Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F@H SMP Client

Options
  • 31-05-2007 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

How the bejasus am i meant to get this thing working?

I run the batch file all grand, set password. i just make up a random one.

Then run the fah.exe file, and i get all sorts of errors, No Gui like the one i seen in hopeful's.

Fecking frustrating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I run the batch file all grand, set password. i just make up a random one.
    Ah now that's where you're going wrong...
    The password needs to be your windows logon password for the account you're logged in under... this account also needs to have admin privs.
    If you don't use a password for your windows user account, it's time to set one.
    Also very important is you say NO to installing as a service. (although some people seem to have it working)
    And they reccomend you say NO to use IE settings.
    Think you need the dotNet v2 framework thing installed too.

This isn't even where the fun stops though... beware of the p2610's that sometimes go uncredited :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah, i was talking to hopeful about that last night. I didnt read the "read-me" file .... Doh.

Will ive got it working grand now on the work laptop. But im not getting a GUI client like i have seen at hopeful's

And guess what core i have......

Yep you got it a 2610. But atleast with this client both cores are at 100% each instead of 30-50% each.

smpws1.jpg

I don't get any GUI either... it's all console for me. :confused:
    Don't worry 'bout the 2610s though... I've only had 1 go missing out of maybe 4 so far... and at 1523 points for about 26 hours folding*... pfff, even if some do go missing you're still coming out way ahead.
    At least that's what I tell myself :(

* (E6600 @ ~13min/frame)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

would it not just be easier to run two single clients?
    or is there a particular advantage to the SMP one.

You get more points for it as i see.

This is how it looks now:
    smpli4.jpg

This is only a laptop running :

T7200 @ 2.00GHz 4096KB L2

Cant wait to get this running on my opty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it looks like they can get more results, so more points makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me yet is that they're using MPI - I would have expected them to be using OpenMP on an SMP machine. I wonder can I get the source code for a look.

Anti wrote:
    Cant wait to get this running on my opty :D
    Should be interesting alright... apparently these SMP units love lots of L2 cache... so it might even be slower on your opty. :eek:

Ah shíte, just had a p2651 at 80% ... PC crashed (on an unrelated matter) and WU gets corrupted :(
    Back to zero percent... whoop-te-doo. >:|
    Not the first time this has happened either.
    Hate these SMP units sometimes, they're so flakey.

Having a problem getting the SMP running on my home laptop here is a screenshot

smpcp5.jpg

Could it be some local security policy?
    I dunno, could be one for the folding-community forums.

I've quit using the SMP beta client out of sheer disgust... it's just not worth the ass ache.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Anti wrote:
    Yeah, i was talking to hopeful about that last night. I didnt read the "read-me" file .... Doh.

Will ive got it working grand now on the work laptop. But im not getting a GUI client like i have seen at hopeful's

I have no GUI either...there isn't one for the SMP client.
    What you saw was FAHSPY. Its a little app that monitors (and controls if a service) all your folding @home clients. I have four running on three PC's and this makes it easy to see when they finish units, if there is a problem etc. I would recommend it if you run a few clients or are worried about stability as it alerts you to problems.

For me the SMP client runs very stable on my E6320 that is overclocked to 2.8ghz. It puts out one WU every 23 hours on average. The same client and WU takes 48 hours on my X2 3800 @ 2800mhz...just goes to show how good the C2D chip is.

its all about the l2 cache apparently !

And thanks for the link man :)

smpcorema6.jpg

Gotta say im happy with the points the smp client threw me back for 3 days work. Shame i cant get it to run on the other laptop for some reason. Screenshot above.

By the looks of your 24 hours averages you have got the SMP client working well for you now Anti.

I'm going to have to get another rig running if I'm to catch up to you :D

And thats only 1smp client running. Ill have 2 more running soon :)

But yeah the smp client is giving me some very nice results, and its only on its 3rd unit atm.

You stop running the SMP client Anti? Just noticed your last 7 day points don't include any whoppers.

I'm giving it another lash so ahearn doesn't "get" me. :D

/creepy guy who checks other peoples stats

I noticed that too

<---also checks stats :D

no the smp client is still running, but itd doing about 3% a day. And the deadline is july 16th. I better get some points for this mofo !

holy crap that must be a beast... what project is that? :eek:

its a 2610. No idea why its taking so long though, I usually crunch them in a day.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    no the smp client is still running, but itd doing about 3% a day. And the deadline is july 16th. I better get some points for this mofo !

There is something wrong there Anti...SMP clients only have deadlines of four days! Also if it was an SMP client then you will be doing more than 3% per day...restart the client as the SSE optimisations may have become disabled which may explain the huge frame times.

Can you post your FAHlog file here....I can have a look at it and see if we can work out what's going on.

Agreed, for a 2610 that sounds very dodgy... you'd want to be having a few billion frames or something :eek:
    I assumed they'd released some mad new beta smp unit!

Are you getting this deadline from FaHmon?

Check your CPU usage on the cores aswell... the 4 core exe's should be sucking up everything... if mpiexec is taking up significant CPU time during the normal running of the client then it's completely fúcked. (which is a problem that plagued me last time because I unthinkingly said Yes to install as a service)

Just a heads up to all those running the WinSMP client.

The existing client expires on 01/07/2007. the new client is the same as the previous one with just a different expiry date.

You will need to download the new one from HERE.

Best way to update is to install the new client in a different place to your existing one then stop any running clients and just copy the fah.exe and UILANG1.UDB from the new version to the old version folder. Restart the client, delete the new versions folder and you are done.

See the topic HERE for more info.

Happy folding :D

Advertisement