Green party spokes person on Communication we shouldn't give him a chance when we have given 10 years to FF. Come on!

FF people where going on about how inexperienced the oppostion where and now that the opposition are in power they've had plent of time to understand the workings of a ministerialship????

He has 5 years in this job, made more difficult by the failures of the last 10 years.

I did give him a chance right up until he started to tell outright lies in September . He was showing signs of it in June but I held off on him until September in case he showed signs of sentience.

Now my opinion is that he is a clueless liar and will do nothing of any value as long as he is minister. I had that opinion of Dempsey the minute he was appointed so Ryan lasted almost 3 months longer .

Now my opinion is that he is a clueless liar and will do nothing of any value as long as he is minister. I had that opinion of Dempsey the minute he was appointed so Ryan lasted almost 3 months longer .

Thanks you answer my question in the other thread no need to reply.

Sorry totally of the topic. IMO.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    A bit of 'follow the money' indicates that the dept of comms actually has none . The exchequer returns yesterday have put 2007 expenditure into the freezer. Eamonn Ryans department is notably amongst them.

and there are MORE exchaquer returns today . Eamo has spent €202m .
    The Dept of Comms officially has

€136,759,000 in 2006
    €151,984,000 In 2007

Source page 7

At end August 2006 they were sticking to that

However by end SEPTEMBER 2006 this all changes and it turned out they had spent €172,227.000

And this year in the same period they blew their budget by even more.

Around €50m more. Now of COURSE Dempsey had a hand in it :)

Something will assuredly not happen next year , a National BB Scheme for starters. For some reason Ryan has blown €18m in the last month alone .

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/32527/pkey/653
    Minister raids broadband fund for €10m to bail out energy conservation schemes overspend - Coveney

Fine Gael Communications, Energy & Natural Resources Spokesman Simon Coveney TD has expressed serious concern at Minister Eamon Ryan's decision to take €10 million from the budget for information and communications technology (broadband roll-out) and re-allocate the money to Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI) in order to solve a problem of over-expenditure.

"Fine Gael is a strong supporter of Sustainable Energy Ireland and we have welcomed the Greener Homes Scheme as a positive development. The Greener Homes Scheme is an essential part of improving energy efficiency within households and allocating public monies to support such a scheme is necessary.

"However, what is not acceptable is to allow the expenditure on an energy conservation scheme to grow above its budget allocation to the extent of €16.2 million, and to expect that figure to be met by re-allocating funds from an area as important as broadband roll-out.

"The roll-out of adequate broadband connectivity across the country is just as important a priority for Irish competitiveness as is conservation within the energy sector. I would be supportive of the Minister in his allocation of extra funding to Sustainable Energy Ireland if that funding was to come from other energy expenditure budgets or was new capital committed by the Department of Finance.

"However, broadband roll-out should not have to suffer in order to allow Sustainable Energy Ireland to pay its bills, and the Minister needs to take responsibility for mishandling of the energy conservation budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement