Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Tuam the most depressing kip you have ever seen?

• 24-05-2007 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

If I have to spend another year in this toilet of a town I will cut myself up in bits and post myself to China. It has nothing to redeem it, the nightlife is pure dangerous, the shops are overpriced junk and there is nowhere to park or get a nice meal. A half megaton bomb could be put to good use if anyone had a mind to drop it on the Square.

Tuam - dump or kip? 4 votes

Is Tuam the biggest kip you have ever seen?
    0% 0 votes
    I've never been to Tuam but I hear it is dire and should be burned
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where is "Tuam rocks" option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I couldn't bring myself to include one - it would be like putting a poll about the ebola virus and asking people to vote on why they thought it would be nice to have your internal organs turn to mush and leak out through your eyes. I also noted how little traffic this corner of the forum had and didn't expect much in the line of feedback.

For people who have never been to Tuam, it smells like a mixture of burned tyres, rotting fish and cowdung.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Castlerea. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I dont think its that bad at all, Ballinasloe on the otherhand..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Padi im born and bred in ballinasloe and i agree with you.The town has gone to the dogs.I am 30 an in my late teens the town was booming load sof employment 3 nightclubs busy 4 nights aweek now its like aghost town.The rest of teh country has gone forward while bsloe is in reverse.OP if its that bad get the hell out move town move country stop whinging and get the flock out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Johnny Rotten has roots here. Might explain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. . the best thing about TOMB is Tony & Dara O'Neill's cycle shop. . & worrabow Frank Parsons & the new Lidl ain't half bad . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

AMHRASACH wrote:
    . . the best thing about TOMB is Tony & Dara O'Neill's cycle shop. . & worrabow Frank Parsons & the new Lidl ain't half bad . .
    The bike shop, LIDL, English Steves car tuning shop, MG tool hire, Marios chipper. Thats about it really. Chume sux.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Ballinasloe is worse than tuam. Both are sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Lads Longford is the worse, even worse than tuam or ballinasloe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

sickpuppy wrote:
    Padi im born and bred in ballinasloe and i agree with you.The town has gone to the dogs.I am 30 an in my late teens the town was booming load sof employment 3 nightclubs busy 4 nights aweek now its like aghost town.The rest of teh country has gone forward while bsloe is in reverse.OP if its that bad get the hell out move town move country stop whinging and get the flock out of there.
    Until I saw this post I was going to argue that Ballinaslow seems like a nice, bustling little town but the last time I was there was about 20 years ago and you've explained nicely how things seem to have gone downhill there. :(

As for Tuam, I haven't been there recently enough to know but it is my experience that as we all grow older we begin to wonder what else is out there and feel that there must be more to life than where we are and what we are doing. Maybe it is time you flew the nest 'cptr and looked into going somewhere else for a while. :) If you're away long enough you may actually enjoy returning home, I know I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Tuam is nice when you go a way for a while and then come back for a weekend or so. I also like:

Monday Night sessions in the Brogue
    The Guinness in Junies
    The amateur drama's in the Mall
    the Music
    Tom Murphy
    Goin' down to the stadium on a Sunday to watch the Stars get beaten.
    Standing outside the town hall watching all the people go by, and you know every single one of them.

Not a bad oul' place in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

We just moved to the countryside 5 miles from Tuam. I have to say so far I haven't been disappointed.
    It seems like the type of town that's going places, It reminds me of where i grew up (Tallaght) before it got The Square, if anyone's been there lately (20 years on) it's developed so much.
    I hope Tuam starts to go that direction, but as every one knows being in the west maybe it'll take 50 years.

Let us know a few decent spots for a pint!

Family is from Tuam, most of my roots come from there, and in recent years my parents have built their home there. That was 3 years ago, yet I have only ever lived there for a total of, uhm, 4 months.

Tuam is a nice place to go back to every once in a while, the parks nice to walk through. The old swimming pool was terrible though.. haven't gone into the new one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Nothing wrong with Tuam per se - the people on the other hand.....

ya have to agree that if there was a 'strange characters of Tuam' thread, it would be a lot longer than the Galway one!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

interceptor et all,
    why not get involved in your community?
    theres plenty of organisations out there that badly need the help of volunteers!
    as the old saying goes 'you only get out what you put in'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had the misfortune of going to school in Tuam, and have done my best to avoid setting foot in that town for the last 14 years.

It should have been nuked years ago.

My biggest problem there was the mindset; and the morons from the Belclare region.

Yeah, much of Tuams problems lie with the dirty buffers who come in from a few miles outside the town. They shouldn't be let in on weekends or bank holidays. They cause traffic problems, smell, are unintelligent, and drink all our tome Tuam beer. Buffs, skirt!

• Advertisement

Jamey wrote:
    Yeah, much of Tuams problems lie with the dirty buffers who come in from a few miles outside the town. They shouldn't be let in on weekends or bank holidays. They cause traffic problems, smell, are unintelligent, and drink all our tome Tuam beer. Buffs, skirt!

Stall the breeze! It's not as if the shams don't stink to high heaven; thinking that they're the greatest thing since the sliced pan. When I said that the place should be nuked, I didn't say that the population should be evacuated first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There was a great wine shop in Tuam called Bodega. That was the only reason I stop in Tuam, now I have no reason.

I have never met ruder people in a pub than the people I came accross in a Tuam pub, I forget what pub it was, but talk about filthy looks, people blocking the bar on purpose, sneering, laughing and whispering.

lightening wrote:
    I have never met ruder people in a pub than the people I came accross in a Tuam pub, I forget what pub it was, but talk about filthy looks, people blocking the bar on purpose, sneering, laughing and whispering.

That'll be the inbreeding. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fey! wrote:
    That'll be the inbreeding. :p
    lmfao.:D
    My experience of Tuam.
    A few years ago i was doing a job there and i met 4 tradesmen from Tuam on the job. afterwards we were chatting , then one of the 4 said goodbye and left, the other 3 proceeded to tell me what a wan*** he was, not to be trusted etc. then one of the 3 remaining left, the other 2 started to tell me that he was only a wan*** / boll***s as well, or words to that effect. then another one left, and the last guy told me that the guy that just left was the worst wan*** of them all.
    Lovely People.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

galwayrush wrote:
    lmfao.:D
    My experience of Tuam.
    A few years ago i was doing a job there and i met 4 tradesmen from Tuam on the job. afterwards we were chatting , then one of the 4 said goodbye and left, the other 3 proceeded to tell me what a wan*** he was, not to be trusted etc. then one of the 3 remaining left, the other 2 started to tell me that he was only a wan*** / boll***s as well, or words to that effect. then another one left, and the last guy told me that the guy that just left was the worst wan*** of them all.
    Lovely People.:D
    You should have heard what he said about you when you left.

A quote from a colleague: "don't stop at the lights!, keep the car rolling as the knackers will nick the wheels".

He hates the place, "full of knackers".

I've driven through a few time but have never stopped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Tuam's alright in small doses, like any town. I'd agree its going places, but theres a lot of loose ends to tie up. Needs proper leadership (no offence to Sally-Anne). Think local government in Ireland in general needs a hell of a kick in the ass. Ireland could be a great country, a sustainable power.

But anyway, I spend most days in Galway, and I live outside Tuam, so I can take it or leave it. Most people in Tuam are nice (I work in a shop in the centre of the town) but theres a lot of "characters" too. Same as any other town.

Proxy wrote:
    Needs proper leadership (no offence to Sally-Anne).

We've got it now, Martin Ward is the new mayor (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I'm wide. Nobody better at strategy than a traveller (seriously).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

I used to deliver milk there in the 70s and I never noticed but as I was drinking about 7-8 pints a day maybe that explains it. I love milk. I think what you need is someone to write a grating monotonous unsingable song about your village people like what had bin dunn in Fatten rye(Oh aye). They have great gossip in that town, so much so that the man about town can have two life stories, the one he lives and the one they talk about behind his crack.

Oh aye a feel in Athenry is worth two in Tuam and three in Ballinasloe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement