Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

sorry if my question has been answered already in this thread.

will this router work with NTL Broadband?

and if not, can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks..

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Sponge Bob wrote:
    if you are connected to the net then note the ip on your pc, assigned by dhcp from the ntl box, which will be 192.169.1.51 or 192.168.1.52 (or whatever, it could be 192.168.0.37 ) and assigned by dhcp from the ntl box.

your netopia should have a nearby ip such as 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.1.53 as it ALSO got an ip by DHCP from the ntl box .

which ntl box are you referring to? my ntl modem assigns a public ip directly to the pc? what your referring to above would imply the ntl modem runs it's own dhcp server and acts as a router

el_diablo: from my own testing, no. but according to what sponge bob is saying (assuming im understanding what he means) then yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ah OK kdouglas, I did not realise the ntl box assigned a public .I would suspect the netopia will not work with NTL so

most isps (wireless or wired) assign a private ip ( A 192.168.NUM.NUM ) from their 'box ' which means the isps box has a dhcp server built in but not ntl it seems .

Sponge Bob: i thought you had actually tried setting it up with an ntl modem, but yea, ntl assign a public ip, so not possible to use the netopia router with it unless you've got another router in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Picked one up this morning in Curry's in Blanchardstown. No real problems sales guy just asked me if I knew if my line was broadbank capable to which I replied of course :D , after that it was just name and address (assume for warranty purposes) and didnt even ask for my telephone number. Thanks OP :)

• Advertisement

kdouglas wrote:
    Sponge Bob: i thought you had actually tried setting it up with an ntl modem, but yea, ntl assign a public ip, so not possible to use the netopia router with it unless you've got another router in place

I did say this in post #6 in this thread , some 3 months back, I have not tested beyond adsl myself .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52322126&postcount=6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshki
    Excuse my ignorance but will this work with Irish Broadband wireless? I'd like to think it doesn't matter because ultimately it comes in via a cat5 cable which can be connected into the router but I'd like to be sure. Anyway, great deal - I've been looking for one.

It _could_ if you persuaded it that the hinternet was not out thru the ADSL port but on the hub (it is a 4 port hub and wireless hub)

You would have to disable the internet (the WAN interface) completely I would wager but maybe not . Have not tried that one but I will if they install a freebie for me for testing purposes .

you could always hard code an ip address like 192.168.100.1 on the ADSL interface to keep it quiet if you could not actually disable it.

By the same logic if it worked with IBB it would work with Metro too.

You will also need to make sure the DHCP server bit of the Netopia ( in the expert config somewhere) did not START assigning IP addresses with 192.168.1.1 as it does now , changing the start of the DHCP range from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 will stop that . Do this before it 'conflicts' with the IBB box whose Gateway I will wager is 192.168.1.1

By the same logic you should turn off the DHCP server on the IBB box to 192.168.1.99 so that no address can be assigned twice or other confuzzlement or else turn off the Netopia DHCP but then what happens to the wireless clients ??

but I have not played with wireless or with cable systems and if you dig around in the thread others have got it working with wireless providers .

also note gob smacks 2 posts about 10 posts back where he said he was ON THE NET after switching off DHCP, and with NTL. I assumed that NTL had allocated an ip address for him from DHCP but it must be a public .

soz, do not get the Netopia for NTL so.

went to settings>controll panel>admin tools>componet services>dhcp manager> and I turned it off(disabled.Is this correct?)

ethernet from ntl to netopia with crossover to laptop correct?

Thiink I am wrong with disabling dhcp please can any one correct me?

When I do this i am conected to the net but I cant go to the eircom website http://192.168.1.254/ IE says can not find sever and firefox says connection timed out?can I change the password and usermane to what I want?Thanks for the help!

it seems he did get online alright, sounds like he was using a wired connection going through the netopia though, which would mean the ntl modem would still assign a public ip directly to his laptop
    it _may_ be possible to get the ip assigned over wireless also, but odds are ntl will only assign one ip per connection and you would be restricted to only using one device at a time, although it would be interesting if multiple public ip's could be used

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

my brother went to buy one of these today in Harvey Normans in Airside, he gave them the phone number and the sales guy proceeded to order broadband from Eircom so he had to cancel the order.

Think he might just ave been unlucky by getting a sales guy who knew what he was doing.

kdouglas wrote:
    el_diablo: from my own testing, no. but according to what sponge bob is saying (assuming im understanding what he means) then yes

ok, thanks . there's so many routers etc on the market. I'm confused....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

dubmick wrote:
    my brother went to buy one of these today in Harvey Normans in Airside, he gave them the phone number and the sales guy proceeded to order broadband from Eircom so he had to cancel the order.

Think he might just ave been unlucky by getting a sales guy who knew what he was doing.

But for them to order broadband they will probably ask for an eircom bill, proof of name and address, so if they ask for anything like that say you will be back and go to another shop.

Regards

• Advertisement

kdouglas wrote:
    it seems he did get online alright, sounds like he was using a wired connection going through the netopia though, which would mean the ntl modem would still assign a public ip directly to his laptop

possible , that would mean his router had no IP at ALL of its own which explains everything :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Try Curry's in Blanchardstown, I got one today no probs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

can this be used with ICE Broadband which assigns static ip to its customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

lads I got it today in PC World in Airside, the sales guy just checked if the number I gave him was ok for broadband on the Eircom site.

So if you are in Airside don't go to Harvey Normans go to PC World instead as Harvey Norman want you to put the order in for broadband there and then.

• how do i disable thewep secuirty on the modem. I cannot configure my wireless card without disabling the settings.

Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

go to http://192.168.1.254/
    Wireless -> Advanced -> Privacy and then turn it off

I think that should do the trick

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Great bloody great!! My old router sat down last night so I bit the bullet and opened the box. I have ntl broadband and so I ran an ethernet cable from it's modem to my old router. But this netopia router doesn't have an ethernet 'in' socket; only a telephone-type socket. Any ideas on what I can or should do or should I put it back in the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bit of a nonce at this wireless stuff but picked one of these up on impulse. I already have Eircom broadband and a Netopia router, can I split the telephone line and run a cable to another location, set up the second Netopia and connect that to Eircom as well. If so how would I set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bmaxi wrote:
    Bit of a nonce at this wireless stuff but picked one of these up on impulse. I already have Eircom broadband and a Netopia router, can I split the telephone line and run a cable to another location, set up the second Netopia and connect that to Eircom as well. If so how would I set it up?
    The new wireless Netopia is a direct replacement for your old one. You can setup the old one on another extension (if needs must) but only one at a time can be in use.
    hansov wrote:
    Any ideas on what I can or should do or should I put it back in the box?
    Put it back in the box I'd say. I think it's been proved a few posts earlier that it will not work with NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

......and so it's off to adverts.ie I go! If somebody off this post wants it you'll see it on Computer Equipment FS forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Is there any good programs or sites that help configure my PC's BB connection to the optimum settings? I have this router, but just want to ensure it's running to its full potential. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

kaizersoze wrote:
    The new wireless Netopia is a direct replacement for your old one. You can setup the old one on another extension (if needs must) but only one at a time can be in use.

Thanks for that. My original intention was to have a spare so no loss really. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭markjobrien

What are the steps needed to use this with BT broadband i can't figure it out can someone help

What are the steps needed to use this with BT broadband i can't figure it out can someone help
    Set it up on the phoneline the same way as the old one.
    Connect it to your pc with the yellow ethernet cable.
    Open Internet Explorer. You should be greeted by a login page that contains the Eircom username and password.
    Delete those and type in your BT user/pass and click connect. Make sure to put @btbb at the end of your username (username@btbb)
    If you don't get the login page straight away, type http://192.168.1.254 in the address bar and click go.
    Click connect and then enter your BT details. Thats it.

BTW, If you're asked for a password when you try to access the router, type admin for username and 1234 for password.

kaizersoze wrote:

Put it back in the box I'd say. I think it's been proved a few posts earlier that it will not work with NTL.

so does anyone know of a similar product that will work with NTL Broadband?

my modem is upstairs but I want to be able to access the internet anywhere in the house on my laptop.. thanks in advance...;)

Any wireless router with a WAN socket (ethernet in) that doesn't have a DSL modem built in should work.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Any wireless router with a WAN socket (ethernet in) that doesn't have a DSL modem built in should work.
    thanks for that. I'll have a look....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Which firmware is best to use? If you go direct to the Netopia site, it shows 7.6.1 R4 as the latest firmware.
    But if you use the link within the admin pages of the router it shows 7.7.0 R3
    I wonder if the 7.6.1 R4 gets rid of the eircom screens?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Which firmware is best to use? If you go direct to the Netopia site, it shows 7.6.1 R4 as the latest firmware.
    But if you use the link within the admin pages of the router it shows 7.7.0 R3
    I wonder if the 7.6.1 R4 gets rid of the eircom screens?

Has anyone tried it yet?
    I tried to update with the one linked in the admin page and it failed several times for some reason. The one on the Netopia site (7.6.1 R4) updated first time. And no, it doesn't remove the Eircom branding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

Ok I'll be ranting here for a while so please bear with me thanks :p

Ok so My pc has no Ethernet or wireless capabilities so I've got a hair brained scheme that I would like some help with.

I'm with bt and I use a zyxel router through the usb port. The main reasons I plan on buying the router are:
    1. For use when I get a new PC
    2. For connecting a psp, ds, wii or laptop to it
    3. Obviously because its a bargain ;)

My brother has a laptop so I was thinking could I install the zyxel router on it, then install the netopia on it using these instructions in the first posts.

My brother then would bring his laptop away leaving a configured netopia*** router for Ds/PSP and the remaining zyxel router just for my pc.

Would this work? thanks very much :cool:

P.s *** Would the netopia router function normally with just the power supply cable and the internet line plugged in? -aka-(would it need to be hooked up to the laptop to work?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement