Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Best Star Trek Film?

Options
  • 07-05-2007 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what people out there think the best Star Trek film is. Personally I am of the view that the wrath of Khan is the best with the undiscovered country a close second, the voyage home a close third and first contact a close fourth. The worst in my view is the final frontier, what a terrible, terrible film. Anyway you decide.

Best Star Trek Film? 43 votes

Star Trek 1: The Motion Picture
    0% 0 votes
    Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
    0% 0 votes
    Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock
    37% 16 votes
    Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home
    4% 2 votes
    Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier
    6% 3 votes
    Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country
    0% 0 votes
    Star Trek: Generations
    13% 6 votes
    Star Trek: First Contact
    11% 5 votes
    Star Trek: Insurrection
    25% 11 votes
    Star Trek: Nemesis
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wrath of Kahn would be my favourite as well.

The most recent TNG movie would be the one I think is the worst... the one with the clone of Picard... the title even escapes me at the moment...

At least Final Frontier still had some good character moments....

EDIT: ah... there's a poll now... Nemesis it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Nemesis bucked the trend in that every even numbered Trek film was absolutely amazing. That was unfortunate in my view. The TNG films should have ended on a bang not a whimper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It can only be the Wrath of Khan, why even bother with a poll? Everyone already knows the answer.

Now, second best Trek film? That'd be a doozy.

Nemesis bucked the trend in that every even numbered Trek film was absolutely amazing.

That 'Even numbered' trend is actually a complete misunderstanding.

In reality, it's more of a case of every Trek film that Nicholas Meyer was involved in was good. Star Trek II? Written and Directed by Meyer. Star Trek IV? Written by Meyer. Star Trek VI? Written and Directed by Meyer.

It is infact, First Contact that bucked the trend in being the only good Trek film that Nicholas Meyer wasn't involved in.

FYI. ;)

It is coincidence. But that coincidence was broken by Nemesis.

• Advertisement

It is coincidence. But that coincidence was broken by Nemesis.

No it wasn't. Nemesis isn't any different to other Trek films that Nicholas Meyer wasn't involved in.

It is infact, First Contact that bucked the trend in being the only good Trek film that Nicholas Meyer wasn't involved in.

FYI. ;)

I dont agree. you are overlooking generations which is a good film aswell as the search for Spock. And Nemesis is different. Data dies and that was an emotionally traumatic experience for me

I dont agree. you are overlooking generations which is a good film

I'm not overlooking Generations, it was clear-cut garbage. And the entire plot was pathetic...
    aswell as the search for Spock.

I'll grant you it wasn't the worst, but compared to II, IV, VI, and First Contact, it's still a poor film.
    And Nemesis is different. Data dies and that was an emotionally traumatic experience for me

Nope, it's also garbage. Worse than Generations even! And Data's death was not only meaningless, but they added in such a blatant 'Get out of death free' card as to make something that may have had some point, utterly wastefull and pointless.

Your a funny guy. Especially in regards to Data's death, I would agree with you. I like generations, I think its good. Its just a case of different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

no borg / no angry klingons = no good.

II and VI coming in second and third after first contact.

can't believe the search for spock was even mentioned.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should watch search for spock again. Its decent.

Search for Spock is actually pretty good.

The whole stealing the Enterprise scene is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Aye, Search For Spock was decent. A bit slow going maybe, and I doubt it would ever be anyones first or second choice, but it's not a bad film.

Wrath of Khan gets the #1 vote from me too. Either Undiscovered Country or First Contact would be next.

I also really like The Motion Picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

The Wrath Of Khan. Has to be no. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Wrath of Khan is no.1 star trek film for me also.

Khhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn.........Khhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Wrath of Khan is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

I didn't vote because I haven't seen all the movies, most of them but not all. I tried watch the first one but kept falling asleep(seriously, although it was as I was laying in bed and ready to sleep soon anyway) but basically it just goes on too long and the storyline doesn't seem to be interesting enough to warrant that time.

The only other Star Trek movies I haven't seen are 2 and 3, although a saw a small bit of one or both.

I'm wondering though, with the announcement of an 11th movie being released in I think it was 2008, will this poll need to be edited to accommodate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Search for Spock is actually pretty good.

The whole stealing the Enterprise scene is great.

Ye the music during that scene is very good.
    I also liked the fact it was the first we got the klingon POV and who i assumed was either the klingons commanders wife or else his subordinate, she didnt mind dying and wished the commander Ka'plah (success) before he blew up the ship he was on
    LilKitty wrote:
    I didn't vote because I haven't seen all the movies, most of them but not all. I tried watch the first one but kept falling asleep(seriously, although it was as I was laying in bed and ready to sleep soon anyway) but basically it just goes on too long and the storyline doesn't seem to be interesting enough to warrant that time.

The only other Star Trek movies I haven't seen are 2 and 3, although a saw a small bit of one or both.

I'm wondering though, with the announcement of an 11th movie being released in I think it was 2008, will this poll need to be edited to accommodate it?

emm.... Please watch Star Trek II

Oh and the poll cant be edited because it only fits 10 options unless we just start a new poll and dont include the movie that gets the least amounts of votes here, probbley insurrection,final frontier or the motion picture

LilKitty wrote:
    That's why it's unkindly referred to as Star Trek: The "Slow" Motion Picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I quite liked insurrection....

• Advertisement

I didn't think it was too bad either... Far superior to Nemesis which was an atrocity.

It seems to be the forgotten Star Trek film though... It's a long, long time since I've seen it aired anywhere.

User45701 wrote:
    Oh and the poll cant be edited because it only fits 10 options unless we just start a new poll and dont include the movie that gets the least amounts of votes here, probbley insurrection,final frontier or the motion picture

I have a poll currently running that has 11 options because the moderator for that forum allowed it, if you ask the mod of this forum and give a reason like you want to include all the movies(when the 11th one is released that is) they may let you.

That's why it's unkindly referred to as Star Trek: The "Slow" Motion Picture.

My ex told me that, totally agree!

Yeah, I heard a lot of people thought it was crap but it was actually one of my favs, I liked the storyline and it was better than First Contact, they just had to have a movie that brought the borg into it didn't they? Not to mention the ridiculous storyline based around why they were involved!:eek:

Insurrection is decent. Wrath of Khan the best. Final frontier is definitely the worst.

Quote from futurama.

Nimoy- I knew how to get the best out of Bill (Shatner) on Star Trek 4 when I directed it.

Shatner- and I knew how to get the best out of me when I directed Star Trek 5.

lol.

Says it all though. Final Frontier sucks cause Shatner cant direct.

Insurrection is decent. Wrath of Khan the best. Final frontier is definitely the worst.

Quote from futurama.

Nimoy- I knew how to get the best out of Bill (Shatner) on Star Trek 4 when I directed it.

Shatner- and I knew how to get the best out of me when I directed Star Trek 5.

lol.

Says it all though. Final Frontier sucks cause Shatner cant direct.

I'm a Futurama fan so I know that quote well and then when he says that, they star at him like he's an idiot!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

shatner is amazing best actor of all time.
    and yes that episode of futurama is one of my fav's along with "Rosewells that end wells"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The Wrath Of Khan, ftw.

Oh, and the episode of Futurama witht the cast of Star: Trek was absolutly hilarious :D

User45701 wrote:
    shatner is amazing best actor of all time.

How can you think that?:eek: Sure he's good in Boston Legal but his performance in TOS left so much to be desired. I heard his earlier stuff was alright though. Then he was in TJ Hooker:eek:! He's a good actor but hardly amazing.

• Advertisement

I didn't think it was too bad either... Far superior to Nemesis which was an atrocity.

It seems to be the forgotten Star Trek film though... It's a long, long time since I've seen it aired anywhere.

In fairness, watching the cast of Star Trek try and burp the theme tune for 90 minutes would be far superior to Nemesis. It was just a truly awful, turgid movie.

But yeah, Insurrection was watchable. I wouldn't call it good though.

Advertisement