Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

TOS

TOATB!

Shatner was Star Trek!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

you should buy the comedy central roast of william shatner, very funny for anyone who remembers TOS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

User45701 wrote:
    you should buy the comedy central roast of william shatner, very funny for anyone who remembers TOS
    I saw that. Really didn't find it funny at all.

These 'Roasts' seem to be a bit like that Aristocrats joke - just an exercise in vulgarity that gets old after the first five minutes or so.

In a nutshell : Shatner is old and fat and Sulu's gay. Lather, rinse, repeat.

but its william shatner also that was the first "roast" i watched. ive always said william shatner is so full of himself you just laugh at him

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rozlod

Yeah I love TNG and Voyager, have only seen 1 or 2 random episodes of DS9, hoping to get it on DVD soon, so ****ing expensive though.:mad:

R

• Advertisement

ye i dont get that, you can buy all 10 seasons of SG1 54 dvs's for 150 euro, i dont think youd get 54 dvd's packed with star trek for 150 euro, **** you paramount

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rozlod wrote:
    Yeah I love TNG and Voyager, have only seen 1 or 2 random episodes of DS9, hoping to get it on DVD soon, so ****ing expensive though.:mad:

R
    *Virtual slap*
    Watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm suprised at the great reception DS9 got - I started off loving the idea of it, but lost interest quickly:

Sisko was the worst captain ever. And played by the worst actor ever - why the guy had to bark and hyperventilate all his lines I don't know, it sounded like he was being jabbed with a cattle prod halfway through each sentence. Compare him to Picard, who actually looks and sounds like someone who could be trusted with running a starship or space station, the man is like a sugar injection in a kindergarten.

Jake - why the producers didn't learn from the alt.wesley.die.die.die days that annoying teenage kids aren't a good thing to have on a sci-fi show is anyone's guess. But they didn't.

Bajorans - Oooh a planet of religious farmers. This is going to make for a great 7-season subplot.

DS9 being dark made it a great series, possibly better than the other Treks, but it made it a worse Trek, like Enterprise, in that it threw out what makes Trek Trek. Starfleet isn't a shady organisation with secret military spy operations carrying out murders. That Section 32 really pissed me off because it was the culmination of "ah **** this Trek business, let's make a war show instead." attitude of the producers. It's telling that a lot of the great things about DS9 were brought in after the addition of Worf. In a lot of ways it is a better show, it hasn't dated as badly, it isn't as naieve, it isn't as poorly written as a lot of the TNG stuff. But imo it's a worse Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

That Section 32 really pissed me off because it was the culmination of "ah **** this Trek business, let's make a war show instead." attitude of the producers.
    Actually it was Section 31 and it made it a bit more interesting, they weren't really involved in wars as much as being secret ops and Starfleet generally didn't approve of them, they were rogue but it drove home the point that even the Federation wasn't perfect because after all they didn't mind looking the other way when it suited them.

ye i have to say if i was going to re-watch every single episode of 1 of the shows itmwould not be TNG sitting though episodes like that one where whesley steped on the flower bed and was to be put to death..

re-watching ds9 would be allot easyer, better charactors and such like Gareck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

LilKitty wrote:
    Actually it was Section 31 and it made it a bit more interesting, they weren't really involved in wars as much as being secret ops and Starfleet generally didn't approve of them, they were rogue but it drove home the point that even the Federation wasn't perfect because after all they didn't mind looking the other way when it suited them.

But that's the whole point. Roddenberry's whole attitude to Trek was that is was an example of humanity at its best, not its worst, and an example of hope of what humans could be, as opposed to cynicism about what they were at their worst. Section 31 goes totally against everything that Roddenberry and Trek stood for, throws it in the gutter, and pisses all over it.

Not really because the main crew oppose them, and they are a unoffical orginisation who have been in existence since BEFORE the founding of the federation and the peace and love stuff.

Also there have been ALLOT of episodes where a human does something bad and your telling me any episode where a human is a not a good person is pissing all over rodenberry? No. And is it unusual that a group of likeminded people would gather together and form a orginisation? No its not.

But that's the whole point. Roddenberry's whole attitude to Trek was that is was an example of humanity at its best, not its worst, and an example of hope of what humans could be, as opposed to cynicism about what they were at their worst. Section 31 goes totally against everything that Roddenberry and Trek stood for, throws it in the gutter, and pisses all over it.
    Roddenberry may have had a rosy vision for Star Trek but I doubt he planned it to be a complete Utopia, otherwise it'd be so far out of reality it'd be almost unwatchable. Section 31 is merely mentioned a few times, its not even a core element of DS9, humans at their best is all very good and well but without any insight into them being more negative it creates an illusion that they are almost perfect and have no bad intentions ever and that's just not reality, in hundreds of years do you really think everyone will be the best they can be? Even if most are it's unlikely everyone will be, that's the whole point. Section 31 merely reflects that.

Heres a question.

In one of these topics (i cant it) someone mentioned that jake was a **** charactor and just as bad as wesley.

do you all hate jake is he just as bad as wesley?

for me wesley was the worst charactor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jake's not as bad as Wesley but he was given more time to develop as a character -- he moved beyond being just the resident kid on the show. Wesley also improved with the seasons but didn't stick around long enough for his character to develop into anything worth remembering fondly.

That said, I think there's plenty of annoying characters on DS9. Quark, Rom, Rom's whole stupid family, Odo much of the time, Kira, Dax, Sisko and his constant hyper-ventilating (as someone mentioned above), Bashir in the early seasons, pretty much all of the Bajorn guest stars, the Ferangi guest stars... yeah, so not great characters imo.

Obviously they weren't all bad all the time, but I never grew to love them as I did the TOS/TNG crew. And I guess O'Brian and Worf (the two TNG spillovers) would be the only ones I'd actually pick out as being worth their salery.

I didn't find Jake annoying like Wesley could be at times, rather just more boring.

I actually like Quark and Odo as I found them as some of the most interesting characters on DS9, however I'd say my fav for the series was actually Garak, I am often fond of mysterious and unusual characters who have a certain style about them. Rom was annoying at times and I liked Kiera(if that's how you spell her name), she was a strong character and had because she wasn't Starfleet had quite a different background to many other main characters in Star Trek(well the ones who are high ranking officers anyway).

i liked all the charactors, i was a little "eh" about ezri at first because it just cheapened Jagzia's death, ds9 was the best and the crew worked together in a unique way that i didnt see/feel in tng or voy. only DS9 and TOS had a sense of realism and love for the charactors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Leonitos

For me TNG was the best of the lot and the Movies are not bad either. The stories with Q and the Borg were my favorites. I also though given time Enterprise could have been a good spin off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Folks just to let ye know that Deep space nine and Enterprise are being rerun on Virgin 1, for those of us that work you need sky+ or set your video (remember them) for 3 in the afternoon. Enterprise starts monday the 8th at 8 or 9 there's a +1hr channel if I'm wrong.
    Now as for my favorite, I would have to say DS9 because it had everything story line, action and the characters really developed over the span of the show. It and I can't emphasise this enough had a conclusion, a real finish :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I think Voyager was overall my favourite, but there was something absolutely magical watching the original series on it's initial run when I was 8.

Enetrprise looked alright, but there was too much sex in it for my liking.

• Advertisement

ye i agree i was apparently 4 when i started watching it but i only remmeber watching it when i was 5 and ye watching that as a child wow, my mom loved it as well thats why i would have watched it when i was 4 i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ixoy wrote: »
    Deep Space 9 - a very, very easy vote for me. Far ahead of the rest of the franchise, IMHO. Not a huge surprise given I love Babylon 5 and appreciate season-long arcs that DS9 gave me.

I also prefered the darker tone of DS9 and Sisko was a much tougher SOB than his predecessors especially, as noted, when he went bald and became a bad-ass motherf*cker during the Dominion War et al. There were far more interesting shades of grey in this one - less of the namby pamby goody two shoes of Trek that normally makes me want to vomit. Of course I'm giving a big respect here to Ronald D. Moore who went on to do that other shaded sci-fi show, Battlestar Galactica.

TOS, while we're here, never did it for me - too camped up and cheap, a product of its time.
    TNG was good but hasn't aged that well. Still a number of classics but too many daft "stuck in the holodeck episodes".
    Voyager, at its best, was merely decent but, at its worst, made me want to smash the TV screen - don't ever mention that Irish village again. I also strongly disliked some of the characters - Neelix in particular - that I couldn't watch it. Had some neat enough time travel stories though and a few decent Borg installments. Just too much excrement in between.
    Enterprise - well I can safely say this is the worst. An unbearably awful captain who seemed to have the comptency of a lobotomised baboon, surrounded by the likes of a red-necked hick and a younger transgendered Spock. Added nothing to the canon but certainly destroyed some of it. Thankfully not going to be gracing our screens for much longer so maybe their creative juices will bring us something different next time...

Excellent appraisal - I agree fully.

• TNG is the best for me, probably because its the first one I started to watch.

In the order of preference:
    TNG
    Voyager
    DS9
    Original
    Animated (only watched 1 episode, only knew it existed recently)
    Enterprise (interesting how they answered some questions; the Klingon forehead but on the whole wasn't a good show)

Edit: After re-thinking my choice, and remembering how good DS9 was sometimes, I would change my order of preference as follows:

TNG
    DS9
    Voyager
    Original
    Enterprise
    Animated (moved to the bottom solely based on the fact I haven't watched enough of them to base any real preference)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I loved DS9 while watching it in order as each new episode came out. The storyline was fantastic, sisko was amazing, loved him. But I love watching a random episode of Voyager or TNG nowadays. I never took to TOS or Enterprise and never seen the animated one!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

People go on about how fantastic DS9's Dominion War arc was, but I think they tend to forget how ****ing awful some of the stuff inbetween was. For every Way of the Warrior you'd have an episode on Ferengi trade union disputes or Bajoran candle-lighting ceremonies.

A classic example of how incredibly inconsistent DS9 could be was that one week you'd have 'In the Pale Moonlight' - 'Sisko and Garak lure the Romulans into the Dominion war in order to get them to join the Federation/Klingon Alliance. Without them, the Federation and Klingon Empire would eventually lose the war and fall under Dominion rule.' and the next week you'd have 'His Way' - 'Odo uses Bashir's holosuite character of Vic Fontaine to bring himself and Kira closer together.'

There's also the issue of having some of the great Dominion War arc stories continually interrupted by the infuriatingly dull and irritating arc about pantomime-Dukat and Kai W(h)inn(ger).

TNG still tops for me. It didn't have much in the way of story arcs but it still produced some of (probably THE) best ST episodes ever and was generally consistently good. It was helped by having Patrick Stewart who has more gravitas than the entire cast of DS9, Voyager and Enterprise put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

at the time TNG was my fave then I re-discovered DS9 a few years back - absolutely amazing

DS9 has held up extremely well, especially from season 3/4 onwards - TNG had dated badly IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

tng - for the absolute gas expressions on riker's face.

seriously. rewatch any episode of tng and have a gander at the faces riker makes. i swear to god. there should've been a geordi/data spinoff show too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

yeah but even if the TNG has aged it doesn't take away from how great the characters are in it! Not one of them are boring or annoying! Picard is the best captain by a mile, he has such a commanding presence and was perfectly cast imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

Hard to say really, I hated Voyager to start with, but it was the only Trek series on tv at the time, and it ended up growing on me. I watched Ent purely for Skott Bakula, it was still kind of enjoyable despite its flaws, I loved DS9 (ferengiiiiiis !) but have only seen the 1st season, have only seen random bits of TNG but liked them a lot. I really must watch more of all the series, that is the only logical course of action...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

poukai wrote: »
    Hard to say really, I hated Voyager to start with, but it was the only Trek series on tv at the time, and it ended up growing on me. I watched Ent purely for Skott Bakula, it was still kind of enjoyable despite its flaws, I loved DS9 (ferengiiiiiis !) but have only seen the 1st season, have only seen random bits of TNG but liked them a lot. I really must watch more of all the series, that is the only logical course of action...

If you liked the first season of DS9 it's safe to say you'll love the rest. Go and watch!

Advertisement