Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst pint of Guinness you've had?

Options
  • 26-07-2007 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

We've all gotten some rotten ones.

Name and shame ppl.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Crawdaddy. *shudders* not a place for the Guinness drinkers.

anywhere else other than the obvious clubs ect. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I have two nominations.

1. College bar in Carmarthen, Wales. Plastic pint-glass. The person behind the bar just pulled the tap down, then set the 'glass' under the stream, filled to the top and put it in front of me, in all of it's sudsy glory. My jesus.

2. Some bar on Darling Harbour, Sydney. Went up to the bar, saw two lads drinking Guinness, asked them what it was like. Turned out they were two English lads, they told me it was 'alright'. I decided to chance it. Barman proceded to pour flat guinness from a can, then put the container it was in under a soda-stream type machine. :eek:

But if we're talking about in Dublin, then The Sheaf O' Wheat in Coolock Village does a vile pint. As does The Goblet in Artane for about the last three years, it used to be one of the nicest in there, not any more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

had a few rank ones when i chanced my arm in New York last year but i had repressed the memories of those ones. eww.

never been to the Goblet but am surprised to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

There's a "pub" in Portlaoise called Bar Habana.

It only opens two/three nights a week and only has Guinness and Carlsberg on tap. The pint in there is the worst I've ever tasted. :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Eamonn Doranns (although its the same with all pints in there)

Fibbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The bar in DCU. Disgusting.

A bar in Shannon Airport.

Spirit. I know, I know.

• Advertisement

i boycotted Dorans a while ago for the following reason:

Pint of 'Guinness' (disgusting) poured badly in one go into a plastic cup by a surly barman that cost 5.20

not to mention i was ID'd at the door for the first time in years.

thery're a right shower in that place. especially the bouncers.

most of my business goes to whelans now. good pints in there (front bar only)

rant over.

Spirit. I know, I know.

what were you thinking man?!?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That Rockfield bar & lounge in Dundrum.

Pint was so flat after serving with nice head(head disappeared within minutes) that it tasted like TCP, disgusting.
    I actually complained to Guinness themselves about it a while back as they were promoting Guinness in the lounge & bar.

So get onto Guinness themselves for complaints, they actually do investigate these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Worst is in festivals.
    Most disappointing was in the guinness brewry itself, have had about 10 pints there on several occassions, all mediocre at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Butlins Pwhelli, Wales, many years ago. They have a system like that in McDonalds where you put the glass under a dispenser, push a button and it pours into the glass...all in one go!

Also, had a barman pour a pint all in one go in a pub in Cambridge. I was surprised because the Guinness is actually alright in most pubs in Cambridge!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

seansouth wrote:
    Barman proceded to pour flat guinness from a can, then put the container it was in under a soda-stream type machine. :eek:
    That'd be the "Surger", it works by electrifying the beer rather than running gas through it. And it was developed with your money, Guinness drinkers.

Worst pint ever? Ehhhm... probably the Buttery in Trinity, especially after they introduced plastic receptacles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Students Union in NUIM

Friels in Straffan

Both equally vile pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

seansouth wrote:
    The Goblet in Artane for about the last three years, it used to be one of the nicest in there, not any more though.

You really think so? Upstairs or downstairs? I've been drinking guinness there for many years i wouldn't have thought has slipped. Still think they serve a great pint of black

As for the topic, worst pint of ANYTHING can be bought in Eamon Dorans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Indeed I do. The quality has slipped dramatically.

Before the place was done up (we'd be going back to '99 here) it was a lovely pint, since the re-vamp it's has gone on a slippery slide, it's one of the reasons I went on to the Large Bottles.

I mainly drink upstairs. But Harry Byrne's is my main haunt these days.

In fact, that whole pub has gone to the dogs. I know the owners have other pubs, most notable The Big Tree in Swords (not the one on Dorset St). Anyone know how that's doing?

Kyle's in Coolock Village, now there's a pint to savour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don't drink in pubs as much as I used to, but I recently got a terrible stale/bitter tasting pint of Guinness with a yellowish head in the Lansdowne Hotel near Baggot St, Ballsbridge. I only realised just how bad it was when later that week I had 3 delicious perfect creamy pints of Guinness in Mulligans of Poolbeg St.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

JuJuYNWA wrote:
    Students Union in NUIM

Really? Wow, when I was there the pint of Guinness was quality...unless it was bar-ex night and it ended up in a plastic glass but then again you'd be mad to order a Guinness on bar-ex night, not like the bar staff are going to give the pour the proper attention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

High Wycombe Rugby Club Bar - A one-pull pour of pure pìss.
    How's that for alliteration!

Mahaffey's on Pearse Street has a consistently poor pint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What is now Howl at the Moon on Lower Mount Street. Back when it was O'Dwyers. Jesus it was terrible. Every single time we tried it. We rang that Guinness Quality team thing about it and in fairness they showed up afterwards but damned if it made a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the wicked wolf in blackrock is foul, as is the odeon. i would be here all night naming the places where i have had bad guinness. the brefni in blackrock would be one of the best pints ive had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

Once had a barman in a pretentious German 'tavern' in Spain try and convince me that leaving a pint to settle before topping it up wasn't really necessary. This after his snooty colleague got uppity when I asked him what he was at pouring it straight set down flat.

I put it down and walked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Myself and a mate usually drank in Fagans in drumcondra - grand pint especially in the bar. we said we'd give the Jurys at Croke park a try for novelty factor. We had to leave both pints half way through, terrible tripe.. Ran straight back to Fagans with our tails between our legs!

BeerNut wrote:
    Worst pint ever? Ehhhm... probably the Buttery in Trinity, especially after they introduced plastic receptacles.

I've had good and bad pints there before. But it's closed down now as a bar.

Had a rotten pint of guinness in break for the border before, but that's probably to be expected.

+1 for Mulligans, btw, as a great pint location. Especially when Dublin are playing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ansionnachclist

Bruxelles... aww man. Just thinking of that pint I had makes me sick. I got it in the Rock bar area. Absolutely disgusting. I can't describe it. I had to leg it out of there. yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ruprect wrote:
    Most disappointing was in the guinness brewry itself, have had about 10 pints there on several occassions, all mediocre at best.

True!
    It's not that it's undrinkable like some places. It's just that people get high expectations and surely if there is one place in the world you'll get a good pint it's here.
    Maybe, the tourists never notice so no rush to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Irish pubs abroad are often the worst. I bought one in the Irish Bar in Skopje (what was I thinking?!) and it was served in the local fashion: in a heavy tankard, foaming over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MrSquishSquash

In Edinburgh two years ago in a pub called Shakespeare i think, it was a real inner city old Scots pub!

As for the Guinness, it was definitely watered down, the pint never settled so you were drinking a Lightish brown pint that tasted like muck! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ansionnachclist

I actually got a nice pint of Guinness in the Temple Bar in Amsterdam. Was surprised, actually come to think about it, I don't think that I've had a bad pint in Amsterdam.

But was disappointed in some places where they only sold the small cans :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

worst pint was my first night in a night club, i thought i'd look old or something so i went for the guinness, never again.
    if i ever see plastic glasses i go straight for the smithwicks i'f there's nothing good, bottled and german :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

In fairness, it's unusual to get a bad Guinness these days. Their quality control is pretty good. Outside of Ireland it's a different story, although, strangely, I do miss that sour Park Royal Guinness since they started importing the real stuff into the UK from Ireland. The "pint in one go" dispenser pours extra slowly so that the bar staff can't mess it up by pouring it too quickly. The pints are usually ok, they settle a bit as they're poured.

And Amsterdam is really a Murphy's town...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Harbourmaster in the IFSC - dunno why, theys ell a bit of it so the pipes should be OK :confused:

Thomas Reads bars out in Dublin airport :eek:

Best pint would have to go to Mulligans,the Duke or Keoghes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement