Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kendo in Galway

Options
  • 08-06-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just putting the feelers out to see how many (if indeed, any) people would in interested in seeing a Kendo club start up in Galway.

I've been in contact with someone through the Irish Kendo Federation website and he sent me on the following reply:

"Current policy about new clubs is that we can offer instruction by a dan grade, generally once a week. This is with the proviso that there are enough people interested who will stick. We would offer a ten week beginners course provided there were enough people paid in advance to cover the instructors costs (say about ten people). After the first beginners programme, we would offer a second intermediate 10 week course after which people will be qualified to wear the Men. from there on, its negotiable.

"This means that enough enthusiastic people be interested so that they can advertise, get people to turn up etc etc etc. If you're interested in spending some time and effort, please let us know and we'll give you all the help and support we can.

"Alternatively, you may like to wait until an experienced graded instructor turns up."

So if enough people are interested feel free to show your support here and we'll see how we go.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo
    http://www.irishkendofederation.org/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You might want to investigate NUI-Galway to see what they are offering before moving ahead with a new club? See you have already posted in the MA forum of these boards under Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

I was in NUIG up until two years go and there was no Kendo club and I've been checking religiously to make sure one hasn't started up. Believe me, if there were one in Galway already it would save me a lot of work. So will I put your name on the list?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Mahell wrote:
    So will I put your name on the list?
    My name on the list? Whoa! I left for the States about 1 1/2 years ago and working over there on contract at present. Besides, I already have my hands full part-time instructing taekwondo nights and weekends, and just started (1 year training) Iaijutsu (Muso Shinden Ryu).

OK ok......I'll put you down as a tentative "maybe" in that case!

Mahell wrote:
    OK ok......I'll put you down as a tentative "maybe" in that case!
    That's a big "maybe," especially if I get another contract over here and renew my flat lease. Any more interest by others? Just curious...

• Advertisement

Nope. Dead on its feet it looks like. Might try throwing an ad in one of the local papers to see if I can drum up a bit of support for it. But right now its a non-starter unfortunately...

Well good luck! Have never trained in Kendo. Not sure what numbers of students you would need for a start. In Iaijutsu we have only a handful of students and a very old sword master from Japan, who is semi-retired and only works with us.

Advertisement