Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Dual Carriageways in Ireland

• 03-07-2007 5:39pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK - now this may be a strange question. But I'd like to see how many posters know when the first dual carriageways were built in Ireland. I know that the very first stretch was a narrow 1km affair between White's Cross and Foxrock chruch on the N11, built in the 1950s (and rebuilt and widened in 2000)

The recently upgraded Naas dual carriageway was also one of the first, built in stages between 1963 and 1969.

There were two or three very short stretches outside Cork city.

Another old stretch of dual carriageway is between Limerick and Shannon.

Anyone got dates for these or know any other early duallers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes indeed you are correct...although the first one was for Donkey carts in the left hand carrigeway and bicycles and the Car in the right hand one....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The first dual section in Foxrock was built in something like 1939-40, I think the Bluebell part of the Naas road was also in the 1940's. Wesley Johnston's site suggests that the Sydenham Bypass is Belfast's oldest dual-carriageway having been begun in 1938.

Oireachtas debates in 1944 envisaged

Class 1 roads would be of the dual carriageway type, having two 24 ft. carriageways, a 14 ft. central strip and two 14 ft. verges flanked by cycle tracks and footpaths on each side. Class 2 roads would have a 24 ft. carriageway, two 14 ft. verges and two cycle tracks and footpaths; class 3 roads, a 20 ft. carriageway, two verges 10 to 12 ft. wide, and one cycle track and footpaths; and class 4 roads, an 18 ft. carriageway and two 6 ft. verges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd love some early pics of early DCs and the likes of the Santry and Naas bypasses. Local libraries maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ ya Id love to see those myself

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

O'Connell Street? Baggot Street? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

early ones in wicklow were between Kilmacanogue and Fassaroe, and between Glen of the Downs and Newtown - both built in the early 80s afaik with median crossings that might as well have been designed to kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Ballymun was built with the Dual Carriageway from Griffith Avenue to Santry Avenue (BTW it was always Ballymun Cross there - unill some dopes built private hosing and a hotel and renamed it Santry Cross). That was 67 I think. At the same time the Malahide Road and the Finglas Road were likewise converted into DC.

The Longmile Road was a DC in the 40's ( there was a postcard in the Indo recently showing Travelers on it as it was being built).

We know about the Nass DC. Tallaght Bypass was the late 1970's/early 80's. Santry bypass early 80's (81???). The Western Parkway was a closed DC from Firhouse to Nass Road (?) in the early 80's...

Bray Road... Donneybrook to Stillorgan must be the 70's.

Funny there was a lot of DC built around Dublin when the Westlink came in... Chapelizod bypass was the last link in a DC that ran from Lucan to Heuston and that was early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Longmile Road was a DC in the 40's ( there was a postcard in the Indo recently showing Travelers on it as it was being built)
    1950s?

When was the Belgard Road dualled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

What parts of the route between Bunratty/Newmarket-on-Fergus and Shannon were significantly new build even the parts not dual carriageway? When were they built? Dualling was certainly still being done along a number of stretches (i.e. other than Bunratty bypass) in the early 1980s.

When was the Ennis Road out of Limerick towards Setrights dualled/built?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Belgard Road was dualled between 1981-1984

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Santry bypass was opened in late 1983 or early 1984. Originally, it only ran from Whitehall to Coolock Lane and was extended in 1985 to the airport and renamed the M1.

Palmerstown was bypassed in 1984. Lucan followed in 1988 and Chapelizod in 1990.

The Finglas road from the Royal Oak pub to Mellowes Road was dualled in 1972, forming a bypass of Finglas village.

When was the short stretch of dual carriageway just north of Swords opened - was it the 70s?

On the N11, the Bray to Kilmacanogue section was dualled in 1973 and from Glen Of The Downs to Kilpedder in 1974.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Would I be right in saying that the first HDQC/ Motorway was the M50 in 1984?

E92 wrote:
    No. The first motorway was the M7 Naas Bypass in 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, but the smallest Dual Carriageway is in Youghal town, connecting the two main streets. It's about 30 metres long.

E92 wrote:
    M50 opened in 1996 although the Westlink Bridge part opened several years earlier.

The M50 Opened in the following stages:

Westlink Toll Bridge (Blanchardstown to Palmerstown) March 1990
    Western Parkway (Palmerstown to Red Cow) May 1990
    Western Parkway (Red Cow to Tallaght) December 1990
    Northern Cross (Blanchardstown to Santry) December 1996
    Southern Cross (Tallaght to Dundrum) July 2001
    South Eastern Motorway (Dundrum to Leopardstown) November 2004
    South Eastern Motorway (Leopardstown to M11) April 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JupiterKid wrote:
    There were two or three very short stretches outside Cork city.

Midleton-Carrigtohill was probably 1970s. Midleton bypass mid-1980s.

Lower Glanmire Road was probably 1970s.

South City Link Road "the motorway" was about 1984.

South Ring Road (first phase Kinsale Road - Douglas) circa 1989.

Bandon Road (Chetwynd) - 1980s, however this was merely cheating. They built a new S2 and then made it one carriageway and the old windy road the other carriageway. It would probably have been better to separate local and through traffic.

Mallow bypass mid-1980s.

There are some urban sections that are more traffic measures than roads measures, including the 'drive on the right' section on Parnell Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

steve-o wrote:
    O'Connell Street? Baggot Street? :)
    O'Connell Street was quite open (monuments only) until the 1980s refurbishment. I suspect Baggot Street is an 'original'.
    At the same time the Malahide Road and the Finglas Road were likewise converted into DC.
    I imagine the Malahide Road (Coolock Bypass) was built at the same time as the houses. The Darndale section was I think 1984 (there used to be a plaque).
    We know about the Nass DC.
    Don't forget the Newbridge-Naas DC!
    The Western Parkway was a closed DC from Firhouse to Nass Road (?) in the early 80's...
    Wasn't this only a single carriageway? What was the story behind it?
    Bray Road... Donneybrook to Stillorgan must be the 70's.
    I think this was built in lots of stages. I think the Cabinteely Bypass dates from the late 1980s
    JupiterKid wrote:
    When was the short stretch of dual carriageway just north of Swords opened - was it the 70s?
    I'm not sure about the non-bypass bit, but I understand the bypass is from the mid-1980s - I remember reading and article on the slipform kerbs in my brother's Engineer's Journals.
    ned78 wrote:
    I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, but the smallest Dual Carriageway is in Youghal town, connecting the two main streets. It's about 30 metres long.
    Traffic measure rather than road measure.

Bray Road... Donneybrook to Stillorgan must be the 70's
    I don't think some of it was done until the 1980s (i.e. the section along by St John of God Hospital and Stillorgan village by-pass).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The Long Mile Road was dualled in 1967 according to this:

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0227/D.0227.196704060029.html

... which would suggest that it was done as part of the Naas Road scheme.

The Long Mile Road was dualled in 1967 according to this:

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0227/D.0227.196704060029.html

... which would suggest that it was done as part of the Naas Road scheme.
    Interesting debate but they refer to the 'completion' of the Long Mile Road. As popebenny16 says in his post, one of the postcards that came with the Indo recently depicted a group of traditional travellers on that road in the 1950s (possible prior to it being opened to traffic). We were interested in the postcards and I remember remarking to the lads at work, that it must have been one of the earliest dual carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't think some of it was done until the 1980s (i.e. the section along by St John of God Hospital and Stillorgan village by-pass).

The Stillorgan village bypass was built in the late 1970's. The section from Mount Merrion ave to Trees Rd remained single carriageway after other sections were completed, perhaps until 1982 or so. .

The Naas to Newbridge section of dual carriageway that goes past The Red House (now bypassed by the Newbridge bypass) must be quite old - maybe the 1970s? Anyone know when exactly?

The Swords bypass opened in 1984 or thereabouts, but the section of dual carriageway north of the bypass is much older - 1970s vintage.

The line of the Present M50 from Greenhills to Tallaght was an unopened single carriageway road that ran between the Tallaght Road at Spawell and the Greenhills Road parallel to the old Tymon lane. It was built at some stage in the 1980s, but was never used and was later subsumed into the M50. There must be a story behind this road.

The N11 Stillorgan Dual Carriageway opened in stages - from Donnybrook to Mount Merrion Avenue about 1975/6, Stillorgan Bypass (Mount Merrion to Whites Cross) in October 1979, Cabinteely Bypass 1984, Loughlinstown Dual Carriageway - 1960s or early 70s?

The N71 Bandon road dual carriageway shows up in a 1975 Michelin map, so it must be pretty old, as does the N8 Lower Glanmire Road stretch and the N25 between Carrigtwohill to Midleton.

Before it was subsumed into the N4 Chapelizod bypas and widened, the Con Colbert Road in Inchicore was an early dualler - 1960s? The adjecent St. John's Road was also dualled early on, around 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

Ballymun was built with the Dual Carriageway from Griffith Avenue to Santry Avenue (BTW it was always Ballymun Cross there - unill some dopes built private hosing and a hotel and renamed it Santry Cross). That was 67 I think.

There's a framed aerial photo of the Ballymun dual-carraigeway hanging on the corridor leading to the library at the UCD buildings on Earlsfort Terrace (soon to be handed back to the NCH. If you get a chance, it's quite interesting.

This is turning out to be an interesting thread. Where do you get your info jupiter? The unused single carriageway (N50?) is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The old N1 north of Swords dates from at least the 70's

Artane roundabout to Tayto in Coolock was done in the late 60's. The old road routed through Coolock village and down by the entrance to Cadburys. The carriageway was extended to Darndale when Darndale was built in the 70's.

Any info on the N81 stretches of dualler from Templeogue to Tallaght West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Happy Bertie

Zoney wrote:
    What parts of the route between Bunratty/Newmarket-on-Fergus and Shannon were significantly new build even the parts not dual carriageway? When were they built? Dualling was certainly still being done along a number of stretches (i.e. other than Bunratty bypass) in the early 1980s.

When was the Ennis Road out of Limerick towards Setrights dualled/built?

Maybe JupiterKid's 1975 Michelin map could show what was dualed on the Limerick to Shannon road, I've heard that prior that in the 60s and 70s the quality of the road to Shannon was terrible.

This reminds me to ask the question, when did the standard for S2 roads with hard shoulders with yellow dashes on the sides begin? Was it in 50s or 60s? This begs a second question when were most of the current S2 roads with hard shoulders built? (like the ones between Dublin to Cork/Limerick) I know the horse track version of the route may have there since Cromwell but I'm referring to current "modern" i.e. 12ft lanes with 9ft shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

What about the Quays surly these are the original dual carrage way.

Advertisement