Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Messages - is this the latest scam?

• 27-05-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

So, just wondering. I had no idea what a service message was (or if they were even used). But on Wednesday my Mum started receiving these messages - some from the scumbags at Foneclub and some from Realm Comms. (owned by Tom Higgins of Irish Psychics Live. No comments required!).

It took me a while to figure out what they were - when you access the message, the phone automatically downloads the content from GPRS, so it appears like an SMS.

She had trouble before from these people which I sorted by texting stop to their numbers (after they had taken €20 off her), but I'm guessing service messages aren't charged?

I turned off service messages at the handset, but I'm worried that because the phone automatically downloaded the content, she's been subscribed or some other such bull****.

Can anyone shed some light on this practice by these scumbags?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Just copying my post from this thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054874934

Foneclub sent my dad a service message with a subscription link via gprs, he didn't know wtf happened and tried to exit the message, a couple of seconds later he got a message welcoming him to FONECLUB - a monthly subscription of e35 and e2 per message received. In the the 2 days he was a member he received 8 messages all costing e2 each plus the e35 for the monthly subscription. The texts were a load of bollox, along the lines of 'Congratulations to John Joe from Tuam who won e800'. I wouldn't mind so much if he actually chose to sign up to it but they just sent him a random message tricking him to joining.

We should send thousands of letters without stamps to Tom Higgins house in Wicklow, so the ****er has to pay the postage cost and see how the **** likes it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Simply report this to the local Gardai as fraud . No point complaining to the tossers who call themselves telecoms regulators here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I received 3 of these damn things today. Major complaints to the network etc tomorrow. Very sneaky, so there are. The service provider was Opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Everytime I buy credit, I get a message saying "Fun" and an internet link. I never subscribed to any **** like this and it takes 2.50 of my credit every time I get credit. I texted "Unsubscribe" to the number (57030) but it doesn't seem to have worked. What should I do? There is no info saying how to unregister or anything like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

be extra careful now the forst symbian series 60 virus is out

Trojan-SMS.Symb.OS.Viver.
    Viver is not a harmless concept study like recent Podloso Linux virus for iPod. If you get infected with this one, it can cost you some pretty money - after installation on your phone, Viver starts sending SMS messages to the premium SMS numbers, thus accruing charges to your mobile account and generating income for the virus author.
    While quite a few similar viruses were spotted for all JAVA running mobile phones, Viver is the first to be specifically designed for S60 based smartphones.

Tom Higgins would just love something that automated the process of making money .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

My younger brother was recently subscriibed to boltblue who took 5 euro a day from his phone.
    Eventually I sent them an email on his behalf saying I wished to be unsubscribed immediately and refunded what was owed to me 50 euro approx, and they never even bothered to reply.
    I had to email two more times before they confirmed he'd been unsubscribed, but refused to refund anything.
    My brother was just relieved he wouldn't be recieving any more messages.

It sickens me that they manage to get away with this! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I got one of those messages into my service inbox the other day. I could who e500 just by clicking. I feel so lucky. Does the law on unsolicited text messages not apply here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

most people dont realise that when they register with the SP for free credot they need to OPT OUT of text marketing.

there are very few companies sending unsolcited texts so no point going to the gardai unless youve been through the hoops with the company itself and regtel.

follow the steps here to unsubscribe : http://www.regtel.ie/
    and then contact the company for information, forward there reposone to regtel and wait.
    the gf just got a 78euro refund chq by doing the above

Advertisement