Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac

• 12-07-2007 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Long and boring, peaked in the after the first hour and then just a struggle to watch with an unsatisfyin ending. 5/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Long and boring, peaked in the after the first hour and then just a struggle to watch with an unsatisfyin ending. 5/10

You mean there wasn't a shootout at the cake factory and the baddy didn't get skewered by a spike, whereupon the cop smiles and says "sish kebab mother****er"?

I can see how that could upset some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

You mean there wasn't a shootout at the cake factory and the baddy didn't get skewered by a spike, whereupon the cop smiles and says "sish kebab mother****er"?

No, I think he means nothing of any interest whatsoever happened....which is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

zuutroy wrote:
    No, I think he means nothing of any interest whatsoever happened....which is the truth.

I don't see how that is the truth since many people clearly feel otherwise about it.

There's a difference between expressing an opinion (as we all are doing here) and dictating the facts (as some believe they are doing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

These posts have been moved from Film Reviews. If you're going to post in Film Reviews, read the rules, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I thought the film was slightly over-long and lacked a bit of pace at times but never for a minute found it boring or devoid of anything of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone who thought this was too long will be happy to hear Fincher is planning an even longer director's cut on dvd. :D

Anyway I'm no Fincher fanboy but I thought the film was brilliant, not at all what I was expecting but that's a good thing. It'll definitely be making my top 10 at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watched it the other night.
    Bit long allright,some scenes were superfluous and could have been removed.
    Good film ,boils along nicely,very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is not a masterpiece, but is certainly a very good film.
    My complaint is the amount of people I have heard criticising it for a lack of closure. To those people I say this:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭tritium

Thought it was pretty good. Not a great film, but good nonetheless. My biggest gripe was a couple of scenes where they try to build up tension only for nothing to happen, but having being warned in advance that it wasn't exactly an action movie I ended up enjoying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Damn good movie 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

One of the top films of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Petey2006 wrote:
    One of the top films of the year so far.
    Same.

I loved it, certainly not Fincher's best, but still brilliant all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

[the hype for the movie had suggested that the cartoonist initially figured out the cipher but when I saw that he didn't do it but some other couple I was very disappointed, he didn't figure anything out really, graysmith had even less to with it then we thought and really the only reason he got so far was that he was one of the few people to sit down and read all the files, basically it seemed lack of communication bewtween police departments was why the killer was never caught(and getting evidence rather then suspicion), I mean they had this discussion with him where they all knew they'd got their guy yet and they had list of reasons why it was this guy but they could never get him. It seemed strange that hand writting could decide whether you charged somebody or not.
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Film of the year for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Saw it, liked it, Gyllenhaal was good.

But
    what was the deal with that guy from the film theatre? If his handwriting from the poster matched the Zodiacs letters... then how could the other guy be the Zodiac?!
    Were they in it together?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Too true Guther, some dopes aren't happy unless the above happens in movies, This is Fincher's best movie since Se7en and film of the year so far for me, the killings where very realistic. Great performances fro Jake, Robert D & Mark R. Remember this was a real case that was never really solved, although Fincher gives us who he thinks did it.

Finchers next outing looks interesting The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. And even more interesting is Rendezvous with Rama based on the Arthur C Clark sci fi novel.

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Just finished on Sky there, what happened with the woman who was picked up with her baby on the road by the zodiac?

Surely she was the one who would give an easy Identification? Was she too traumatized to go through the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Just finished on Sky there, what happened with the woman who was picked up with her baby on the road by the zodiac?

Surely she was the one who would give an easy Identification? Was she too traumatized to go through the process?

Holy 11 year old thread! it might not have been him read more on attached
    http://www.zodiackiller.com/Johns.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

17 posts in 2007 on Zodiac?

Boards must have been **** back then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dots1982 wrote: »

She did. And the Zodiac took credit for it. But her descriptions didn't match the others - which weren't a perfect match anyway. And as implied in the film, he may have been full of sh*t since he never mentioned that crime until after it appeared in the newspapers. Fincher had different actors play the Zodiac in each of the scenes to reflect this possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Newest thread I could find on Zodiac

Taunting ‘Zodiac Killer’ Cypher Letter Decoded By Experts After 50 Years
    California’s notorious Zodiac Killer, the subject of numerous films, television series, podcasts and books over the last half-century, has finally had one of his taunting messages decoded.

A letter sent to the San Francisco Chronicle was finally cracked by experts, revealing a message in which the serial murderer mocked efforts to find him.

“I hope you are having lots of fun in trying to catch me,” the killer wrote in the coded message, which was sent to the newspaper in 1969. “I am not afraid of the gas chamber because it will send me to paradise all the sooner because I now have enough slaves to work for me.”

The letter contained a mixture of letters, numbers and symbols, and has been studied by numerous authors, criminologists and detectives over the years. It still doesn’t reveal the name of the unknown killer, who emerged in Northern California in the 1960s and 1970s.

The decoding was done in hopes that it might provide new clues as to the Zodiac’s identity. The killer has been tied to at least 37 murders, many of them young couples in rural areas.

“Last weekend, a team I’m on solved the 340 (the police name for the note) and submitted it to the FBI,” coding expert David Oranchak told the Chronicle on Friday. “They have confirmed the solution. No joke! This is the real deal.”

An FBI spokesperson in San Francisco office confirmed that breakthrough.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/taunting-zodiac-killer-letter-finally-decoded-after-50-years-1234655495/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

17 posts in 2007 on Zodiac?

Boards must have been **** back then.

It peaked in 2005

Source; have been here on and off since 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It peaked in 2005

Source; have been here on and off since 2000

Peak was 2008-2011 for me. :pac:

Only rewatched Zodiac recently on Netflix, it's a tough going watch but it's still fascinating, especially RDJ's character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Peak was 2008-2011 for me. :pac:

Only rewatched Zodiac recently on Netflix, it's a tough going watch but it's still fascinating, especially RDJ's character.

I got the ride off a couple of Boardsies around 2005 so maybe that's why I went with that era ;)

You found it tough going in the sense of the subject matter?

• ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I got the ride off a couple of Boardsies around 2005 so maybe that's why I went with that era ;)

Yeah, hitchhiking was more common back then.

The deciphered note was disappointing, but one less mystery about the likely deceased miscreant is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ShineOn7 wrote: »

You found it tough going in the sense of the subject matter?

Not because of the subject matter. If I could use a word to describe the story it would be sense. A lot of separate threads going at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah, hitchhiking was more common back then.

The deciphered note was disappointing, but one less mystery about the likely deceased miscreant is good.

I remember hearing that Zodiac claimed his name was in one of his letters. Probably all shi*e looking back.

He enjoyed taunting police but was smart enough to know what cryptography was (in a day and age before the internet) We now know it was some cypher used by the US Military in the 1950s.

Can we really place much faith that he did genuinely put his name in one, or at best, some random fake name like Tony Smith.

• Did they subsequently discover it was based on the 1950's military cypher after cracking it. Still indicates he was in the military possibly.

I think they said the rest of the codes are too small a sample to allow them to crack them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeah it was a cipher in a 50s US army manual or something.

This one of the guys who cracked it.

• Advertisement

• Interesting reminder that the Zodiac responded quickly when the first code was cracked.

It'll be a good indication the earth is rid of him if there is silence. That's some closure.

It's hard to think someone that cracked would have simply gone underground. Probably died soon after his last contact.

Advertisement