Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Those Bajorans get on my nerves. That is one reason why I dont like DS9. Especially the silly Kai and Vedek stupid religion episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Those Bajorans get on my nerves. That is one reason why I dont like DS9. Especially the silly Kai and Vedek stupid religion episodes.

What your problem with a spritural race in the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

LilKitty wrote:

Yes they had a female as a captain but she was such a boring character that it hardly mattered and the writers couldn't even agree on her personality half the time, one episode she's be banging on about the prime directive and in the next one she'd be openly ignoring it so her crew could increase their chances of getting home!

I think the two main characters (janeway and chacokta--- sorry about the spelling, the indian first officer) were poor cause the writers changed their characters so much. I reckon the doctor, tuvok and neelix were the strongest characters in it. I like the tom paris, 7/9 and torres characters too, it just the two main ones were poor, oh and kim was bad too.

The religion in DS9 did bug me at first, but one day, after watching an episode ( cannot remember which one) i changed my mind and i saw what the writers were getting at. After that episode i liked the idea of the religion in it. But i will admit, it did bug me for the first year or two.

DEEP SPACE NINE
    NUMBER 1 STAR TREK.

TNG is leading so far---that is not really a shock, I think everyone has watched at least a TNG episode in their life ( talking about non star trek fans here), I know my parents ( they hate star trek) have watched a picard episode, oh, they were pretending not to be watching , and you could tell they loved the episode. You can tell non star trek fans ( mostly females) hate the other star treks but have loved a few TNG episodes. So i guess it should be no.1.

DS9 id 2nd.

I saw a good quote for DS9 somewhere, it said that DS9 was the best show on tv that never get noticed, or something like that. But you get the gist.

I will admit I'm a bit surprise that TAS - The Animated Series has got any votes. Not because it was crap but because not that many people have seen it and because it's animated and only had 20 something episodes it'd be very hard to compete with the others.

• Advertisement

triple h wrote:
    TNG is leading so far---that is not really a shock, I think everyone has watched at least a TNG episode in their life ( talking about non star trek fans here), I know my parents ( they hate star trek) have watched a picard episode, oh, they were pretending not to be watching , and you could tell they loved the episode. You can tell non star trek fans ( mostly females) hate the other star treks but have loved a few TNG episodes. So i guess it should be no.1.

DS9 id 2nd.

I saw a good quote for DS9 somewhere, it said that DS9 was the best show on tv that never get noticed, or something like that. But you get the gist.

Just wondering, why did you use a Cardasian(is that how you spell it?) avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

LilKitty wrote:
    I will admit I'm a bit surprise that TAS - The Animated Series has got any votes.

Theres an animated series?:eek: Never heard of it until now.

Anyway, TOS is the best of the bunch imo.

thrill wrote:
    Theres an animated series?:eek: Never heard of it until now.

Anyway, TOS is the best of the bunch imo.

If you love TOS you might like TAS because it's based on the same ship and crew. It was made in the 70s and each episode(as far as I know) was close to 30 mins long. Actually not all the same characters are in there but the majority are with the voice actors from TOS.

LilKitty wrote:
    Just wondering, why did you use a Cardasian(is that how you spell it?) avatar?

Cardassian.
    I picked it for two reasons 1) I love DS9 and the Cardassians were in DS9 a lot. and 2) In boards.ie i mainly go to the wrestling forum more so and you know the way you have good wrestlers ( baby face) and bad wrestlers (heel), well i reckoned there were too many baby face posters and i reckoned the place needed a heel, so i picked a bad dude for my avatar. I did pick Jerry Seinfeld at the start cause i look like him ( so everyone in my family says), but acting like a heel you need a bad picture.
    God, i guess you are sorry for asking now.

DS9 DS9 DS9 DS9 DS9 DS9........

triple h wrote:
    Cardassian.
    I picked it for two reasons 1) I love DS9 and the Cardassians were in DS9 a lot. and 2) In boards.ie i mainly go to the wrestling forum more so and you know the way you have good wrestlers ( baby face) and bad wrestlers (heel), well i reckoned there were too many baby face posters and i reckoned the place needed a heel, so i picked a bad dude for my avatar. I did pick Jerry Seinfeld at the start cause i look like him ( so everyone in my family says), but acting like a heel you need a bad picture.
    God, i guess you are sorry for asking now.

DS9 DS9 DS9 DS9 DS9 DS9........

Well I guess that explains your username, wasn't Triple H a wrestler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ill have to agree that DS9 is the best. TNG didnt have a main main running story arc like DS9 had which was what made it so much better,

TNG had amazing 10/10 episodes but then again all star treks have had that except for TAS.

Ds9 wins it

EDIT: Orginal post time is 19-05-2004, 22:12

So that means that in 3 years only 306 people have voted on this

User45701 wrote:
    EDIT: Orginal post time is 19-05-2004, 22:12

So that means that in 3 years only 306 people have voted on this

Well on a board like this it's not surprising you're not going to get 1000s of people voting on a topic like this, now if it were a sci fi site then I'd expect it but then you'd need that many members to begin with. This site has over 100,000 members but then again a sci fi site would probably not be nearly as large in terms of forums and members! Although if anyone knows of any that have at least 1000 members I'd be interesting in hearing about it.:)

P.S Just noticed you're the one who started the topic, so I can understand that you'd be disappointed in not having more people vote on it.

I reckon Kirk and the boys should be in 3rd place. The reason they are not in 3rd is because there would not be many of the kirk generation coming in here. Voyager before Kirk is a crime. My order----

1) DEEP SPACE NINE
    2)the next generation
    3)kirk and the boys
    4)enterprise
    5)voyager

never saw the animated series

triple h wrote:
    I reckon Kirk and the boys should be in 3rd place. The reason they are not in 3rd is because there would not be many of the kirk generation coming in here. Voyager before Kirk is a crime. My order----

1) DEEP SPACE NINE
    2)the next generation
    3)kirk and the boys
    4)enterprise
    5)voyager

never saw the animated series

Some people would say Deep Space 9 wasn't a proper Star Trek series because it wasn't based on a ship! Not me but there are those out there.

I'm more concerned that you think Enterprise is better than Voyager, Voyager may have been a bit corny at times and even boring but Enterprise was even more boring!

Its hard to judge shows as a whole, as a whole ds9 was the best. but TNG VOY ENT And TOS all had some 10/10 amazing episodes so i find it hard to rank the others, hmmm

I didnt like the early TNG it was , well it just didnt feel like kirk and star trek.

TOS was amazing but its older but it has william shtaner so it should really be no1 just because of that.

ENT took too much flak they had a good show with allot of very good episodes

VOY Also took too much flak but it was ok but the good episodes it had where amazing episodes

So instead im going to go on re-watchabality
    This is the order that if i had the time i would watch then back to back in this priority

1.DS9 (It has a running story arc)
    2.TOS (Im just waiting for the DVD of the enhanced episodes of TOS)
    3.TNG (Eh some of the early episodes where really bad but its been a long time since i seen them all almost 3/4 years so why notr watch them again then i can bump TNG to 5th)
    4.VOY (because i watched ENT last month)
    5.ENT (loved the xindi conflict and the 3 parters from season 4)
    6.TAS (Watched it onece, every episode)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

OK all these series have one thing in common, they didn't go anywhere and they did nothing! As some trekkies know there is a "GNDN" button on the deck of the TNG Enterprise (set) which was probably on all subsequent series. GNDN = Goes Nowhere Does Nothing - now if that aint the mother of all levellers!! That said it's still TNG (from Season 3 - 7) for me all the way, some of those early episodes being crappish due to ridiculous puritanical TV censorship laws in the States back in '87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 risaphoenix

Voyager, i know a ton of people complain about it but i've been watching it again and i don't think that the whole going home thing is a negative, i think it makes it almost more...human. it adds a sense of desparation to the whole thing.

I'm also a pretty big TNG fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

DS9 for me. TNG was good but all it was, was disjointed episodes with very little continuity between episodes. DS9 at least had a few story arcs that really played out well across the seasons (well after about season 3 anyway).

Dacelonid wrote:
    DS9 for me. TNG was good but all it was, was disjointed episodes with very little continuity between episodes. DS9 at least had a few story arcs that really played out well across the seasons (well after about season 3 anyway).
    I wasn't really into Star Trek story arcs, not long ones anyway. I was more into a new thing on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Just can't stand DS9, love the original series, but Picard... he's just perfect. Even got me into Earl Grey, hot. Had to vote for Next Generation.

• Advertisement

He may have got me into Earl Grey aswell but he is no Kirk,
    Kirk was the best captin and william shatner is the greatest actor that has ever lived.

DS9 was just the best series

User45701 wrote:
    william shatner is the greatest actor that has ever lived.
    Look I can read a lot of things and agree to disagree but are you serious? The best ever actor?:eek: He role as Kirk made him look like an ego driven well you know but I doubt it's far from the real him. Either way there are many better actors who have taken better roles and shown their skill. I challenge you to support why you consider him the best actor because it just boggles the mind!

LilKitty wrote:
    Look I can read a lot of things and agree to disagree but are you serious? The best ever actor?:eek: He role as Kirk made him look like an ego driven well you know but I doubt it's far from the real him. Either way there are many better actors who have taken better roles and shown their skill. I challenge you to support why you consider him the best actor because it just boggles the mind!

I still love DS9 and i reckon it was the best star trek by a mile.

But I will agree William Shatner is class. I love Boston Legal because of Denny Crane. I even loved TG Hooker ( i think thats what it was called), I don't even remember what that program was about, all i remember is him in a police uniform, it was good to me at the time, even though i was very very young, but William made it.

LilKitty wrote:

I think he is the best because he over acts more than any other actor and he is so full of himself and u have to admit if it wasent for him i dont think there would have been any more trek, he made star trek what it is.

You should watch that show on the history channel, "How william shatner changed the world"

also watch the comedy central roast of william shatner.

User45701 wrote:
    I think he is the best because he over acts more than any other actor
    That is enough for me not to think is the best actor ever and proves the point I am trying to make. I don't dislike his acting nor him but I think the best actor doesn't over act.

triple h wrote:
    I still love DS9 and i reckon it was the best star trek by a mile.

But I will agree William Shatner is class. I love Boston Legal because of Denny Crane. I even loved TG Hooker ( i think thats what it was called), I don't even remember what that program was about, all i remember is him in a police uniform, it was good to me at the time, even though i was very very young, but William made it.

But you're not actually agreeing he is the best actor ever are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Yea William Shatners over acting was an integral part of Star Treks appeal, it wouldn't have been near as popular without him!

TAS has 2 votes, I didn't think it'd get any but it finally has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

To add my two cent I would go with TNG.

I don't see how DS9 is so popular. I reckon it is the worse trek series by a long shot. The actor who played Sisko was wooden, this was particularly noticable in the first couple of seasons. I really thought that his character was undermined in that episode where he was pursuing his ex security officer who defected to the marquis; quite how anyone's suppose to believe that a starfleet officer can commit genocide by destroying an entire planet of people (even if it does happen to be a marquis base) without being stripped of his rank and sent to prison I don't know.

Also the most annoying thing about DS9 was the whole Bajoran mysticism and storyline about the par wraiths. This was pure fantasy and completely not sci fi at all. I'm talking about the whole Dukat thing here where he seduces Kai Winn in the lead up to the end of the series and everything in the rest of the series was predicted in one bajoran scripture or another.

The other major thing that got on my goat about DS9 was that it just had too many boring action sequences or episodes. The whole thing with every other trek series was that any action you got had suspense weaved into it and always left you wanting more. The thing with DS9 was that it gave too much without really putting any creativity into the action scenes. The whole war arc that seemed to last for half the series made it feel like every major development of the war was portrayed by the show and this just made it hard to believe. Had the war been made to seem like part of a much bigger picture and that every major event in it didn't happen on screen then that would have been a whole lot better. And finally some of the relationships seemed really implausable, particularly Odo and Major Kira.

• Advertisement

Slice wrote:
    Also the most annoying thing about DS9 was the whole Bajoran mysticism and storyline about the par wraiths. This was pure fantasy and completely not sci fi at all. I'm talking about the whole Dukat thing here where he seduces Kai Winn in the lead up to the end of the series and everything in the rest of the series was predicted in one bajoran scripture or another.
    Well it depends on what type of viewer you are. For those who are Sci Fi purists, anything straying too far into anything genre would probably annoy them. But sci fi and fantasy are very similar genres and it's no surprise to see them intermixed sometimes. For someone like me I really don't mind if either genre has some stuff from the other genre in it as long as the storyline is not crap!

Advertisement