Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Now ladies please remember that being preganat is not just a phyical state of change but also an emotional one and we may have to give some toughts to splitting this thread into two, one for the early stages and one for those who are
    close to the end.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone in the last stages of your first pregnancy, do something nice for yourself. Whether its a quiet meal out, a walk in the sun, a pampering facial. Just be nice to yourself. Youre life is going to change, and therell be a lot of fuss in the next while, so now is the time to look after YOU.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

I think it is good to have a moan as well. There are many good things about pregnancy like I never felt like I had done something so important as I do now everytime I go to bed. I tell myself: 'today, as well as my daily job, I have made a bit of my future son, and now he is a little closer to be born'. Now, that feeling is worth living for.
    But it would not be fair to lie to new mums and tell them the pregnancy is absolutely marvelous... you can be more or less lucky, but you have to be ready to go through physical and emotional changes. Some people look great pregnant and other look disastrous, some have nearly no aches and others are in bits.
    Personaly I had my fair share... I had a miscarriage, but very lucky I was pregnant three months later. At the begining I felt sick, I had sugar lows in the train (and no, no one gives you a seat even if you are on the floor), I got a good few spots and looked in bits... My bump does not look like in the models, I have actually widened everywhere and my arms look prety big too.
    And now, that I was starting to accept myself and look a little better (spots are going and I felt less tired) surprise! I get this sort of SPD (though I cant complain cos it is not that bad).
    All in all, I would do it all again, just for the moment when I saw my baby in that 3D scan... seriously, whatever you go through it is more that totally worth it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Elen wrote:
    I think it is good to have a moan as well. There are many good things about pregnancy like I never felt like I had done something so important as I do now everytime I go to bed. I tell myself: 'today, as well as my daily job, I have made a bit of my future son, and now he is a little closer to be born'. Now, that feeling is worth living for.

All in all, I would do it all again, just for the moment when I saw my baby in that 3D scan... seriously, whatever you go through it is more that totally worth it!!

I like the sound of these two points!!

Now I'm gonna take my freaked-out self outta here before I change my mind and buy a puppy instead :D

Good luck ladies !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Well ladies (and gents :) ), we had our first scan today. It al went well... doubly well! We are having twins! I am delighted and overwhlemed and happy and shocked... we did UI, not IVF, so our chances of twins wasn't that much bigger than normal, but there they were, twin 1 at 10.6 and twin 2 at 10.7mm, so exactly on target (am 7 weeks 2 days pregnant). Fraternal twins, so less chances of complications, but I am still concerned. Glad now we decided to go private for this first pregnancy!

Have a GP appointment at 9 weeks 5 days and then first consultants appointment at 12 weeks 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Thanks Folks,

Thaedydal, perhaps there should be a new tread started each month for those due in 9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi ladies,

I'm not pregnant but I do have a 17 month old daughter - good luck with your imminent deliveries!

Shelli - you were saying there about pregnancy being 40 weeks, but that your doctor said you might go early. Well, don't latch onto that idea that you might go early. My doctor told me I might go early as the babys head was engaged from around 30 weeks onwards, but lo and behold, I delivered at 41+5 (12 days over!) and I only delivered at that stage because I'd had induction of labour. Those last 12 days of pregnancy were just nightmarish as I had clung on to my due date too literally. Don't expect anything on your due date!

I'll be interested to read all of your birth stories - I'm off to college in September to become a midwife :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What a lovely thread:) Given that I'm all done having babies :( I love to hear other peoples preggy/ baby stories. Good luck to you all, looking forward to your stories (if you don't mind non- preggies nosying in).
    Agree with the due date advice though my first came at 34 weeks and my second at 38 weeks so my advice is pack your bags early!
    Embee good on ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

siochain that might get a bit messy and I don't think we have that many expectant parents atm.

I always found it easier to think of it as 10 lunar months, as it is 280 days roughly.
    It can also depend on who long a cycle you had before hand as it can be between 27 and 32 days.

End of the day it is up to the babe to decide when it is done.

My first came 2 days before the hospital date, a week before my gps date and
    on the day of my calcultions.

My second was 9 days over due in a sweltering hot july and I had to be induced.

It's like a cake, each mix is different, each oven is different but when it's done it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thaedydal wrote:
    It's like a cake, each mix is different, each oven is different but when it's done it's done.

LOL

Silja

I'm really happy for you, put the feet up and try not to worry!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Aw Silja, I'm really delighted for you, thats great news!!

I don't think there's any need for more than one thread really, I think even if you split it in two everyone would just end up reading and posting on both regardless of when they are due, I still love hearing early pregnancy stories and I know when I was in the earlier stages I liked to talk to people in the latter stages and those who had recently given birth.

I'm in no way sticking to my EDD at all, or even think I'll go early (although I would love to at this stage :D), all my family have been at least a week over and have all had fairly big babs, the smallest I know of being 8.5lbs, I myself was 9 and my bro was 9.5, my OH was around 8.5 he thinks, so I'm kind of expecting a big squatter LOL

LOL SHelli

My son was 8lb 6. That Doesnt seem huge but his frame was huge and tbh his head! He never had that really new baby look about him. He has just turned 7 and already in age 10 clothes :eek:

Think this ones a big one too, possibly not as big but they put me a week ahead of my dates with the scan and and at the 3d one she said he was quite chubby which is unusal at 24 weeks as normally they have little or no fat on them at that stage.

Think i am correct with my dates though cos have been having scans since 6 weeks pregnant and they could have seen if he was much older at that early stage!

Well, first of all congrats SILJA!!!! that is great news! double the fun.
    I am delighted that all is well

My mum was always on time, so I hope to be too... I was about 7 pounds, but my brother was nearly 10 (and now he is over 6ft), and my little baby looks like a very tall fellow too.

How are all the preggers today?
    I am feeling a lot better from my pelvis and I am sooo looking forward to Friday to be off for two weeks.
    I still get no seat on the train, even though I do look nackered and my bump is big enough

BTW do you have any names for the babies yet?

And I do agree we should all be in the same tread, the more veterans can help the newbies

We have been calling ours Mikey from day one. But NO-ONE likes it, and this has put me off, even though out of habit i still call him Mikey.

I'm stressed up to the eyeballs looking for a place to live. The rents are crazy! Went to see the first one i have even been offered a viewing last night and its a shoe box, 1400 per month.

ALthough the location is just what i needed, i am very pressured into taking it as have been sleeping on my mothers couch 2 weeks and my back and sciatica are killing me :( As well as that i dont think i will get anywhere else to take kids, dogs etc.

It must be nice for the price... I thought reting was going down in price...
    whereabouts are you looking?

You found somewhere to let you have your dog?? Thats really hard! Well done...even if it is a bit pricey.

I'm very tired today, but good apart from that, was weepy for no reason last night...oh was laughin at me, it is kinda funny though! :D

Trinity, I really like Mikey, my cousin called her little boy Mikey, he's nearly 4 now, and it really suits him, I wasn't sure about it first time I heard it, but it really grew on me.
    I had the same problem when I told my family the name I picked, my Dad said he didn't like it at all, he's a very dedicated Dub and said it was a culchie name! LOL. He came around though, especially since we told him the second name was after him! Tadhg Anthony.

My OH had a little brother called Timothy that passed away at the age of 8mths a few years ago. I really wanted an Irish name, so we were going with an Irish first name and Timothy as a second name. I had settled on Tadhg becuase I liked it, and when I looked up the meaning the English translation is Timothy, so it kinda feels like it was meant to be and we're both really happy with it....culchie name or not!! LOL It's great fun explaining the pronunciation to all the English side of the family.....Tiger without the "er" :D

The thing is that you will always find people who do not like the name... it is bond to happen. I do no like though when people try to get involved int he choice, it is hard enough for the two of us to get in agreement!

Next time (fingers crossed there is one!), i'm not telling anyone till babs arrives, no one says anything when you just introduce the new arrival.

Elen wrote:
    It must be nice for the price... I thought reting was going down in price...
    whereabouts are you looking?

Its not really nice at all :(

But all i could get. If i go out further i could get a nicer one but i really need to be closish to his school, he missed a lot last term and i am only my last warning with him!

Looking in north dublin city.

To any of the ladies we have put off pregnancy - just look at the photos on Roundy Mooneys thread of the 2 new arrivals since last night and forget everything else we said :D .

Girls that will be us soon, you first Shelli :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Best of lyck to you all and your new families to be!

You may think it;s really horrible now ...not being yourself... not having your own body etc.....soon it will be all a distant memory! :)

Ive had two one was at 6lb2oz the other 7lbs both arrived early thank god! But remember when they arrive thats when the fun starts!

they are 6 and 4 now and never cease to entertain, challenge, amuse, give joy, bewilder,etc. the list could go on and on.......

you are all tempting me to go again now!:confused: Pregnancy and birth is great but hard but will be rewarded for many years to come!

I cant wait mumies! you are making all of us jealous!!

My baby is a bit lazy today, I always worry if he does not move much

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smellytinker

Hi All,

Just a quick one for all you Mums and Mums to be -

Our first baby is due in less then 8 weeks -Wahey! We've had great fun watching the "Sprog" growing, and now kick and moving lots. As a big thank you to my Wife I want to get her something after the birth, as from what I've heard and seen so far she will without doubt deserve something a little more then Tesco flowers…

Any Idea's would be greatly appreciated! Is a feeding chair a lame idea?
    Thanks!

Smellytinker, that is a really nice idea! whatever it is she will love that you appreciate what she has done.

I think some jewlery would be nice, but also a voucher for a shopping spree, as I have heard many women need to pamper themselves after birth to feel they look better.

Hi All,

Just a quick one for all you Mums and Mums to be -

Our first baby is due in less then 8 weeks -Wahey! We've had great fun watching the "Sprog" growing, and now kick and moving lots. As a big thank you to my Wife I want to get her something after the birth, as from what I've heard and seen so far she will without doubt deserve something a little more then Tesco flowers…

Any Idea's would be greatly appreciated! Is a feeding chair a lame idea?
    Thanks!

I think an eternity ring is the old fashioned pressie from hubby to wife. At least make it something she can keep forever, thats just for her. Sure you would prob be buying a feeding chair anyway, so make it something unexpected.

Trinity1 wrote:
    I think an eternity ring is the old fashioned pressie from hubby to wife. At least make it something she can keep forever, thats just for her. Sure you would prob be buying a feeding chair anyway, so make it something unexpected.
    Yeah I guess we'll need the feeding chair anyway. The problem with jewellery is that we have a "big" anniversary that falls just before the due date so was going to take the easy jewellery option for that!! Shopping spree might get out of hand!

What about these pampering days?

Trinity1 wrote:
    The eternity ring was traditionally given to the wife on the birth of the first child. Which is why guys used to come into the jewellers I worked in and ask for Maternity rings.:)

KtK wrote:
    The eternity ring was traditionally given to the wife on the birth of the first child. Which is why guys used to come into the jewellers I worked in and ask for Maternity rings.:)

LOL KtK.

Smelly, there are a lot of day spas out there now, you dont have to stay overnight.

What area are you in? Powerscourt is supposed to be amazing, may be a bit pricey. There is one on Mary Street in town, they give you the works.

KtK wrote:
    Those rings look really pricey online! I think it best to save a few spondoolies for when the Sprog arrives!

• Advertisement

Those rings look really pricey online! I think it best to save a few spondoolies for when the Sprog arrives!
    Go for cubic zirconia instead on diamonds then. Very affordable, try a jewellers. :) Gluck with the lil one!

Advertisement