Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mercedes club in Ireland

• 13-06-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know of an existing Mercedes club in Ireland? I know there's 2 main ones in the UK, but i don't really want to join a UK club, would prefer an Irish club.

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Hi 2CV, I run the Leinster section of the Worldwide Mercedes Club. The two UK Clubs you refer to are not actuallu UK Clubs. Our Club
    www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk was formed in the UK in 1952 and it is the only Club that is officially recognised by the Factory. We have approx. 11,000 members Worldwide, with about 300 in Ireland.

The "other" Club, is not actually a Club, it is an internet based group which was formed by the people who used to produce our newsletter !!

We currently have a monthly Gazette produced solely by members, full colour, with new,modern and Classic Mercs featured and it has won magazine awards.

Send me an email/pm and I will give you more details on events in Ireland, we have Regions in Ulster,Munster,Leinster & Connacht !

This was our stand at Ternure '06, we will be there again this year !

General1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Just sent you a PM :-)

Just replied !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Joined up!

Congrats & Welcome to the Club !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

MercMad,
    I have just purchased a 1973 350 sl and am interested in signing up. How do i go about joining?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

trev44 wrote:
    MercMad,
    I have just purchased a 1973 350 sl and am interested in signing up. How do i go about joining?
    Post us a pic! Have a 72 350 myself.

And MercMad I will sign up too despite not finishing the free gazette you gave me at Mosney. :D

trev44 wrote:
    MercMad,

PM sent !! :)
    And MercMad I will sign up too despite not finishing the free gazette you gave me at Mosney

:eek:

.............did I send you details.........cant recall what happened ?? :o

MercMad wrote:
    ......did I send you details.........cant recall what happened ?? :o
    Don't think I got details - just point me in the right direction. Ta!

PM sent also !!

• Advertisement

630419_20070312120358_1.jpg

only have it a week. i reckon i need a new roof though. although visually it is in good condition it is absorbing the rain and lets it through after 2or3 hours. apparently respraying it is only a temp fix.

trev

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

trev44 wrote:
    630419_20070312120358_1.jpg

only have it a week. i reckon i need a new roof though. although visually it is in good condition it is absorbing the rain and lets it through after 2or3 hours. apparently respraying it is only a temp fix.

trev

Trev, you lucky sod. I have been lusting after that car for weeks now.
    That picture as actually my desktop background. Is it as good as it looks?
    I've looked at several different 350/450 SL's in recent weeks and been disappointed every time. That car was a little out of my price range but I've come to realise that, if I want a really nice one I'll have to pony up:mad:
    They're really well made cars and mechanically robust but a lot of the older ones have corrosion problems.
    I bought the "Chris Bass 280-560SL & SLC buyers guide" on Amazon books and would recommend it as a good source for information.
    Good luck with your new motor and If You ever get bored with it, we can arrange a one week swap with my Stag:)
    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa80/hifive_album/stag2.jpg

I bought the "Chris Bass 280-560SL & SLC buyers guide" on Amazon books and would recommend it as a good source for information.

.........interesting !!

That book has only been released, and the writer is known to me personally. Chris Bass is a Mercedes Club member and is in fact the editor of our award winning monthly Gazette !!

MercMad wrote:
    Chris Bass is a Mercedes Club member and is in fact the editor of our award winning monthly Gazette !!
    Must dig it out of the green bin when I get home then. ;)

trev44, thats a fine looking car. Blue is the best colour! Had you an idea the top was leaky before you bought it, or was the hardtop on? What's on the clock?

Hifive - don't give up hope, you'll find your SL!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

I would like to join also, could someone PM me the details,

Thanks

R

redzer007 wrote:
    I would like to join also, could someone PM me the details,

Thanks

R

PM sent !! :)

thanks hifive and mercmad.
    i looked at 7 before i went for this one. it had a bare metal respray in 95 so 0 rust issues (so far !!). the one thing that everyone who had anything to say about buyinig these cars was that the big issue was rust rust rust. 85k on the clock and i would tend to believe it as it came with an encyclopedia of MOT certs and garage invoices.
    i started out looking for a 911 but changed tack as there are loads of these around so you can hunt around for the ONE.

your stag looks good too hifive

Yes its always nice to see history in detail !!

Best of luck with it !!

The Stag looks terrific in red, looks like a clean car too !

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

The Stag looks terrific in red, looks like a clean car too ![/QUOTE]

Thanks, it's signal red which was not available for the stag but was on other Triumphs. I think its nicer than the pimento red which is ubiquitous but can look a little orangy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MercNovice

Hi,

I too have just got a 1972 350SL. I'm a complete novice and was wondering about the details of that club? Also, will it run OK on unleaded petrol? Any thoughts on a reliable garage/restorer to give it a proper service in the Dublin area?

• Advertisement

Hello,
    I will send you a PM about the Merc Club, also that car will run with unleaded no problem. I expect it probably has been running on unleaded for quite some time, minor adjustment to the ignition is all that would be required.

The best person to deal with servicing would be Sean Murphy at Greenmount Motors, number is 01-4542178.

Show us some photos !!

Good luck !

MercNovice - post us some pics of your "new" car. :)

And FWIW, I used Sean Murphy (as recommended by MercMad) for my '72 350SL and found him quick and effective. He didn't do anything major, but fixed a really annoying vibration by remounting my exhaust.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 R129

Hi,
    Just bought a 1971 250C W114 series mechanically perfect but needs new sills, also own 3 other Mercs. can anyone tell me what the benefits / advantages of joining mercedes club are?

PM sent ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭bazzjazz

Mercmad, can you send me details for joining the club also please?

I have a '99 300TD Estate and am looking at getting an older Merc as a second car, so would appreciate some pointers!

cheers,

Barry

PM sent !

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Hi Trev44
    How is the car going for you? I too looked at this car, the history was impeccable on it. I noticed the water lodging under the soft top, but never considered it was leaking. Not sure they are meant to be 100% waterproof though?? Maybe it needs to be waxed or something? I did not notice any tears or splits in it myself.

I'm still looking for an SL, looked at a few rustbuckets also. Have broadened my search to include 450's now as well, man they go like stink ! Pity the one i test drove had a rotten/broken lh rear chassis !

As an aside, if anyone knows of a good SL for sale (71-79) please let me know !

Cheers
    SUMO12

hi sumo12,
    have the car 2 months now and have had some problems but nothing to stop driving it in the sun today. it turned out that gadgett controlling the automatic choke was broken and the choke was stuck on. i brought it to greenmount motors and they cleverly put in a manual override and it runs very well now. it was easier to put in a manual switch in than to source a new 'gadgett' (cant remember the name).
    as for the roof it needed to be treated and its waterproof for about 5 hours after my 1st diy job so i think my 2nd should do the trick.
    it has one more leak that i havnt traced yet but i havent really tried yet either!!
    let me know how your search goes
    t

ps mercmad i called up and gave my details to join the club but nothing happened can you please send me the details so i can try joining again.
    thanks

• Advertisement

sumo12 wrote:
    As an aside, if anyone knows of a good SL for sale (71-79) please let me know !
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055148299

In case you missed this thread - there's an SL in that auction on 21/10/07. :)

Advertisement