Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All About Home Economics" by Deirdre Madden

• 15-08-2007 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Does anybody remember doing this book for their Group/ Intermediate Certificate back in the mid-80s? I bought this book three months before I started secondary school (in 1983) and I read it from cover to cover throughout the holidays. It was full of tips on cleaning and cooking amongst other things. My mother noticed the house a lot cleaner when I read this book!
    It had a brown paperback cover.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I did have a brown home ec book by Deirdre Madden for my leaving (mid nineties). Can't remember the title though - probably had "home economics" in it :). Horrendously boring subject. I got my lowest mark in it, even though a chimp could do well in some of the assessments (e.g. "draw an aerial view of a kitchen" :rolleyes:). Just shows how interested I was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

done th home ec for the leaving cert and it was doddle. easy subject that. was crap at the cooking but you were not examied on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Dudess wrote:
    I did have a brown home ec book by Deirdre Madden for my leaving (mid nineties). Can't remember the title though - probably had "home economics" in it :). Horrendously boring subject. I got my lowest mark in it, even though a chimp could do well in some of the assessments (e.g. "draw an aerial view of a kitchen" :rolleyes:). Just shows how interested I was in it.
    It was a boring subject, I suppose Dudess, but I felt Deirdre Madden made it more interesting! You see, the house I grew up in would have easily featured in Kim'n'Aggie and I knew nothing about housework or hygiene, until Deirdre Madden came to the rescue! I feel the book saved me as I learned how to wash dishes properly, cleaning tips, even the fact my mother used only buy one toothbrush a year for all of us to use was wrong. It even taught me about the proper foods to eat. I'd love to get a copy of that book, but in those days it was impossible to get hold of a secondhand version of it as people held onto them. So, Dudess, if you find it in your attic and would like to part with it please let me know!!!

Wo, that's some unpleasant stuff you've told me about your childhood, kelle. Hope things are ok now.

I actually don't have the book. I distinctly remember selling it at a second-hand shop and then, a few weeks later, wishing I still had it as there was something I needed to look up in it.
    May not be available at this stage. But look her up. She's probably still publishing books. A more up-to-date one would probably be even better anyway.

Hope you find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Have a copy at home. Any of ye have all in the cooking from the 1960's (my mam had it in st Catherines), tis great for really basic recipies.

• Advertisement

St Catherine's in Bishopstown?

Have a copy at home. Any of ye have all in the cooking from the 1960's (my mam had it in st Catherines), tis great for really basic recipies.
    Yes, we had that book, Mrs McGyver! It required the minimum amount of ingredients for everything, and were so easy for me as a kid to follow. Though I looked through it a couple of years ago and was shocked to find recipes requiring sheep's brains and pig's cheek:eek:
    Dudess wrote:
    Wo, that's some unpleasant stuff you've told me about your childhood, kelle. Hope things are ok now.
    I suppose I make it sound really bad! We were happy, though, and rarely visited the doctor but I never invited friends round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 siobhy

Hi Mrs.Mac Gyver, any ideas on where I could get a copy of this book, My Mother is allways raving on about it so hopefully I will be able to surprise her Regards Siobhan

It's funny to see my old thread brought back to life :D!

Siobhy, I NEVER managed to get a copy of this book despite constant searching on eBay and Amazon!

I heard on the radio recently that All in The Cooking was for sale at an unbelievable price (about €300) on some American websites, but people have got lucky and got them on eBay at a reasonable price! So keep searching....

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

I have a copy of 'All about Home Economics' here that I still refer to from time to time.

Unfortunately Deirdre Madden passed away quite some time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I also own a copy of this book. I kept it for the recipes.

Lynfo wrote: »
    I have a copy of 'All about Home Economics' here that I still refer to from time to time.

Unfortunately Deirdre Madden passed away quite some time ago.

Are you sure about this?

I just see the updated version of the latest LC Home Ec book, and her name is on it.

Is this a different Deirdre Madden?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

kelle wrote: »
    Are you sure about this?

100% I used to know one of her daughters, Deirdre passed away about 10 years ago iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I think that's the book my cousin had. Was it a tan coloured book with a photo on the front of a bowl of flour with eggs floating in it...or something like that?

I had a smaller thicker book, think the cover was dark green and maybe red. I think there was a picture of a hand on the front. I used my sisters and the cover fell off. I lent it to someone and never got it back. I was mad 'cos there were great recipes in it. It was used up 'til 1985 anyway.

I remember learning off the lists of stuff proteins, fats and carbohydrates did for us, some of it I still know word for word. Proteins ...'for growth and repair, to repair worn soft tissues etc.' I remember 'excess carbohydrates are stored as fat and used to pad muscles and nerves.':)

I wonder if we showed Folens a copy of this thread, would they have it re-published like Soundings?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise

anyone have a spare copy of this book by any chance?

Tinalouise wrote: »
    anyone have a spare copy of this book by any chance?

If they do Tina, they're reluctant to part with it. And I don't blame them.

In the meantime, I'm still checking out websites - if I find any I will inform you!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise

anyone have any luck finding this book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I'm so old that we used the Byrne and Timoney Home Economics book.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I left school more years ago than I care to share, have lived in several different countries and moved house more times than I care to remember ... and this is the ONLY schoolbook I still have and refer to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I used to love Home Ec, although I'm not familiar with the Deirdre Madden book. I love older household manuals etc. especially from the 50's and before.

A good guide to general household stuff is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=home+comforts+the+art+and+science+of+keeping+house+by+cheryl+mendelson&sprefix=Home+Comforts+

Rather extremist (NOBODY can keep routines as involved as some described in this book), but very thorough and informative on everything from place settings to choosing a dryer or deciphering laundry tags. Its not a cookbook though so no recipes, basic or otherwise.

An entertaining read from the Victorian Era is Mrs Beetons Guide to Household Management. She gives tips on how the staff are to be managed, as well as some entertaining thoughts on cooking and nutrition :)

Online here:
    http://www.mrsbeeton.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 girlwithpearls

Did anybody hear the segment on Ryan Tubridy's show yesterday morning about this book? About 16:40 on wards on showplayer: http://2fm.rte.ie/show/get_epg_schedule_item/86/2011-09-20

I want a copy now more than ever!
    I wonder if we showed Folens a copy of this thread, would they have it re-published like Soundings?

I think this is a brilliant idea! Let the campaign begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

That would be great! I'm not sure if my old copy is still around (probably in my parents' attic).

On a similar note I noticed the republished Exploring English (The short story edition) on sale in Tesco yesterday! That was a great book - again I think the original's still knocking around at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 leelaaloo

ah that's so funny Kelle. I was just about to post about ryan tubridy talking about it all week and someone beat me to it.. they may be putting pressure on the publishers yet..and my dad just told me he's clearing out the attic today and reckons my old school books are still up there.though I hated home economics always loved that book so hoping it's still there...

leelaaloo wrote: »
    ah that's so funny Kelle. I was just about to post about ryan tubridy talking about it all week and someone beat me to it.. they may be putting pressure on the publishers yet..and my dad just told me he's clearing out the attic today and reckons my old school books are still up there.though I hated home economics always loved that book so hoping it's still there...

I started this thread in 2007! Looks like it could be paying off at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Still have the book with all it's doodles by my classmates.
    Like another poster, I kept it for it's recipies and tips. Have it so long now I couldn't bear to part with it.
    Wonder how much it would fetch on e-bay. Anybody sell one?

The book that was sold on eBay made €23.50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 leelaaloo

Kelle I found mine in my mam's attic...i thought i might like to keep it but doesn't have any particularly good memories for me ,unlike you... dare I say this without causing a war,but would you like it? methinks you deserve it after all your years of searching.it's in perfect condition...

Advertisement